Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Originally posted by stj View Post
    the 888 was made in blue/yellow, silver, and blood-red among other colours.
    i wish my chinese base looked like someone had been killed over it instead of being bright blue!
    Well if you can somehow manage to knock off the CEO of Vestel with it you'll get your wish and do the world a favour too...
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      I might be the only one here who likes the FX-888 blue/yellow color scheme and the shape doesn't bother me at all.
      Each to their own, I guess. Enough people must be OK with them considering how many they've sold. I know I won't get one though.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Did you buy this from an USA seller or China seller? If the latter, shipping the unit back to China might cost you quite a bid especially if you need a tracking number and signature to show it arrived back to the seller. Otherwise, the seller can claim they never received it.
        Yes, fortunately I bought it from a US seller. I almost didn't, but I decided I wanted it fast. I bought it from SRA-Solder on eBay.
        ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
          Yes, fortunately I bought it from a US seller.
          That is fortunate. Well, send them an email and point to this thread as evidence ASAP so you can stay within the 30 day warranty period.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

One could always get artistic and paint the Hakko the color they like, but would check with the company first to find out if that would void the warranty. It should not as it is only cosmetic.

Comment

Depends if you opened it or not, I suppose. Might have to, to do it properly (like around switches etc). But like most companies they'd probably use any excuse they could to get out of honoring the warranty.

You'd need something like this I guess: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                i had a weller ds80, the cleaning is always a problem on vac tools.

to get the flux and other crap out of the end, use a drill-bit that is smaller than the hole when it's cold.
                and if you use it a lot, empty the collector and inspect the filter atleast once a day.
                Yeah, I vaguely remember my attempt with a drill bit - been awhile, and it didn't work well. I bought a drill press last year, so I might try using it if the issue comes up again.
                LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Update: I contacted them on the 15th and they didn't give me any hassle at all. They offered me an exchange, and considering all the good reviews on these, I decided I'd take a chance. I got an email the next day from UPS stating that a return label was being sent to me. To my surprise when I went to pick it up on Friday, it was not only the return label but also the replacement unit. The new one has more suction than the original one ever did. I've been using it all weekend with no issues. For now, I'm going to say I'm happy with the quality of it, but better quality control is clearly needed to prevent defective units from being sold. As for SRA-Solder.com and their eBay store, I highly recommend them.

Comment

The Chinese translation of 'Quality Control' is 'Pot Luck'...

Good to hear it's sorted though. Will be interesting to see how much life you get out of this one.
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      The Chinese translation of 'Quality Control' is 'Pot Luck'...
                      A truer statement has never been spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                        Update: I contacted them on the 15th and they didn't give me any hassle at all. They offered me an exchange, and considering all the good reviews on these, I decided I'd take a chance. I got an email the next day from UPS stating that a return label was being sent to me. To my surprise when I went to pick it up on Friday, it was not only the return label but also the replacement unit. The new one has more suction than the original one ever did. I've been using it all weekend with no issues. For now, I'm going to say I'm happy with the quality of it, but better quality control is clearly needed to prevent defective units from being sold. As for SRA-Solder.com and their eBay store, I highly recommend them.
                        Hopefully, it works out for you. I've purchased from SRA Solder in the past - good company.
                        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
                          Hopefully, it works out for you. I've purchased from SRA Solder in the past - good company.
                          I just wish they sold Hakko products.

Comment

I have learned my lesson, with these Chinese tools. Thank you, but no thank you.
                            I rather, save up a little bit more and get the good tool.
                            I'm about to get the Hakko FR300. I rather pay $50 more and get a good tool, with improvements too.
                            There is a eevblog coupon code as well, that can save you a couple of bucks.
                            If I remember well, the FX888 used to have some stickers that you can apply over the main unit, no?
                            http://www.bdent.com/hakko-fx888-rc-...-wmhoCpLLw_wcB
                            I actually, like the blue/yellow theme.

Comment

Lucky me. Tequipment sent me, an abandoned cart reminder. On 03/14, the price was $234.95 and the eevblog discount of 14.10, free shipping, no tax and the total is $220.85.
                              Now, the price is $249.95.

Comment

If manufacturer wants to keep selling them they will have to keep their customers happy by making sure they work. Sounds like the seller is a honest company. I worked with some very good Chinese Engineers and Micro-biologist and I have come across a very few that just do not know what they are doing. I guess that is life, as Forest says, "it's like a box of chocolates."

Comment

Well, I have a $180 paperweight again. This time the heating element burned out. Haven't used it more than 6 times. Don't anyone waste their money on one of these. They are absolute garbage.

Comment

I wonder what the seller will say this time. This makes me worry about my Hot air work station that I bought from them also.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It's probably been too long now to even try to return it. If I would have gotten a year out of it, I'd have been happy. I can't even get one to last 2 weeks. Aoyue will never get another penny from me, that's for sure.

Comment

Damn! That's bad even for Chinese crap.

Maybe you should try something from ZhongDi if you want a cheap station. My Duratech hot air station is a rebrand of theirs, and the hot air heater still works fine, AND it was 2nd hand from a laptop repair shop with enough use that the soldering iron had fallen apart (I replaced the whole iron)

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...wn-and-review/ is what I'd go for, it has a linear power supply rather than the SMPS in their newer models.

Of course, you should really just get a real Hakko 808 or similar tool from any decent company like Pace, Weller etc.
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

I have a Kendal 952++ hot air/soldering station I've had for a year and a half and it still works like new. I'll just save up and buy a Hakko station. I'd like something with the desoldering gun and a soldering iron. I'm tired of hot swapping iron tips.

Comment

Working...
                                          X