Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

thanks for this.... I am in "OH OH" mode.... :-)

When I mean "disassemble the screen"... I mean take up at the top layer of the "sandwich".

IF you look at the picture that I posted, the flex cable tab goes under the first screen... there is no access to the back side... PS. forget about the actual "side view" shown in the previous picture... I am indeed working on the screen's right side. (it was just easier taking the picture for the other side to illustrate what I am looking at. The new attached picture is where I am at NOW. yikes!

Further, I "flipped" around the side edge board (lower right side). When I did that, the lowest driver ic came away "easy" from the side of the panel while the next one up "broke in half" with part stuck to the cable and part remaining on the side of the panel.
    NOTE: there is still no easy way to detact the flex cable (bond) from the screen... Do I just cut it?
    Attached Files

Comment

OK...
      I put on my reading glasses and looked closely at the edge board and the flex cable at the panel. I now see that there is about 1/16 wide copper looking connection surface where the cable is bonded to the panel. As you indicated, I should try and "slowly" remove that portion. Any tricks?

Comment

Interesting that that ic burned into the plastic that must be the bad one in that case you're at the point where you can peel those from the panel.

Yes in this case just take a very nice pair of scissors and carefully cut across those cables so they're no longer attached to the screen part anymore. All of them. There should be like 5 or 6 cables on that side of the panel.

On A side note you can leave the boards inside the black bezel just make sure that the carriers are not attached to the panel anymore

This should be all you have to do your job is now done. At this point you can power up the TV after you're done and see if you have a good picture
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Once again. Way to go sharp! No active cooling there is no way for those IC's to stay cool as plastic does not act as a thermal barrier

I guess I can't just blame sharp. Ive seen Samsung LG and many many others built the same way. Almost designed as if meant to fail prematurely
          Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-16-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

well, may be I should have waited for the "tricks".... :-) :-(
            I tried to light pull the cable up from the bonding. It basically tore. I don't think there is an issue though... I hope. The "bonding area" (attachment thing) on the cable end is still bonded to the panel edge ... ie, there is no visibility of the underlying copper traces ("fingers") that the "bonding thing" is sitting on... the "bonding thing" must be some sort of thin conductive pin termination "skin". Anyways, I am hoping that there aren't any shorts across the underlying "traces". The flex cable seems to tear fairly easy when pulled up along one edge slowly.

Comment

It will. And no there will be no fingers of copper because these are called hot bar bonding

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                Interesting that that ic burned into the plastic that must be the bad one in that case you're at the point where you can peel those from the panel.

Yes in this case just take a very nice pair of scissors and carefully cut across those cables so they're no longer attached to the screen part anymore. All of them. There should be like 5 or 6 cables on that side of the panel.

On A side note you can leave the boards inside the black bezel just make sure that the carriers are not attached to the panel anymore

This should be all you have to do your job is now done. At this point you can power up the TV after you're done and see if you have a good picture
                This doesn't give me much hope for the other side. I am thinking that ic are actually expected to be in "free air" as opposed to touching the plastic. By touching the plastic, it may have caused a "circulation block".
                I have lifted the top half edge board. One of the drive ic has started to melt the plastic but was not stuck to it yet.

:-( not sure about the long term success of this... if I even get that far.

Comment

This is what I mean about a bad design. What the manufacturers should have done was sealed those IC's against an aluminum source with a white thermal paste compound to prevent them from overheating instead of having them pressed up againstplastic

Comment

ok.... are there any last checks / things that I should do before powering this thing up... with my fingers cross!!!

Comment

Other than making sure that all the cables are clean cut from that side of the screen and the IC's are no longer connected to the screen no give it a shot

Comment

PICTURE PERFECT!

so "economically" means "free"... :-) of course, I (and my neighbor) realize that this isn't a "fix", its a "save" which could be for any length of time... but as they say in hockey... "a save is a save, not matter what". thanks for the great help. I wouldn't have tried anything if it wasn't for the tips and guidance provided herein.

As for others that have similar problems, as suggested, once you have potentially isolated your problem to either edge drivers, the process to removing them seems fairly easy assuming you have the space to work on the unit face up. I used a raise "platform" along with two boards long enough to span the tv horizontally. I then affixed strategic 2X4 pieces of wood to those boards (both across and aligned) to support the panel in key areas and allowed me access to the underlying circuit boards and screw mounting positions.
                        Last edited by budwich; 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

This is an excellent save! Now you have yourself a 3d Quattron LED 70 inch TV that's beautiful. Nice save. Good job! The effort was worth it. Let's see some pics

When reassembling the TV be super careful not to over tighten the edge screws for the metal barrier you don't want to crack that screen
                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-16-2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

To everyone involved, especially freakaftr8, this was an excellent save! I'm sure some Sharp 70" sets will be saved from the landfill because of this thread. Any way/room to drill some small vent holes under those remaining ribbon cables to allow for better air flow past those chips? Maybe, also install a small fan to increase the air flow rate.

Comment

the 2-5 code errors on the internet are numerous with very few getting much more than "its likely a bad panel". The other thread on this site which alludes to an issue with the power enable (which people here and OP figured out to use an external switch and stimulas) were the only threads that I have ever seen that have given people any hope so I am certainly glad that the suggestions were provided... and in such timely fashion so to speak.... almost carma like.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                To everyone involved, especially freakaftr8, this was an excellent save! I'm sure some Sharp 70" sets will be saved from the landfill because of this thread. Any way/room to drill some small vent holes under those remaining ribbon cables to allow for better air flow past those chips? Maybe, also install a small fan to increase the air flow rate.
                                Anything is possible but remember the more you move the remaining ribbons the more the possibility of damage comes into play.

Also I believe this is going on with some 60 inch panels as well.

Comment

Nice work all. No idea how long it'll last but better than just going to the dump!
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Very true. As of so far I've been burning mine nonstop. The tabs appear to be just above room temperature.

Comment

I looked at the tabs on the other side just to see if they hand some "play" between them and the plastic. All was fine. I am thinking that the "troubled tabs" were some how compressed enough to touch the plastic and over time between the heat from the screen, room temperature and heat from the gate ic itself all conspired to melt the ic into the plastic frame. The flex plastic immediately near the drive ic had heat markings while the others were "clear".

Comment

I think what you are seeing, being that when a tab driver goes bad I have seen them get mighty hot and melt themselves into the plastic. Normally they rest on the plastic but when they go bad that's when they melt. I have seen this quite a few times.

So send a snapshot of the picture when it's ready. We would love to see how it looks.

Comment

While my neighbor now wants to scrap his new samsung and put the sharp back in... :-)

Anyways, attached are the equivalent 3 pictures that were the same one that I had posted when I had removed the corner edge cable to disconnect that side of the set.

One thing we noticed a bit during the bright / uniform screens was a slight brightening / darkening happen. Probably the lack of the one "duty cycle". My neighbor noticed it, me well my eyes weren't looking for that... :-)
                                          Now we figure we can fix 70 in sharps... so my neighbor's thinking that he should go back to the repair shop and leave his number for them to call when they have an "unrepairable set", he will go and pick it up... :-)
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X