No announcement yet.

Antec advertises top quality Japanese capacitors in Signature Series PSUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec advertises top quality Japanese capacitors in Signature Series PSUs

So in your particular PSU that particular series of YC are not sub par.

And?
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sLowEnd
      I dunno man

I've had an old generic PSU with YC caps in the primary and they were still fine even when the PSU died after 4 years due to the fan
      I pulled two Viva brand primary filter caps that looked good yet out of a Deer once and tried to use them to fix a TV set. Didn't work.

Comment

primary caps fails rarely, even when they're from unreputable brands...
        can it happen?
        sure.
        does it happen a lot?
        surely not.

when you have a voltage spike they'll get theirs, though...
        http://picasaweb.google.hr/i4004b3/V...ke_2008_12_30#
        same event, same house, same damage(just the primary cap and the smps ic)...

so from the overall(small) number of primary caps damaged, those that were damaged by voltage spikes should be subtracted...

Comment

rule of thumb: if a primary cap popped, and you can definately say that it couldn't be caused by a voltage spike, there's something else seriously wrong with that psu..
          (even if it's just a dead fan in a PC PSU, but even then, the primary caps usually don't just pop open.. most of the time the primary and/or secondary switchers/diode packs fail first due to overheating..)

Comment

You don't get a lot of lightening storms there, do ya Scenic...
            LOL

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              CapXon are supposedly like Teapo and okay in PSU's.
              I haven't had that many CapXon is PSU's myself, that's what I've gotten reading in other places.

About the time I'm thinking they are 'definitely' okay in PSU's I find out CapXon are a big problem in PSU's in various LCD TV's. - On the other hand those particular PSU's are usually passively cooled and run HOT.

My best guess is CapXon are okay as long as there's a fan in the mix somewhere.

A bit OT, but......IIRC CapXon caps feature prominently in HEC PSUs.
              CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
              GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                those that were damaged by voltage spikes should be subtracted...
                @ i4004: I suppose the primary caps in your pictures have burst due to a long period under overvoltage or they have been connected to a 220V plug instead of 110V or they were bad/faulty.

What do you mean for "voltage spikes"?
                For me is an overvoltage with very short period, usually it is not able to burst primary caps like those in your picture.

I ask because English is not my mother tongue and sometimes it is easy to misunderstood other people's post.

Ciao
                Gianni
                "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                  primary caps fails rarely, even when they're from unreputable brands...
                  can it happen?
                  sure.
                  does it happen a lot?
                  surely not.

when you have a voltage spike they'll get theirs, though...
                  http://picasaweb.google.hr/i4004b3/V...ke_2008_12_30#
                  same event, same house, same damage(just the primary cap and the smps ic)...

so from the overall(small) number of primary caps damaged, those that were damaged by voltage spikes should be subtracted...
                  looks more like damage from loss of the neutral.
                  several neighbors had this happen.usually just kills the filter cap and fuse.
                  will also kill control transformer for the hvac and the stby transformer in stereos.can you guess who got to fix all their stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    You don't get a lot of lightening storms there, do ya Scenic...
                    LOL
                    last real lightening storm we had here was AFAIR about a year ago.

last time it damaged electronics by the lightning hitting a power box .. uhm.,.. let's see... 2009 now.. so last time that happend *scratches head*.. over 4 years ago.. i think...

Comment

We actually have a lightening SEASON here that's 3 or 4 months long.
                      Lightening storm every 2 or 3 days for months.
                      We call it "Monsoon Season".
                      Might not be right overhead every time but close enough to see.

Trust me, lightening can blow primary caps - no problem!

Two years ago lightening took out the huge quart jar size cap in my 220v roof AC unit. Took out two 70 amp BUS fuses in the main AC box too.
                      Lightening didn't actually -hit- anything close to me as far as I know.
                      Was just unusually low altitude that day.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X