Sony KDL-40S2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-40S2010

Hey All - Got a new repair I'm looking at, hoping for a little advice. Picked this TV (Sony Bravia KDL-40S2010) up free, was told "the light comes on, but it doesn't work". I brought it home, plugged it in, and the first thing I see is screen glow, which is a good sign. But then I notice there is a thin colorful vertical line on the screen. Not good, my brain immediately says bad panel possible.

I hooked up a HDMI feed and I hit the TV/Video button on the top of the TV. After a few presses, I find the HDMI input because sound starts coming out perfectly fine. The screen just continues to glow, but I notice a very slight shift in the glow, slightly brighter, very slight. No image, even with the flashlight test, etc. Just a steady backlight glow and sound.

Attached are some pictures. Note: I removed the cover from the TCON so you could see it. I'm thinking this is just a TCON board fix, but that colorful vertical line makes me think it might not be worth it. If the panel is bad, no sense in wasting $30-40 on a TCON.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-40S2010

Update: Did some more testing, haven't found anything wrong with the other boards. Still thinking TCON for the no-video part.

Thoughts on whether or not I should try to fix this one? I've yet to have success fixing a TV with a big line like that in it. If you guys think it's not worth it, I'll ditch the effort.

Comment

To me, it looks like a bad panel.

Here is a test you can try though. The T-con has two ribbon connectors, so try operating the TV with only one connected at a time.

If you get half a picture, the panel is bad.

If the fault remains, it's 50-50 panel or T-con.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        To me, it looks like a bad panel.

Here is a test you can try though. The T-con has two ribbon connectors, so try operating the TV with only one connected at a time.

If you get half a picture, the panel is bad.

If the fault remains, it's 50-50 panel or T-con.
        Thanks tom66. I tested the above as instructed, trying each ribbon separately, and the image stayed exactly as shown in the original post. Screen glowing, colorful line down the right side. Zero change with either ribbon disconnected. I even tried it with no ribbons connected, screen didn't change.

So if we assume the T-con is an issue, even if I replace it (or find its faulty components), that rainbow-colored line will still be there, correct?

Comment

No ribbons, and you still got the coloured line?!
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

No ribbons, and you still got the coloured line?!
            Yep, I thought that was kind of strange. I disconnected both and turned the TV on, same glow and same colorful line. Just so I'm sure we're talking about the same board, you mean the two ribbon cables that attach to the board in the top/center of the TV, circled in the attached image, right? You can't see the ribbon cables/connections in this image, but they're up at the top.

I tried it with one attached, then disconnected it and tried the other. Then, for kicks, I tried both detached and nothing changed. If uploading a video to youtube would help, I could do that too, let me know.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MaxAsh; 08-24-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Any other thoughts on this one? Just wondering if this is a scrap heap situation, or worth chasing further. Thanks

Comment

Could it be something like a leak in the panel, due to a crack? I can't explain that appearing with no ribbons in. I'd check the fuse on the T-con but I think that line will be there regardless.

Comment

Could it be something like a leak in the panel, due to a crack? I can't explain that appearing with no ribbons in. I'd check the fuse on the T-con but I think that line will be there regardless.
                  Thanks, that's my major concern. If that line is there, the TV becomes almost useless. I mean it could be a backup or kids TV or something if they don't care about the line I guess, but overall that line makes more than a couple bucks repair a waste I think.

When you say the fuse, do you mean that surface-mount looking tiny one, I think called CP101P? I saw a repair video on a similar TV (46" model) that showed CP101P as the bad fuse on the T-Con causing no picture. Not sure what the value of it would be, or where I'd get one like that (mouser I assume?). One commenter on the video said he thinks it's a " .060" x .035". This is an 0603 Littlefuse surface mount fuse. It's a 3 amp fuse."

Sound right?

Comment

I'd agree - I couldn't use a TV like that, too distracting.
                    I'd check the fuse on the T-con. Your pictures aren't clear enough for me to see it, but there will be one on there, 0603 size, near the LVDS input.

Comment

I'd check the fuse on the T-con. Your pictures aren't clear enough for me to see it, but there will be one on there, 0603 size, near the LVDS input.
                      Yep, I think that's the one 0603 CP101P, 3A. Looks like I can buy a 10-pack of those for $4 shipped, so worth a shot. After that I'd probably scrap the project and sell for parts if that screen line is stuck there. I'll order the 0603's and give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X