Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42LG30 Power Cycling, Bad Power Button/IR Board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42LG30 Power Cycling, Bad Power Button/IR Board?

I recently got a 42LG30 that constantly power cycles. The TV will turn on, stay on for about 2 seconds, turn off, turn back on, and loop like that. Voltages being output at the power supply connectors look alright. Whenever I unplug the power button/IR receiver board the TV will stay on but I am unable to control it. Having the side buttons plugged into the power button/IR board doesn't make any difference to the power cycling. Is this board a common problem in LG TVs, or is the mainboard actually causing the problem somehow?
    I may be able to pull another of these boards from an identical TV that I already fixed and resold (bad power supply) and I also see that a member has one of these TVs available to part out on here, plus one on eBay.

Re: 42LG30 Power Cycling, Bad Power Button/IR Board?

Nevermind, fixed it, soaked the board in alcohol and cleaned it with a toothbrush. I think the IR sensor possibly had some kind of residue that was shorting it out and causing it to go bananas.

Comment

Re: 42LG30 Power Cycling, Bad Power Button/IR Board?

Actually, the tiny power button on the board is what was bad. I took the tiny metal shield off of it with a small flat head screwdriver and took out the tiny plastic black disc button, so only the 3 small contacts remain inside. Then I took some thin double-sided mesh tape and stuck some aluminum foil to it, then cut it down into a very small square and stuck it on the outer power button's raised area that presses the inner power button on the board. There's not really any springiness when the power button is pressed now but the outer power button is stiff enough and has enough of a gap to reach the inner power button that it won't constantly make contact. Or solder on a new button switch from somewhere. Or just spend about $15 and get a new board. Or just deal with not having a power button on the TV and use a remote.
      Last edited by dejo87; 09-13-2013, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X