Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp D530 Sff Psu (pdp-124p)

Hi Guys,

Apparently HP D530 SFF power supplies are well known for dying when the glue used to hold the parts in place becomes conductive.

Although its not really economical to repair, I am doing it because, hey, its learning right?

There is a great page here http://webdevsys.com/d530psuRepairNotes.htm on what parts are killed when these things go bang.

But in trying to learn I have come across more questions than answers, so I hope some of the helpful people here can steer me in the right direction.

1. Can you test resisters in circuit?
    2. I tried to test the MOSFET that gets killed is a FQA9N90C on the primary side. (Datasheet ) The method that I read to test it is to apply -ve lead of DMM to Source, and +ve lead to Gate. Then put +ve lead on drain. should get closed circuit?

At least thats what I read here: http://webdevsys.com/d530psuRepairNotes.htm

And similar red here: (http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/semitest.htm#stmos)
    A lot of common multimeters have a diode range: you can use this to measure a MOSFET out of circuit and get a good idea of whether it is OK. Meter negative on the source, you should get no reading (open circuit) on the drain. Not on the gate but if you measure the drain AFTER measuring the gate you will find it conducts. A finger between source and gate will bleed away the charge and the MOSFET stops conducting.

the source and drain bit works for me. but then he just goes NOT on the gate? Not what on the gate?

I am so confused and frustrated...I would love it if someone here would help me. Cheers

-Al

Re: Hp D530 Sff Psu (pdp-124p)

Nice links, i am looking for much more info on this specific model since i got a bunch of em at work (1k+)

so any other related info is very welcome and appreciated.

peace.
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

the one in my dad's is a delta (model # started with "dps")... it still works fine. take a look inside it and post some pics so we can see it better.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

To perform tests on the MOSFET out-of-circuit, use a multimeter with a semiconductor test function (e.g. diode symbol).
        After connecting the -ve lead to Source and the +ve lead to Gate, you should get a low reading between Source and Drain (even when the leads are reversed).
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

hello, me again....

i changed all the parts as recommended on the page, (most of em were blown) and now i have an alarmed pc... the psu used to blow up, now it sends the 4red flash (psu failure) alarm.... i was wondering if anyone could point me to a certain piece or area to check? The only good value i get with a/c plugged is the 5v from the daughterboard (purple wire) and i get around 3.3v from the switch pin (green)... all others are zero or close to it... any idea is highly appreciatted.

thanks.

peace.
          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Did you test the power supply with it turned on (green shorted to ground)?

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
              Did you test the power supply with it turned on (green shorted to ground)?
              Hello and thanks.

Yes I did, this PSUs dont do that trick, so they stay On for a few secs, but it turns on, and on that seconds i have taken a read of different values and they appear, and correctly... (i.e. i set everything to see if i get the 3.3v where im suppoused, and it does, but yeah for like a sec or two, then it goes off and wel...)

i really dont know what is happening, please help. I have changed everything as stated on other post and still wont work....

any tip or direction is appreciated.

peace.

Comment

You may need to attach a couple of hard drives to that PSU to get it to stay on. It may need some load to run.

Comment

^^^

And if that dosen't fix it, look for shorts in soldering like solder bridges that aren't suppose to be there or solder hairs.

Comment

hey thank you, wel my main goal is not to keep it turned on off the pc, but plugged attached to the mobo (those tricks wont turn the pc on, mobo alarms), and when plugged to the mobo it sends me the "psu failure" code (4red flashes)... can anyone please point me to a part that may be causing this? I changed everything that looked blown and cheked the parts recommended on the OPs articule, and still.... worst situation is that this is being a pattern, ive tried on another psu, and got to the same point.... they dont blow up no more, but they dont power on either... please, help.

thanks.

Comment

incredible and unbelieveable i got a working psu!!! bad news, i didnt fix it, i took it from a workin pc haha, i promised pics now i finally got the camera but i didnt bring the appropiate usb cable so i may take em today but still wont pasted em till very late or tomorrow :S anyways, i was wondering if now that a have a working one, what reads could i possibly take in order to try to find whats wrong wwith the others? since im stuck with this .... ideas are highly appreciated.
                      Thanks.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
                      X