Cutting new light diffuser question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting new light diffuser question

I have a Samsung 40” NU series tv with the melted cracked diffuser I'm fixing. I replaced the backlights and I'm planning on cutting a new diffuser out of a 55” diffuser that just melted but didn't crack.

Question is do I have to keep the top edge factory for the diffusing to work properly or does it matter?

only get one shot at cutting it so wanted to make sure.

i assume its edge BL .. then that's right... big matter the edge site on the top which opposite to LED surface, need to being also on the top so don't cut it. because it had coating on the edge to reflect the light and keep it focus inside the plate

Comment

I appreciate it. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm. Thanks again Diah

Comment

How are you cutting this, what tools

Comment

I have 2 ways to try. First being a router and second being a razor knife. Hoping the router works as it will be the cleanest. I'm going to test the router first on the cracked 40” one

Do you have any experience or suggestions? I'm open to try something else
          Last edited by Storyteller12; 03-30-2024, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I don't. I have a couple diffusers and just trying to see if there was a tried and true way. Router seems like a good idea. Razor seems like a terriblly long tedious process. I cut some junk ones of these with razor and feel like itd take like 1000 cuts

Let me know if you find a way. I also have a 65 that isn't cracked but it's melted a little, and it warps the light paths. You have a way to save them? Sanding edges or something
            Last edited by EazyBone; 03-30-2024, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Storyteller12 View Post
              I have 2 ways to try. First being a router and second being a razor knife. Hoping the router works as it will be the cleanest. I'm going to test the router first on the cracked 40” one

Do you have any experience or suggestions? I'm open to try something else
              could you please explain what is a router? i think this cutter is more suitable on a hard ground :https://www.temu.com/kuiper/dn9.html...oaAuQ-EALw_wcB if it is not that what you mean whit a router

Comment

I believe that they employ a cnc router to cut light guide plates to the dimensions that are wanted,Also sometimes they use laser cutters .Anyways it would be very interesting
                to know what kind of results you get.I have heard of people who had cut away melted edge of lights guides and getting good results but never done it myself.A router should get a
                very smooth edge so you could get excellent results.

Comment

Here is the router I referred to. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.png
Views:	100
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	3244897

Comment

Eazybone: I know the razor blade was last choice as it will take several (maybe hundreds) of cuts but I know it will work. I'll update everyone one the router attempt when I do it.

The melted ones you can sand a little bit but everyone is different and will get different results. It's never the same for each one unfortunately.

Comment

however i think it will break , i wish you the best luck.
                      we can consider too if we don't have same size diffuser, , we can use the Tablet LCD principle, they use normal transparent plastic fiberglass plate have width same to LED size , they arranged it as following
                      White carton paper ---- the plate ---- 2 light filter ( horizontal & vertical ) -- LCD ---- touch folie
                      we use only White carton paper ---- the plate--- LCD --- then the reset of filters. . also need to paint the 3 edge of the plate with white...i never do it. just because i have allot of diffuser collect them over years.

by the way this method now days used at sign plate in supper market cashier table... etc.

Comment

A clean score with a sharp stanley knife works for me. I just snap it off at the table edge. Works every time.
                        The score has to be constant.

Comment

I figured the best way is similar to that cutter they use at Lowe's for plexiglass. Using the razor blade and snap I'll have to try.

Are you in Tampa storyteller?

Comment

No, not in Tampa. I'm in Northern Virginia. 30min form DC

Comment

Update:
                              i tried to score and cut like Daido mentioned and it does give a clean cut edge. However I couldn't get it to snap in 1 piece. Maybe with a better setup and even pressure.

Router worked great though and gave me a clean cut edge as well. It's a lot of mess though compared to Daido way.

Attached Files

Comment

Have a picture of the edge that the router created or the edge of the other way?

Comment

I forgot to take a pick at the time. I can get one of the piece I cut off Monday
                                  it's the exact same looking as factory edge though.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

These are the scrap pieces I tested on first. But you can see the nice edge the router left
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Yea that's good! Great

Comment

Working...
                                        X