Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta Electronics: DPS-410DB A issues

Greetings everyone.

I have a DPS-410DB A power supply from Delta Electronics wich i am trying to fix and then use it on my PC. A google search told me that it is ATX form factor, so it should be compatible with my motherboard ( Gigabyte H81M-S, Socket 1150 ), i like the supply for a number of reasons, so i have started working on it. I have performed a search on google and here before i decided to start this topic.

The fixing part should not be a problem, i am waiting for some parts to arrive ( the main supply's mosfets especially ), what i did found puzzling are 2 things:

1.-The main supply seamed to stay turned on regardless of the Ps-On command. As you may know the unit uses the DNA1002D chip for supervising, i could not find it's datasheet but i did find this:
    http://s6.postimg.org/5frka9tup/Delt...onnections.png

My unit was missing the 1k resistor from +5Vsb to Ps-On wire tap, it looked like it has been ignored from the factory, because the board contained all the neccesary traces for it, but the component was missing... It could be possible that before i got the unit someone actually removed that component so cleanly that it looked like it has never been place there in the first place, or the motherboard that it has been used on, gave the Ps-Off signal to the supply, i have no other explanation for it because without that component the main converter cannot turn off... I replaced that missing resistor with a 1k2 one and the Ps-On command seams to work ok now... It's the red arrow pointed one from the photo below:
    https://s6.postimg.org/dmjk1ujxc/013.jpg

Why would that be missing?

2.- The other thing that confuses me is that the supply seams to generate the PG signall from the +3,3V main rail, rather than from the +5V one, that is a first for me even though i have fixed many ATX psu's, and that's why i came here with this topic ( i hope it is on the right section ), i know that this signall is sometimes less than 5V exactly but isn't 3,3V too low for ATX motherboards?

I performed a google search before coming here, but i've failed in finding enough information, so i am asking for your help, as i sayd for now i am waiting for some components to fix the main converter, thus i cannot test it yet on my PC, but even when i fix it, should i even try to test it? Would that 3,3V PG signal be enough for the motherboard to know the supply works well?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
    Respectfully, Marian.

Re: Delta Electronics: DPS-410DB A issues

Greetings.

As anticipated the fixing part was not a problem for this psu, all went as planned, here is a photo with the board just after the fixing was done:

After some do cleaning:

As you can see a good number of parts had to be changed, especially the caps, all the electrolytic capacitors has been changed with new ones ( and i do mean each and every one of them, right down to the smallest one ). The mosfets for the main converter also were changed, and some other smaller parts. All the voltages are ok, but as i poited out the PG signal is 3,3V and not 5V as would be the case with all of the psu's i have worked with.

I really need to know if it would be safe to even try it on my PC just because of that PG signal of 3,3V rather than 5V, i do not wish to damage my motherboard, so please, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and all the best.
    Marian.

Comment

the pictures are too small to do anything with...

Comment

Indeed, i do not understand why they do not go full size when clicking on them... Here is the direct link:
        https://s6.postimg.org/pynu1gmld/014.jpg
        https://s6.postimg.org/koiva62ch/015.jpg
        https://s6.postimg.org/ihemm8x29/016.jpg

Comment

Please upload the pictures to this site instead, we don't like it when the third party site goes down or deletes the pictures and all we see are missing pictures.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I will upload them here too if it is absolutely neccesary, anyway, for now nothing said here helps me... My question was a general one, the pictures are beside the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Marianelforum View Post
              I really need to know if it would be safe to even try it on my PC just because of that PG signal of 3,3V rather than 5V, i do not wish to damage my motherboard, so please, any info would be greatly appreciated.
              No problem, you won't damage your motherboard at all.

PG signal = Power Good signal. It simply tells the motherboard when the power supply is fully turned ON and ready so the motherboard can begin the boot/POST sequence. If the PSU PG signal is too low (due to being 3.3V instead of 5V), *worst case* scenario: motherboard will think the PSU is not ready yet and will not initiate a boot/POST sequence. NO DAMAGE will occur at all.

Comment

Greetings and thank you for the imput.

Indeed knowing that the PG imput on the motherboard is a digital one, i have concluded that it could either read the 3,3V PG signal as high or as low ( 1 or 0 ), meaning it could either start or not, so i've tested it and the computer seams to work ok, the voltages read in the setup menu ( bios ) are nearly perfect all of them, no suspect noise or other visible problem, so i suppose the psu is ok, that makes me happy, and maybe it will help others as well, i've failed in finding any info on this on google, maibe this topic will help in that way somehow.

All the best.
                Marian.

Comment

Good to hear it is working . Delta Electronics make really nice power supplies, so at least you know you can trust this PSU to power your computer reliably and not blow up like the no-name cheap-o stuff.

Comment

Where's the primary cap for that unit??

Comment

My hunch is there's a second PCB with possibly an active PFC. See that clump of wires going off to the left, from the primary side, in the 3rd photo?

In fact, right next to where the brown wire goes into the "mainboard" (lower left), i see something resembling "B+", which would most likely be the main DC bus.
                      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Indeed there is a second board with EMI filters and active pfc:
                        Attached Files

Comment

I thought that APFC circuit board looked familiar. Here is a Delta power supply I worked on with that same pc board - but slightly burnt!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9660
                          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Awsome job fixing it, did you recap it?

Comment

Replaced a few bad caps, but mostly fixed it as a challenge to see if I could get it working. Now I work on challenging projects like this just for the fun. For me, fixing these power supplies is a hobby. This is a great forum for people like me!
                              Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Hello Marian,

Nice to found your post.
                                I have exactly the same PSU, Delta Electronics DPS 410DB, not fonctional.

To me it's a very good model but more complex than a lot i repaired in the past...

This one don't start, the first card generate the 300v CC.
                                On the this first card there is this 300v CC and the power factor correction but i don't know how it's work exactly, in fact i don't knw how to test this part.
                                I tried to test the "control loop" with the PSU turned off. Then i applied 12V to the output, one of the opto had a good reaction but not all...
                                I tried this method to repaired one PSU in the past, one schottky diode were HS.

This PSU is more complicated, so my question, did you has a schema of this PSU or option to check?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X