Dell W2600 - no picture unless I wiggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell W2600 - no picture unless I wiggle

Dell W2600 LCD TV/Monitor - sorry if this is the wrong place, but supposedly this item is a TV first, monitor second. Before we start, I know this model has had a recall and that it's plagued with numerous amounts of problems, from the power supply to the everything else. I know some about electronics, but not much, I'm more computer software and hardware.
    The initial symptom was no picture. Powered on, audio worked, blue power light came on, no video. Upon inspection I found the power connector (sorry if that's the wrong terminology) that goes from the LCD to the I think power board, to have black and brown residue from overheating. When I wiggle it slightly, the picture is restored, and after only minutes of being on, I think I smell the connector shorting/burning again (could be my imagination tho) but the connector is very warm to the touch after just minutes of being on.
    In conclusion, my first question is, what is that connector actually called so I can be more knowledgeable. Second, where would I find this part number and or could it be a generic part. Third, any diagnostic tips for me to preform would be appreciated. I have access to certain tools, and I would try anything if able to. I have not done any diagnostics, just what I've seen smelt and felt. Ok I guess we can start from there, sorry for the picture, I can't find the cord to my digital camera, I will shortly and post better pics, this picture is from my phone with no flash, those are not shadows on the connector, the borwn/black is the burn/short from overheating (I think). Thanks everyone.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell W2600 - no picture unless I wiggle

That picture is adequate (and eloquent!!!)

Either there is a bad solder joint(s) on the bottom of the board, or one or more contacts in the female portion of the connector are bad. I'm of the opinion the only way to repair this is by removing both parts of the connector and replacing with new. IF the cable has connectors at both ends and can readily be removed from the TV, it would be possible to remove both parts of the defective connector and solder the wires directly to the board, but I don't recommend that practice.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by AtripleO View Post
      In conclusion, my first question is, what is that connector actually called so I can be more knowledgeable.
      Connector is correct.

Second, where would I find this part number and or could it be a generic part.
      I don't know. If you can find a schematic for the Dell, there may be a bill of materials with a part number.

Try

http://elektrotanya.com/

If there is no spare part, perhaps you can recrimpt it somehow by stripping away all the burnt wiring?

I will shortly and post better pics,
      Post pictures with the connector off so we can see if there is any damage. Post a picture of the "inside" of the connector (looking into it).

edit: PlainBill beat me again.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for such a fast response.
        Unfortunately I still cannot find my usb hookup to my digital camera, so more smart phone minus flash pictures. As you can see, the plastic on the connectors, both male and female parts are crispy and crunchy, yet that does not stop the t.v. from getting a connection to it and producing a picture. The wires are now exposed, and it seems that all the prongs (?) are still there, just with black and brown residue. Any ideas as to what caused this or procedures I can do to figure out what caused this? If I do replace the power connector, is there a chance this will just happen again? Thanks again everyone.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's possible there is an internal short circuit in the connector or on the other end of the wire affecting only those four pins. Check using a multimeter for shorts or low resistance.

Could be tin whiskers in the connector.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello everyone, thanks again for the quick replies, it took me a while to borrow a voltmeter, but I was finally able to get my hands on one. There are twelve pins, working from left to right on the power board, the far left has 60, then pins two thru eight have 56.5 and the last four pins have 70. The last four pins being where the black/brown residue and melting connector issue. The other end of the connector that plugs into the power board reads 56.5 on all points, even the exposed wires. Any input would greatly appreciated. Enjoy the super bowl

Comment

Where are you probing the negative?
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks again for the quick replies.
                I probed the negative on a piece of metal to ground it. Was this wrong? There weren't any of the triangles or three lines that I am accustomed to on the power board for grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by AtripleO View Post
                  Thanks again for the quick replies.
                  I probed the negative on a piece of metal to ground it. Was this wrong? There weren't any of the triangles or three lines that I am accustomed to on the power board for grounding.
                  You should probe from the metal case of the TV, not to anything external to the TV. A good place is a spare screw hole which will hold the black probe, as this allows you to free one hand.

Note: If you use 120 VAC approx. half is 60VAC, which can explain a high voltage reading, if grounded to something external to the TV, because modern double-insulated sets use capacitors from the live and neutral to create a floating ground at half the supply voltage.

Comment

Is it just me or are the positive wires (going to the fried part of the connector) without any insulation (bare wires) !? :O

Looks like that connector is going to the backlight inverter. Played with the image a bit (see attachment)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, I wasn't clear on my earlier post, yes I did use a metal on the tv itself, no external to the tv. In fact I did use a spare screw hole, which I didn't think to explain, I just thought of the probe touching metal so I said a piece of metal. But I didn't think to let it stay in the spare hole and free up my other hand I just held it and proceeded with one hand. So what's everyone's thinking on this, I messed up the probing? Yes the connector is going to the blacklight, this was my original question all along is this fixable with another connector or do I need another connector and power board? It will take me a while before I can borrow a volt meter again from my in-law. Just to clarify it does produce a picture, but I haven't let it stay on for longer than minutes for fear of more damage.

Comment

I stand by my suggestions in post #2.

The cause of failure was either a bad solder joint on the circuit board, or one or more weak contacts on the connector, I'm leaning toward a defective connector. It was NOT caused by something drawing too much power.

There are three possible solutions.

1. Replace the cable and the board - this is the way a factory authorized shop would do it, but they don't care about cost.

2. Replace the male connector on the circuit board and replace the cable. You can sometimes see 'complete cable sets' for a specific model TV on eBay.

3. Unsolder the male connector from the circuit board and cut the wires as close to the female connector as possible. Solder each wire into the proper hole. Do this ONLY if the other end of the cable can be disconnected from it's source.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Can all the signal pins be solded together? If it's just power for the backlight?

My tv has the same defect..

Comment

Hi I am new here but I have the same TV in my basement that I am trying to fix. Anyway, I think you should watch this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJAR88sOG4 ) I found while researching the problem and fixed my TV, but not 100%. Now my TV only turns on by remote control but only if plug the power in the back of the TV, remove the cord and then plug the power back in and turn it on by remote control. It will stay on as long as I want. If I shut it off, I will have to wait maybe 3-4 minutes and apply the same procedure. If try to turn it on right away, I can here a click from a relay that is in the power supply board that it is located near the ac power socket. If I use the main power button, nothing will happen. BTW, when I plug the power cord in, the standby light does not come on.
                            Last edited by mrtek; 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X