This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A guide to fixing/troubleshooting some common plasma TV problems

I have a Visio P50HDTV that lost the picture (still has sound). No pop of death, just went out. It has new power supply (for a turn on problem) and Y-Sus and upper and lower driver.

Before changing the Y it would have a soft glow in the middle of the screen with fuzzy edges and approx. 10" almost square.

After the Y change it has a vertical bar approx. 10 inches that is bright with what looks like the retrace lines one would see on tube type TVs, but these are vertical, not horizontal. The bar goes from the top of the screen to the bottom.

If I unplug the Z-sus it returns to the fuzzy box in the middle of the screen.

Does that sound like the Z is also bad, or some other issue?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Comment

Whoops...I'll go ahead and make a new thread on this:

My LG 50PS80 plasma, which is around 3 or 4 years old, has developed an issue. I was watching TV last night and noticed these cool bright blue dots in the black scenes on the screen and thought it was part of the show I was watching. It wasn't until the screen went full black that I saw this (see attached pic please) These blue lines are made up of little blue dots and the entire array of lines/dots is moving left and right all in succession. It's sort of bouncing left and right on the screen a few inches. I left the TV off overnight and this afternoon turned it on to find many more lines. The entire screen is basically covered with these blue lines to the point that black is no longer there. Has anyone seen this before? I'd greatly appreciate some input on which board to look at for an issue or is the panel failing? When I bring up a menu the menu looks great except that the reds are more pink than red and any black area has blue dots/lines in it.
      Thanks.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by traderx; 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM. Reason: Sorry didn't mean to clutter your thread.

Comment

please help my samsung plasma ps50 has developed a problem that effects only the left side of the screen lots of fuzzing and lines which change according to the picture displayed and is on all inputs
        Attached Files
        Last edited by squirel; 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Huh, that's an odd one. I suggest you create your own thread so we can keep up with the diagnosis, I'd be checking connectors going to the lefthand C board, consider the logic board as being a potential fault. Panel looks OK to me.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            Huh, that's an odd one. I suggest you create your own thread so we can keep up with the diagnosis, I'd be checking connectors going to the lefthand C board, consider the logic board as being a potential fault. Panel looks OK to me.
            thanks for the reply as soon as the site will let me i will create a new tread will take the back off tomorrow and give all the contact points a good clean

Comment

Originally posted by squirel View Post
              thanks for the reply as soon as the site will let me i will create a new tread will take the back off tomorrow and give all the contact points a good clean
              It lets you post a thread after your first post, which you've already made, so you can do that now. Whatever you do, never change any of the connectors while the set is live, always wait 30 seconds after unplugging the mains each time, or you could damage the plasma screen.
              Last edited by tom66; 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi all,
                I picked up a samsung plasma pretty cheap off craigslist and now I'm having problems with the display. The model is Samsung sp-s4223. Anyways, I've read a lot of troubleshooting forums about possibly having to replace individual buffers in order to get rid of the lines, but in attempting to find out which buffer it was, I realized it appears to be between buffers (anytime i disconnect the 3rd or 4th buffer and cut the tv on, the line disappears). Anyways, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what to do with this. Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

Comment

Can you show a pic of the problem?

Comment

You can see it in the following photos
                    Attached Files

Comment

That looks to be a defective plasma panel, not repairable. Small chance of bad buffer board but probably not.

Comment

And thanks for your quick response--I was definitely not expecting that...

Comment

is it possible to diagnose the issue any further?

Comment

You can try replacing the Y-buffer board, but I would not expect it to fix this issue.

Comment

sounds like throwing away money...it's a thin line, I'll just deal with it. Thanks again!

Comment

I have a Visio P50HDTV that lost the picture (still has sound). No pop of death, just went out. It has new power supply (for a turn on problem) and Y-Sus and upper and lower driver.

Before changing the Y it would have a soft glow in the middle of the screen with fuzzy edges and approx. 10" almost square.

After the Y change it has a vertical bar approx. 10 inches that is bright with what looks like the retrace lines one would see on tube type TVs, but these are vertical, not horizontal. The bar goes from the top of the screen to the bottom.

If I unplug the Z-sus it returns to the fuzzy box in the middle of the screen.

Does that sound like the Z is also bad, or some other issue?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Comment

Common problem with that panel having that vertical bar in the middle of the screen would be failed FETs on one of the Y-buffer boards.

Comment

Can you possibly tell me if this is worth fixing? I've included a link to a short Vimeo file. Thank you in advance for your expertise!

http://vimeo.com/77737941

Comment

Originally posted by zenzee View Post
                                      Can you possibly tell me if this is worth fixing? I've included a link to a short Vimeo file. Thank you in advance for your expertise!

http://vimeo.com/77737941
                                      Bad Y-buffer+Y-sus ER-IPM. Very common on these models... Fairly expensive to fix around $200.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        Bad Y-buffer+Y-sus ER-IPM. Very common on these models... Fairly expensive to fix around $200.
                                        Thank you Tom!

Comment

hy everyone,my name is muniru from ghana and a professional electronics tech and am here to learn more and share what i have learnt in electronics for 17 years in the field,hope am welcome from my friends. THANKS

Comment

Working...
                                          X