Projector cooling fan backup supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projector cooling fan backup supply

In Silicon Chip magazine, I have read about the premature failure of a lamp in a projector which has not had time to cool down (runs the internal fan for some time after turning it off at its own switch) due to a lengthy power failure.

Should projectors have a backup battery which only runs the fan when power to the projector is lost?
    Also, I think the battery should be checked by the projector to see if it is fully charged and OK before the projector can be turned on.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Projector cooling fan backup supply

Well, possibly, but few manufacturers would bother. Not their problem if the bulb goes pop...
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Re: Projector cooling fan backup supply

This probably would not be an effective solution. First, it would require space inside the unit for the battery, increasing size, weight, shipping costs etc. 2nd, it would only prevent a very few premature lamp failures, since lamps only fail this way a small percentage of the time when power is lost. Usually the lamp just cools slower, but no long term damage is done to it. Third, a projector housing is a very warm environment which would probably result in premature battery failure. For all of these reasons, a battery as part of the unit would not be practical. If you are concerned about this fairly uncommon occurrence causing a premature lamp failure for you, I would suggest getting an UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to hook up to it.

Comment

Working...
      X