• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN58B860 Plasma suddenly shutdown and will not restart

I believe I am testing it correctly...
    Attached Files

Comment

OK, try isolating DM808, DM809, DM810 (near the bottom of the power board), see if the short disappears. You can chop one leg on each mid way, so you can solder it back together later if necessary.

Yep you are testing correctly.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

All 3 Isolated. Still reading 0.4 ohms.

Comment

Also, those three diodes check out OK reading 0.5 in one direction and open in the other.

Comment

0.5V and open, right?
            Next step, you will have to remove DP803, DP804 and check them for shorts.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Any tricks for removing that massive heat sink they're trapped by? My 30W iron and 30W desoldering pump won't touch it.

Comment

The best you might be able to do is cut the leads, unscrew the device, and pull it out. Remove the leads using your iron. Installation will be a right pain... but you might be able to do it with a pair of needle nose plyers.

For testing, you could just cut the jumper leads that connect them to the rest of the board, as long as you can reattach them.
                Last edited by tom66; 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Pulled the 1/3 jumpers and both diodes read good, 0.4 and open.

Comment

Across where the diodes used to be, do you still see a short?

Comment

Yes for both

Comment

Odd.
                        Is DP801 (top corner of PSU near 450V caps) OK?

Comment

Nope, it's shorted out! Removed from board to double check as well.

Comment

Bingo... last one I would have expected too! I think from the design you can temporarily run the TV without it. See if it works. Then replace it.
                            (Without this diode, standby current will go through PFC inductors, which will cause excessive conducted emissions... don't tell the FCC...)

Comment

TV IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that might be the most rewarding thing I've ever done!

I don't know why you spend so much of your precious time helping people for free, but I'm sure glad you do!

Thanks Tom!

Comment

Awesome! Now, go and replace the diode, don't watch the TV for a few days without the diode.

I help people because it's rewarding to keep good TVs out of the trash. Plasma is a dead technology, but there's nothing commercially available that can replace it, save from OLED... and that's far too expensive and only available in curved 55". Nothing beats the image quality of a good plasma TV.
                                Last edited by tom66; 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Will do. I hope to keep this one running until OLEDS come down in price.

Comment

I had this exact problem crop up last week in our Samsung PN58B860. Thanks to the troubleshooting help from this forum, I was able to determine that the main board had failed. I got a replacement in, and our TV again works great! Thanks to you all!

Comment

Working...
                                    X