Enermax EG365P-VE 350W bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enermax EG365P-VE 350W bad caps

The 3.3v rail on this psu was fluctuating erratically, and when I opened it up I discovered two bulging capacitors in the output section. They are JP CE-TUR 2200uf 10v. I can't find any specs for this series, so what would be a good replacement for it? I have some leftover Rubycon MBZ 2200uf 6.3v caps from a previous motherboard recap so I was thinking maybe I could use those even though they are rated for a lower voltage?
    Attached Files

Re: Enermax EG365P-VE 350W bad caps

Rubycon MBZ are motherboard grade capacitors, not suitable to use in a power supply.

Comment

They are too low ESR and will not work, the circuit will most likely begin oscillating.
      You would need to modify the Pi Filter if you want to put those caps there.

You would need an oscilloscope to know if you are improving or worsening the situation...
      Long story short: Use caps with similar ESR and Ripple, without caring to look for the specs on your original caps that gets you in the Rubycon ZL or UCC KY range...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Oh, I thought that the lower the ESR the better when it comes to power supplies. The problem is, I can't find any specs for these caps online and they've probably been out of production for awhile. I'll email JPCON and Enermax to see if they can provide the information, but I doubt they'll be of much help.

Since I don't have an ESR meter or an oscilloscope I'll have to guess and go with Per Hansson's suggestion of Rubycon ZL. It can't be worse than what's in there right now; the PSU still works okay even with the bulging caps.

Comment

Maybe this thread can help a little, not much though
          It's difficult to find info since the capacitors are read differently by different people.
          Oh the wonders of complex fonts etc :/

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=65
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Maybe this thread can help a little, not much though
            It's difficult to find info since the capacitors are read differently by different people.
            Oh the wonders of complex fonts etc :/

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=65
            Thanks, but the link in that post doesn't work.

Comment

3.3v line? Those Rubycons will work just fine. To everybody else: Look up how 3.3v is generated as opposed to 5v and 12v.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I am recapping the EG301P-VE. It looks identical to yours. If you want I can give you the list of caps I will order.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  I am recapping the EG301P-VE. It looks identical to yours. If you want I can give you the list of caps I will order.
                  I'd appreciate that.

Comment

Ok I'll get around to it later on. Keep in mind the "TUR" caps are general purpose and the "TUL" caps are low ESR (Thanks PCBONEZ).
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Update on this psu: I've replaced the bad caps with some Sanyo CA. That fixed the fluctuating voltage issue. Now the 3.3v and 5v lines are rock steady when there's a load on the cpu.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X