HP PL5060N question....before I get in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP PL5060N question....before I get in trouble

Okay, I haven't done it yet, but I've seen this plasma for sale and wondered.... The seller states it has been on his wall safely for 4 years then "stopped woking" He wondered if it were a "power supply problem" but no other details yet. He's asking $100, so what are my chances of getting completely hosed on this???

I read Plain Bill's and the Wizards' comments on the panel vs. model # so, in general, any guesses on how likely I am to find a component level issue with the power supply?

If I weren't so cheap....and really didn't like a challenge......

BTW, thank you all for such a great site....I've repaired quite a few monitors now, but my Tektronix scope is feeling lonely, so I thought I'd tackle a big big problem!

Re: HP PL5060N question....before I get in trouble

update...the owner tells me he/she opened the back and didn't see "any blown or swollen capacitors". I'm asking if he/she attempted repair but starting to get that funny feeling. Would I be better off with my first flat panel try being LCD rather than Plasma?

Comment

dont buy it. if you can get it free go for it otherwise no,

Comment

Plasmas are a lot more difficult to fix than LCDs. I wouldn't spend $100 on it.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

As much as I hate to agree with shovenose, he is correct. The 'funny feeling' is warning you to avoid this one. IF the seller is telling the truth, you could easily be looking at spending several hundred dollars for a sustain card and buffers. If he actually tried to repair it himself, it could be much worse. This generation of plasma panels from LG are notorious for blowing buffers and the hybirds on the sustain cards.

Component level repair of a plasma power supply is tricky because schematics are often unavailable AND an isolation transformer is required.

Plasma sets are more complex than LCDs, but not inherently more difficult to repair. Part of this is due to the greater number of boards. My first plasma repair required replacing two capacitors. My second was a bad power supply (I still have the dead one if you want an exercise in frustration). The third was a pair of shorted FETs in the SSB.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks to you all, and I appreciate the sage advice. The owner now reports he noted a blown fuse in the PS and replaced it but no joy. He/she reports no other work to the unit.

I suppose I'll have to decide how much $ I can tolerate to see the anatomy of a plasma....I do learn something fun with each repair, but tend to never quit. This character flaw can get expensive sometimes.....

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if he will go down on the price, or just let it go by. A 4 year old unit will no doubt have other issues down the road. Funny, when I did more work on 1930's tube radios, I would never turn down a chance....knew we could always bring it back. Still love the smell of the tube sets as they warm up! I fear I would be smelling something else on this plasma....like burning cash!

Comment

Originally posted by romansroad View Post
              Thanks to you all, and I appreciate the sage advice. The owner now reports he noted a blown fuse in the PS and replaced it but no joy. He/she reports no other work to the unit.

I suppose I'll have to decide how much $ I can tolerate to see the anatomy of a plasma....I do learn something fun with each repair, but tend to never quit. This character flaw can get expensive sometimes.....

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if he will go down on the price, or just let it go by. A 4 year old unit will no doubt have other issues down the road. Funny, when I did more work on 1930's tube radios, I would never turn down a chance....knew we could always bring it back. Still love the smell of the tube sets as they warm up! I fear I would be smelling something else on this plasma....like burning cash!

Well, if you can hang on, flatscreen TV's will probably drop even more as manufacturers/dealers unload their older models after Christmas. Not to mention that prices continue to drop regardless. These price drops will no doubt influence what people can ask for their used sets. If this guy still has the plasma after Xmas, that'll be your chance to get it cheap. Be patient and Good Luck!

Comment

I agree with waiting as I'm in no hurry. I pause over the fact that Plain Bill had to BUY a power supply.....yikes!

Comment

update...the owner tells me he/she opened the back and didn't see "any blown or swollen capacitors".
                  Given how fragile some of the ribbon cables/connectors are, I would personally pass on a plasma TV that has been opened up by someone else.

I have 3 un-repaired LCD monitors that I got from other people who had taken it apart looking for bad caps and all 3 have partially torn connector cables. Sadly they are all 19 inch or bigger.

I realize plasma TVs and LCD monitors are not the same, but "carelessness" might apply across technologies.

In addition, you have no idea what kind of 4:3 or 2.35:1 burn in damage has already occured in a 4 year old plasma.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I agree with Bill as usual. $100 is too much, $50, and I'd think about it....
                    Technically you could probably get your money back selling any good boards, but depending on the failure, it might be tough to tell which boards are good...
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

[QUOTE=In addition, you have no idea what kind of 4:3 or 2.35:1 burn in damage has already occured in a 4 year old plasma.[/QUOTE]

I knew the plasmas had the potenial for this (which is why I purchased our family a new LCD for our first flat panel)....but how bad can it get? I thought this would fade with newer images....not so?

Comment

I knew the plasmas had the potenial for this (which is why I purchased our family a new LCD for our first flat panel)....but how bad can it get? I thought this would fade with newer images....not so?
                        I think newer plasmas are better for protection against burn in, but even the documentation for a new 2010 plasma still warns about burn in.

Here is PlainBill's experience with a fixed Philips plasma (4 years old) and his comments regarding burn in.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=13

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ll+plasma+wife
                        Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-27-2010, 11:42 PM.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks everyone...the guy stayed at $75 and I let it go. He thinks he'll get $75 for a the 4 year old plasma screen alone parted out.....

Comment

i usually fix anything i touch unless its a bad panel.i would have to think twice at $50

Comment

If he'd gone to $50 I would have probably done it, but no dice. Now I'm looking at an LCD that fell of the stand and has only half the picture! I will never learn!

Comment

that one sounds like a loser!busted panel.

Comment

Interesting......I was hoping for a connector/ribbon cable....or maybe a T-Con board. Have you seen cracked LCD's that didn't show it from the front?

Comment

you have a 50/50 chance. If its large enough and cheap enough, try it. a hairline crack can cause the screen to do that, as well as loose cables or jostled components. I wouldn't put much out for it.

Comment

It's an 8 month old 1080p 42" LG (model # pending) with no remote, and we're at $40. I enjoy a challenge but not throwing $ away!

Comment

might be worth the risk.is it exactly half or offset or at an angle?
                                        its got more than $40 worth of parts if its that new.

Comment

Working...
                                        X