Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp Dv9310us no UUID or ser. number in bios

Hello,

This is my first thread and it looks like there are many just like them, I have been searching.
    My problem is as the title says there are just zeros for the UUID and the Serial number in the bios of this ancient Hp dv9310us running Vista still until I figure out all the things wrong with it.
    I started working with this laptop and the first problem I noticed is that it will only connect with local network only and the mac address was 00:00:00:00:00:00 and also the wireless does not work but another story.
    But in trying to find out what is going on with this computer has led me to the ability to write the information back to the bios with NbDmifit tool in which I have tried several versions from here and none like this platform.

So I guess my question is does anyone know which version might be the right one for this laptop (if any) Im am now bios f.43

Also if anybody has any insight on the local connection only and the null mac address problem that would greatly appreciated I have been scouring and updating drivers and modifying registry and so on to no avail. seems to be lots of fixes and none work for me.

I was going to put W7 on it but wanted to get bios problem straightened out first.
    sorry for long winded post but this is how it had been, any info you might need I can get.

hp dv9310us
    windows vista 32bit
    1gb ram
    amd turion 64 x2 tl-52
    nvidia nforce networking controller

Thanks in advance

Re: Hp Dv9310us no UUID or ser. number in bios

My understanding is that the WiFi dying on these machines is the first sign of the Nvidia defect, and only a matter of time before the chipset gives up. If so, it might be worth ditching that machine.
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 03-30-2018, 05:12 AM.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
      My understanding is that the WiFi dying on these machines is the first sign of the Nvidia defect, and only a matter of time before the chipset gives up. If so, it might be worth ditching that machine.
      Cant agree more. Dont waste time on this notebook.

Comment

Wi-fi, USB ports and ODD not recognized are indications that it will soon die. I started with this laptop, did the reflows until it just died in my arms. Try the low heat reflow: take out MOBO, use heat gun at around 120 degrees centigrade, hold over video card chip about half inch for 2 minutes. IF you see little bumps like blisters on top of the chip, it is no good at all.
        This is not an easy MOBO to take out, lots of screws and try not to disengage the two ZIF ribbons (power button and DVD buttons), from the MOBO side.
        It was a good computer to learn disassembling, and to really make sure if you will love to fix laptops, such PIA to take apart.

Comment

I have NBDMIFIT that will work with that, but agreed with the other members, that is a sign of the nVidia MCP failing. I am actually surprised it has held up this long, perhaps it has only been used lightly.

Take it apart and show us a picture of the motherboard. If it's the model with just the MCP, i have a way of making that last for 1 year or more, but the platform is so outdated and weak i would no longer bother with it anymore. A permanent solution is only replacing the MCP chipset, and that kind of repair is no longer worth it on that board. If it's also got the nVidia dedicated graphics (8400M or 8600M), forget about it. Both chips need to be replaced in that case, you can buy a good working i3 or i5 laptop for that money.

I loved the DV9000, i think i had 3 or 4 of them. My first DV9000 taught me about BGA failures and thanks to that i became the tech that I am now. I have sold my last one 4 years ago (it was the nicest model too, and i had put a 1920x1200 screen on it; i kept the screen however), it was getting too old for my work. It is time to put them away, they are not worth investing into anymore.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the replies and so quick
            this unit has the nvidia geforce go 6150 graphics reading from system info.
            The usb's still work, and the os all in all works fine except for the local connection only and wireless not at all
            Not sure of the ODD have never tried been using usb for any file transfers

Does the nic card having null mac address is this related at all to the lack of information in the bios, and why is there a lack of information in the bios, is it because the components are dying like you guys are saying.. I am one that needs to know why, I understand that sometimes it just is but there is always a reason.

Also can we just get a usb wireless dongle and use that or will that fail because of the lack of bios machine info.
            I have partially taken apart a hp dv7 so I understand the complexities of the laptops on disassembly and I'd rather not go too far into it if not needed. But really appreciate all the knowledge, plus I am sure the owner does not want to put any money into it (for a friend)
            Yes Th3_uN1Qu3 from understanding the laptop has been sitting for awhile, and was given to a friend and they could not get to the internet with it, I initially thought just some settings were off, but nooo! not that easy. Can I ask without the UUID and ser # in bios and say the components aren't reporting them??? things are not going to work correctly, correct?
            My last question
            thanks again

Comment

UUID and serial number missing is just a cosmetic issue. No MAC address on the LAN card, you can fix that in device manager, search for any tutorial "how to change mac address device manager" and you will find it explained step by step, you should be getting internet connectivity on the LAN after you put in a valid MAC address.

However, no wifi is definitely a sign of a failing chipset.

Okay, so you have the 6150 and no dedicated graphics. That can be made to work for a reasonable length of time (but it will still fail eventually). Do you have the equipment necessary to reflow that chip?

Short version: reflow + copper shim + undervolting will make that work okay for 6 months to 1 year. Assuming you don't burn up the chip during the reflow, of course. If you are keen on repairing this, even though it is a fairly tedious job on a system that isn't worth much, can elaborate if you wish.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                UUID and serial number missing is just a cosmetic issue. No MAC address on the LAN card, you can fix that in device manager, search for any tutorial "how to change mac address device manager" and you will find it explained step by step, you should be getting internet connectivity on the LAN after you put in a valid MAC address.

However, no wifi is definitely a sign of a failing chipset.

Okay, so you have the 6150 and no dedicated graphics. That can be made to work for a reasonable length of time (but it will still fail eventually). Do you have the equipment necessary to reflow that chip?

Short version: reflow + copper shim + undervolting will make that work okay for 6 months to 1 year. Assuming you don't burn up the chip during the reflow, of course. If you are keen on repairing this, even though it is a fairly tedious job on a system that isn't worth much, can elaborate if you wish.
                Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3,
                since it is not my computer (friends) and it is somewhat working, and there is a possibility for internet if I can change the mac address on the Lan then I will go for that for now, but am very interested in the process for future or for another hp I have that has the dreaded flashing caps lock and also it has a power charging issue but that could be another thread. I will try to look up specifically changing the mac in the lan in device manager like you suggested, and let you all know how goes..the owner of said laptop purchased another so He is golden.

As far as having the equipment I am not sure, I have a heat gun, multimeters, soldering irons/gun, and can get whatever.

It was the weekend and the House needed the attention with spring and all.
                Thanks again
                Last edited by 5dollaralien; 04-02-2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I had seen that very same fix for the network adapter mac address fix in the advanced section of properties and also you can do it in the registry as well, but when I saw everything all messed up in the bios I was not sure if needed to take care of that first. Now I know, I opened up a mac address generator and found the nvidia prefixes and went from there and worked right away!
                  Heres to learning, I knew though that it needed a mac address just why it went to 0's was freaking me out.
                  This laptop is pretty clean and plenty of airflow, the fan throttles, seems to work normal except the wireless is out, I think will make it as usable as possible and give it back to them seeing how they have another one now.

I can't believe it is actually installing updates for vista, 106 of them, hopefully nothing bad happens here!
                  Going to look around here for my other problem HP I have that I set aside cause it was real flaky.
                  Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Did you try an external wireless USB card? Cheap solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazorca View Post
                      Did you try an external wireless USB card? Cheap solution.
                      Yes, we have done that, Just got done installing driver and it works great! And so does the ethernet.

Now hopefully it doesn't blow up from normal use, it does get a bit warm.

Thanks everyone for your support

Comment

Working...
                      X