Panasonic TC-L42U12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-L42U12

This tv is completely dead. No lights, no sound, no blinking, no bulging caps! The fuse appears to be soldered in. Not sure what to do; I'm open to any suggestions.
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic TC-L42U12

you need a meter to test the fuses - i see atleast 2.

Comment

Click on the red box with an exclamation mark in and report the thread- ask a mod if they will please move it to the troubleshooting TV section - cant understand why you posed it here!
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks stj for your reply. I see the obvious fuse but not sure of another one. Do I need to remove the board and test these out of circuit? Any details you could provide is appreciated.

Hey selldoor - I requested this thread to be relocated. New to the forum space; thanks for the heads up.

Comment

You will need to remove the board. When it out take a good clear picture of the bottom.
          There is a red box fuse - bottom left corner on your picture half an inch from the edge.
          Will probably say F??? beside it.
          You can test in circuit. No power to the board -meter on ohms 200 good fuse will read same as touching the probes together
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Thanks selldoor for response. I took out board and tested red fuse in circuit and got OL. I'm not sure about the white fuse. It appears to be riveted in and not sure if I can test in circuit or if it's ok to remove the rivets. I tested it in circuit and got intermittent readings. I apologize but I'm quite the novice currently. I am attaching hopefully clearer pics of top and bottom of the board.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by AWTVs; 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Additional image
              Attached Files

Comment

OK I was looking earlier but couldnt see what amps the red fuse is. I think I see now it is 1.6amps. You will need to get a new one but perhaps you can find another type that will do to test more cheaply. You do need to test that other fuse - it should test the same way - perhaps try on the solder joints at the back of the board.
                Next test after that is a HIGH voltage test just on that board.
                You need to work on a non conductive surface and use a rcd if you have one. Also have someone else in the house if possible.
                So set your meter on 600vdc and CAREFULLY put one lead on each leg of one of the pair of the BIG capacitors - should be 300-400 volts.
                Perhaps try a dummy run to practice holding the probes and watching the meter without power to the board. Then power it up and test on both caps. Then unplug and leave for 5 minutes

Comment

Thanks for the response.
                  Will most any 1.6 fuse work as replacement for the red fuse? It appears the white fuse is 16.3amps; if I am not able to get that reading then I suppose replace that one too? I assume I can remove the rivets and just re-solder the replacement in? Nervous about the testing of the high voltages. I assume I reconnect board and test while its powered up correct? If those caps are less than 300-400, then replace? I considered just replacing the board but haven't been able to find one yet. Any next steps if these fuses and caps are bad and replaced but no change?

Comment

No white fuse is a T 6.3A the fuse should be the same amps and as they are mains voltage fuses same voltage. You can use household glass ones but you should tape round them so the glass doesnt go everywhere if it shatters. Problem is 6.3 and 1.6 are not common household sizes. You might get away with 5A and 1A just for testing but be aware they might blow. You can piggyback fuses for testing as well just solder the new one over the old one - would work for the white one. the red one if you can get a fuse and fuse holder you can solder wires to the underside of the board or to the
                    holes when the old one is removed.

You dont need the board back in the set to check the BIG caps just have that board on its own and plug it in when you are ready to do the test. - If the white fuse has gone
                    there will be no voltage at the big caps anyway.
                    Last edited by selldoor; 07-31-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X