Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylvania LC321SSX weirdness (flickering with faint menus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvania LC321SSX weirdness (flickering with faint menus)

I was driving down the street and saw two people throwing away a 32" LCD TV. I pulled up and asked them if I could take it. They said that the TV went bad after someone knocked it over. The TV is a Sylvania LC321SSX.

I took the thing home and powered it on. The screen would flicker with a gray tint with the words "Digital Television" apperaing faintly in the background. After being on for 2-5 seconds, the TV would go into standby mode.

I took the TV apart and reseated the connections. The TV seems to stay on, but the screen still flickers (photo attached). All of the buttons work and the menus are faintly visible.

I found a repair manual for it here:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...69837884,d.b2k

What do you guys thing could be wrong with it? Many thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tivoden; 06-27-2014, 10:21 PM.

Re: Sylvania LC321SSX weirdness (flickering with faint menus)

If the tv went bad after someone knocked it over then I would look for broken circuit board traces or maybe the panel got cracked somewhere. remove the boards and look at them very carefully.

Comment

I think I found the problem. The ribbon cable and the assembly on the LCD circuit board were charred (this was underneath one of the metal covers for the panel). There was a hole that burned completely through the ribbon cable.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tivoden; 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Looks like water damage to me. Perhaps water was spilled on it when it was knocked over, or they meant that someone knocked water on it... Is the ribbon on the top or bottom of the screen?
        Last edited by tom66; 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I see. Thanks! The ribbon is on the bottom of the screen, and the melted circuit board is the one attached to the LCD panel (the T-Con board on the other end looks ok). I'm guessing this won't be a worthwhile fix, considering the damage.
          Last edited by tivoden; 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

It could be fixable, but probably the only way is to replace that connector
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
            X