This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Re the X-Box P/S, looks like they pewed the scrooch and didn't mechanically support the AC connector properly. Some laptops have this kind of problem with the jack where the adapter plugs in, including the Dell Inspiron 1000 I'm using right now. Basically the insertion and extraction force stresses and cracks the solder joint(s), and eventually self-heating breaks down the connection. My daughter had a Sony laptop that succumbed to this. Delta, Dell, and Sony are all decent companies, and I don't understand why they haven't figured this out.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I just hot glued connector to pcb. I don't know why they couln't do this in the first place

Comment

Rainbow

Would you have the schematics for either Meico MPS-8804 or Frontier MPS-8831? I'm trying to repair MPS-8804 however found some badly fried resisters I think they were R213 and R215 (a group of 3 near the IC) and can't tell what they are.

Thanks

Comment

Don't fix it. It's probably the worst PSU ever made. The resistors are fried because there are bad caps in the auxiliary power supply. The TL494 is probably dead too. Just put it in the junk pile. I take transistors, resistors and diodes from them for other PSU repairs.

Comment

Let's take a look at a Hiper Type-R "580W".

I'm currently reviewing one, but I'm taking my time this time around.

The power supply is based on the Andyson AD-550 (as in 550W) and it does put out 550W no problem. Efficiency is a mediocre 75% average and there's no PFC.

I was surprised that Andyson was using Fuhjyyu's!!!!

There's also a couple JEE's in the mix (you can see one on the right)

I can't tell what the primary caps are....

But the navy blue color makes me think of Fuhjyyu's. Am I right?

The biggest issue the Hiper has, and the primary reason why I got one and took it apart, is the lack of one-to-one connectors on the modular interface:

Above you can see that 4-pins on the motherboard goes to only 2-pins on the power supply.

Below is a shot of the PCI-e connector taken apart....

Even though a PCI-e connector consists of three 12V and three ground, only two conductors on the power supply end of the cable are used! They don't use the third conductor at all.

And there's only one PCI-e. The other PCI-e is obtained by taking two Molexes and adapting them to one PCI-e:

Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of Antec TruePower 380SP with covers removed. I've done enough reading and I'm about to begin my recapping career with this. I bought some (500pcs) Nichicon caps, mostly PL(M) series, to begin with so there is more to come

Edit: Oh yeah, this beast is all-Fuhjyyu as Antecs tend to be.

Hi-res pictures and more can be seen here:
              http://sourapple.dnsalias.net/photos/?album=60
              Attached Files
              Last edited by killjoy; 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM.

Comment

It's a tight squeeze in there...
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Here's aopen 300W W/PFC that came with HQ08 case. Big o/p caps were 1 jamicon, 1 fuhjyyu (bulged and leaking) and 3 teapos. Replaced with physically larger Nichicons without much effort. Input caps were teapos (and will be as I dont have replacements for i/p caps).

Hi-res pictures and more are available in http://sourapple.dnsalias.net/photos/?album=60 as always.

PS. The 380W Antec mentioned above is now working again. Recapped with Nichicons exept for i/p caps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Touch Electronic T60-9313 (www.bothlandusa.com), made in 1999 for a UMAX Gemini D-16 scanner.
                    Hitachi HP3 150uF 400V and LTEC TK 100uF 25V on primary side.
                    +5V 2.5A rail: LTEC LZG 3300uF 10V and LTEC LZF 1000uF 16V before output inductor, LTEC LZF 1000uF 16V after it.
                    +/-15V 0.3A rails (each): LTEC TK 220uF 25V befoe output inductor, LTEC TK 100uF 25V after it.
                    +24V 1.6A rail: Nippom Chemi-Con SXE 1000uF 25V (should be 35V) before output inductor, Teapo SX 470uF 35V (bulging ) after it.
                    Leakage between Live/Neutral and Earth was caused by glue on the controller PCB module .
                    Attached Files
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

fsp aurora 350 fsp350-60pn
                      secondary caps are mostly jamicon with a few teapo
                      Attached Files

Comment

Delta DPS-125EB-1 120W PSU

(or, DPS-125EP-1 <- on the PCB)

thumbnails:

days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

AcBel API-8628 110W
                          Teapo SK 330uF 200V primary units, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 10V on +5VSB, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 6.3V before +3.3V regulator; Rubycon YXG 2200uF 6.3V after it, Nippon Chemi-Con SXE 470uF 16V before and after +12V output inductor, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 6.3V befor and after +5V output inductor, with a number of general purpose Lelon units as well.
                          Attached Files
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
                            AcBel API-8628 110W
                            Teapo SK 330uF 200V primary units, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 10V on +5VSB, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 6.3V before +3.3V regulator; Rubycon YXG 2200uF 6.3V after it, Nippon Chemi-Con SXE 470uF 16V before and after +12V output inductor, Rubycon YXG 1000uF 6.3V befor and after +5V output inductor, with a number of general purpose Lelon units as well.
                            Wow. That doesn't look like a "AcBel of today."

Is that one of those old IBM units?

Comment

Viglen AT (not ATX) PSU, used to be in my web server until I got the Compaq Proliant.

According to the label an 'own-brand' Viglen PSU - but appears to have Seasonic insides. Input caps are TOSIN, output caps are a mixture - JP CE-TUR, CEHTR (with a sort of EZE logo), and one Rubycon.

The PSU had a very long life - in fact, it would still function perfectly now if I were to connect it up! The only reason I stopped using it is because I have no need for a Pentium-75 server any more
                              Attached Files
                              You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Definitely Seasonic.

Comment

What was the clue, jG? The word "Seasonic" in the silkscreen of the second pic?
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

hell the thing has seasonic logo's all over it.have to be blind to miss them.

Comment

DTK PTP-3007 (Macron power OEM)

G-Luxon 680uF on primary:

Overall view:

Output caps:

G-Luxon output caps, the small orange one is JPCE-TUR:

Macron-like label:

Is in use since 2002 without any problems:
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Another DTK - this time PTP-2007 from 2001, works fine:

Nothing wrong, just some dirt:

Unknown 470uF caps on primary side (the same brand is on secondary, along with some JPCONs and JPCE-TUR):
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Macron Power MPT-301P

Looks pretty much same as the DTK above. Original caps were same brand except for the input, mine has Fuhjyyu
                                          Recapped output caps with Nichicons while I was at it. Did not have scope or ESR meter to check originals with, but none were visibly at fault.

This one had a bug inside as well. Nicely charred between ip lytic contacts
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X