Comment

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Chieftec GPS-500AB A
      Attached Files

Comment

^
        Do I see a capxon on the 5vsb there?
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          ^
          Do I see a capxon on the 5vsb there?
          The caps are a mix of Samxon, Chemicon KY and Ltec.

Comment

I did similar, 400W model couple days before. Besides the Samxon on primary it was full of crap, Capxon on +5 V SB was bulged. It was basically Delta PSU, they used the same model number and just placed Chieftec there
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

That's a nice power supply. How many 12V rails does it actually have?

Comment

Mine actually had two and due to all those potentiometers and overall big daughterboard on secondary here (possibly full of monitoring ICs) I'd say it has all three.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Chieftec buys direct from Delta and just slaps their label on. A few years back they were the ONLY brand that would get you a decent power supply at a reasonable price, around here.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It's better than those older Chieftec's that used Jenpo caps, those are some of the least reliable caps I've seen

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Chieftec buys direct from Delta and just slaps their label on. A few years back they were the ONLY brand that would get you a decent power supply at a reasonable price, around here.
                      Yeah but those times are long gone. Where si Chieftec now? You barely hear about them, recently they started selling new mediocre line with like 6 different powers, but it offers nothing over similar chineese PSUs which are now everywhere around. Not mentioning branded low-end and mainstream PSUs…

Comment

So I recapped that Dynapower PSU, removed the dummy resistors on the main rails and replaced the 30A ultra fast on the 12V with a 40A schottky rectifier. A few of the little Fuhjyyu caps were over 20 ESR!
                        Attached Files

Comment

That dynapower is a CWT unit, btw.

Comment

My original hunch was right, thanks for confirming it

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                              A few of the little Fuhjyyu caps were over 20 ESR!
                              Hehe, they almost weren't even in the circuit!
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                              Originally posted by shango066
                              All style and no substance.
                              Originally posted by smashstuff30
                              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                                That dynapower is a CWT unit, btw.
                                Yup, a CWT unit from their ISO line. You can tell by the "ISO" markings on the PCB close to the fuse.

It's an overall good design minus the 2-transistors 5VSB circuit.

I've seen a lot of these now mislabeled on purpose with UL numbers pointing to other random PSU companies. The two I have - a Cyberlink and a Turbolink, point to Deer/L&C and Macron Power, respectively (IIRC).

Comment

Samsung TAD037JBE cell phone charger

Output: 5VDC 0.7A

The caps are all Sam Young. The primary caps are SHD series 4.7uF 400V, and the output filter caps are KMF series 470uF (pi filter input) and LXV series 220uF 10V (pi filter output).

The switching IC is an SC1009PN, which I can't find any information about.

The output cable plugs into a connector on the board, and the fingers on the edge of the board contact the prongs of the plug.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Using PWM, that's quite nice…for occasional use, why not. But running daily, the caps will die.

Comment

Cellphone chargers have been SMPS type for quite a while now.
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah but many are some awful single/two transistor forward designs.

Comment

The logo on that chip looks to me very much like http://www.powerint.com/

Must be some older discontinued chip. I've seen the TNY276/277 used in several ATX 5Vsb's though (particularly some Dell / Celetronix 305W units)
                                          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Working...
                                          X