Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Ok the horizontal flicker is the key. That is a direct representation of failing side tab drivers. If you can pinpoint the exact side is causing it by disconnecting those ribbon cables on the side of the panel one at a time then you'll find out which side it is. But I'm pretty sure its the side where you have to leave the ribbon disconnected from the tcon
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
      Ok the horizontal flicker is the key. That is a direct representation of failing side tab drivers. If you can pinpoint the exact side is causing it by disconnecting those ribbon cables on the side of the panel one at a time then you'll find out which side it is. But I'm pretty sure its the side where you have to leave the ribbon disconnected from the tcon
      It's the furthest cable on the left of the Tcon which would leave it to be the right side. I just haven't gotten the bezel off to inspect all the ribbon cables. Nothing appears bad on the back side of the cables but because they go inside the bezel I can't see the rest of em. I have been able to disconnect them one at a time from the back side however, it doesn't matter which one I disconnect, the tv will still power on. My question is, do all of them have to be removed from the right side? I figured if I disconnect the bad ribbon cable, why doesn't that clean up the picture? Is it because it's still shorted and connected to the panel?

Comment

yes all of them have to be removed from the right side not just disconnected from the boards but removed from the panel as well every single one on the right side

Comment

Golgo13.... I still don't think you and freakaftr8 are talking about the same cables.
          in your post, you mention "Nothing appears bad on the back side of the cables but because they go inside the bezel I can't see the rest of em". The cables that you appear to be referencing are the cables between the TCON and the panel. THESE are NOT the cables that need your attention and they DO NOT have anything on their back side or further toward the edge boards. In fact, IF you take the lower plastic frame piece of (this is NOT the bezel), you will see that you can totally disconnect these cable as they run between the TCON and edge boards and have cable "clips" on them.

Again these are NOT the cables we are talking about. The cables (flex cables) that are in question and are of concern go from the edge boards around the outside of the set (bottom and sides) and connect "directly" to the underside of the panel. With the back off, you can clearly see these "tab cables" on each side of the panel. The ones on the bottom are covered by some plastic framing parts but may be visible.

Comment

Hey guys! I just got through reading all 8 pages of this thread! Great stuff.. I just happen to have the identical set with (I think) the identical problem. I can remove the left most TCON cable and the 25 goes away. As soon as I put it back, the 25 comes back. I then tried removing the smaller ribbon cable in the corner that connects to the side boards and voila, that also allows the set to power on and no 25.

So, it appears I have the same problem. I have very little experience with these things but I am pretty handy and have fixed similar things before. I can solder, etc. and I am fix it kind of guy who has worked as a carpenter and a mechanic so I am ready to tackle this.

You did lose me a bit talk about IC drivers etc. and for some reason, even though I am logged in, I cannot see the photos full size.

Can one of you guys explain to me exactly what I need to do? I believe I isolated the problem to the right side of the screen and I understand I need to take the front bezel off and peel off the connectors but is there anything else? Why doesn't just cutting the ribbons from the side boards work? Doesn't that do the same thing? I don't what it looks like yet as I haven't flipped it to see it with the bezel off.

I am going to try to show two photos of the edge boards with the ribbons coming off of them. I presume these are the ribbons that go to the panel? Why not just cut them there?

Also, I heard you say that even though there are 2 independent edge boards (connected in the middle with a small ribbon connector) that they all must be removed. Is that right?

Am I unplugging something else also?

Thanks in advance. I am hopeful I can get mine going again also. It's about a year and a half old - out of warranty of course. I didn't expect anything from Sharp and that's what I got.

Comment

Here are those photos...
              Attached Files

Comment

"you got it toyota!"... :-)
                as for cutting... hmmmm.... I think you should pull or "tear" them away from the panel. The "tear" is really a tear in some cases as the flex tab cable it pretty thin and tears away pretty readily. You need to ensure that you get most / all from where the bonding pad is.

I think some people (in another thread) tried cutting and I think that left them with a problem thereafter although they haven't comeback with the final outcome.

Further, please post a picture of the screen (with some thing displayed) with the lower corner cabling removed that provides / resulting in the tv now displaying some image just to confirm things before you go that last step. Good luck, I think you are almost there.

Related to this, recently I have been reading about people with tab issues on various sets. In some case, people have been able to reduce the issue by putting pressure on the tab bonding area to improve its contact.... if it does, they use some thermal padding to maintain the pressure (and help with heat transfer) thereafter once the set is re-assembled.

In my case, one of the tab drivers (mounted on the actual flex cable) fell apart when I went to flip the edge board over to look at the area closer so it wasn't an option for me.... BUT you may want to try that first before going the FINAL step of removing the tabs from the impacted side... just a thought / hope on my part.
                Last edited by budwich; 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Its really just like peeling off a lightly stuck sticker. I was kind of amazed at how easily the ribbons pulled off the panel.

Comment

Never mind the previous post! All done! I removed the bezel and peeled off the left side ribbons that go directly on the panel and amazingly, the TV is fixed!!

I understand about the additional load being placed on the other side but happy that for the time being it's not just an expensive paperweight.

One minor hitch is that there is a horizontal line one pixel thick about 8 inches from the bottom of the screen starting from the right that goes about 2/3 across the screen. It's not black... It is live but seems out of sync somehow.

Thoughts??

Comment

you need to check the bond area in that section. It would appear that some bit of tab cable got left behind maybe.

BUT... does the line originate from the same side that you removed the tabs from OR is it on the other side... :-(
                      Last edited by budwich; 12-22-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Nice work! Looks like this is really catching on! I think you may still have something stuck to the panel or some debris. Try cleaning that affected area with rubbing alcohol where the cable went.
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-23-2015, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBlond View Post
                          Here are those photos...
                          So which ribbon cable that do you peel off, I am a little confused.. Post 146.
                          The white flex ribbon cable or the brown flexible cable, both of them are socketed so I do not understand about peeling them off.
                          Last edited by budm; 12-23-2015, 12:06 PM.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                            The white flex ribbon cable or the brown flexible cable, both of them are socketed so I do not understand about peeling them off.
                            The ones bonded to the panel get peeled off.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                              The side driver boards with the tabs still bonded to the boards. Most other panel manufacturers don't have the boards attached but sharp implemented this different approach.

Comment

1st post on this forum. Another successful fix for me using these methods on my sharp 70". Thank you guys for all the great tips and years of knowledge. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                  Not much progress. Basically, I am stuck at "3 out of 4 " cables connected... :-(

One thing that I have noticed, when the set fails the "power up", the Tcon board is quiet. When it does power up (in 3 out of 4 cables mode), there is a "pitched" noise emanating from the Tcon much like that of a rectifier power supply noise... but not as loud. Not sure why there would be that kind of "chopper" noise associated with that card. The main card which houses the main processor is quiet or at least the noise isn't in my audible range. The PD board is quiet at all times.

Is this a sign that perhaps there is some sort of "unstable" condition in the Tcon? Anyone every listen to their Tcon? :-)

PS. Searching thru the forum, I see that a "noisy" Tcon is just the vertical refresh cycle that is audible in some form.... :-( Those same discussion certainly appear to put credence to the high likelihood that the panel drivers are bad in some form... :-(
                                  hey, i heard about a driver on the side of the panel on the back of the tv
                                  try to connect the t-con as normally do and then on the left side of the tv on the corner there's a white cable like an inch thick disconnected and if lines are gone that's the problem the drive on left side. besides that i heard that if you remove it completely from the panel it will be fix. removing the tan with the strip board connected it is YK5042 AND YK50433. other guy here in this forum did that at his how risk and solve the problem he showed pic and evrything for proof and now am like wooooowww is fix????

Comment

Hi guys,

For those of you that has peeled off the left side ribbons that go directly on the panel to fix the common issue on this set is the repair still holding up? just wondering how long a repair like this lasts. Please advise.

Thank you.

Comment

Works like a charm (see my reply to in your "other question" thread).

Comment

Hey guys just wondering if your 70" tvs are still running after peeling off those driver tabs?..and how many months has it been working? I'll be attempting this fix this weekend!

Comment

coming up on month 10

Comment

Working...
                                          X