820-00138 Orange Light won't charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

820-00138 Orange Light won't charge

Hi everyone, I have been working on a water damaged 820-00138 ISL6259 was replaced and now have PPBUS_G3H and fan spin without battery plugged in. L7130 measures 16.59V on AC power and 11.03V when on battery on L7130. When plugging in a genuine Apple charger the green light goes on for a brief moment and then turns off. Computer runs fine off battery. Another strange thing is when using a non-official charger the battery does charge. I am at a loss on where to look next. I was suspecting maybe one of the charging mosfets possibly? Q7130 perhaps? I was hoping perhaps someone with a bit better understanding of the charging circuit can point me in the right direction of where I should look next. Any help is much appreciated,

Re: 820-00138 Orange Light won't charge

First of all your current power adapter is that the correct one for your model? Can you confirm for me please what you have.

And also what does your battery status menu report when you have the charger plugged in?
    Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-19-2022, 12:24 AM.

Comment

What does PPDCIN_G3H measure with a genuine charger? The genuine Magsafe's use a load sense in order to switch through the power. PPDCIN_G3H should measure 0V with no charger plugged in. The load is created by R7012. If you don't have 0V here, then you need to check Q7010 and Q7180.

I've had Q7180 go leaky, so allows battery side volts back through it, which interferes with the load detection of the magsafe. Knock off's don't have this feature so just pump through regardless of load.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplebeans View Post
        First of all your current power adapter is that the correct one for your model? Can you confirm for me please what you have.

And also what does your battery status menu report when you have the charger plugged in?
        Hi Simplebeans thanks so much for the response. Yes it is the correct charger model A1424 85W MagSafe2 adapter. Battery status shows that it is just running on battery only. The green light goes out as soon as I plug in the charger. With the battery unplugged the board will power up and I get fan spin with orange light. The light goes out as soon as the battery is plugged in. No green light either. It seems the charger shuts off completely. Then I have to unplug it for a bit to reset it.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
          What does PPDCIN_G3H measure with a genuine charger? The genuine Magsafe's use a load sense in order to switch through the power. PPDCIN_G3H should measure 0V with no charger plugged in. The load is created by R7012. If you don't have 0V here, then you need to check Q7010 and Q7180.

I've had Q7180 go leaky, so allows battery side volts back through it, which interferes with the load detection of the magsafe. Knock off's don't have this feature so just pump through regardless of load.
          Thank you reformatt, I will check this rail later and report back my findings, thank you for this information it is very helpful!

Comment

Shorted charging rail high-side MOSFET, bad charger IC.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by wasaab View Post
              Hi Simplebeans thanks so much for the response. Yes it is the correct charger model A1424 85W MagSafe2 adapter. Battery status shows that it is just running on battery only. The green light goes out as soon as I plug in the charger. With the battery unplugged the board will power up and I get fan spin with orange light. The light goes out as soon as the battery is plugged in. No green light either. It seems the charger shuts off completely. Then I have to unplug it for a bit to reset it.
              I think you mean ‘A1398’, ok have you completed a SMC and PRAM/NVRAM reset?

Check the battery connector board side and just make sure everything is ok on the connector and PINS and report back.
              Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-20-2022, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplebeans View Post
                I think you mean ‘A1398’, ok have you completed a SMC and PRAM/NVRAM reset?

Check the battery connector board side and just make sure everything is ok on the connector and PINS and report back.
                Thanks SimpleBeans, the charger model is a1424 85w charger. The computer is an a1398. I have checked the connector side of the battery and all checks out fine. SMC/NVRAM reset does nothing unfortunately. I am suspecting a bad mosfet as piernov suggested.

Comment

Had a chance to check R7012 and 0v is what it measures with no charger and battery plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post

So I check R7012 and have 0V, in looking at the schematic though I think you may have meant R7120 which is connected to the two current sense resistors on the ISL chip. Now when I measure this point I have 11V. I think we may be onto something here. I think you may be correct in thinking Q7180 is at fault. I will see if I have a donor board to swap this part out. Keep you posted as to the results. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Comment

Replaced Q7180 and Q7010, still no change. Tried multiple chargers, also tried a new battery to make sure it wasn't that.

Comment

So I check R7012 and have 0V, in looking at the schematic though I think you may have meant R7120 which is connected to the two current sense resistors on the ISL chip. Now when I measure this point I have 11V. I think we may be onto something here. I think you may be correct in thinking Q7180 is at fault. I will see if I have a donor board to swap this part out. Keep you posted as to the results. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
                        It is R7012 you need to measure this is part of the circuit with Q7010. If you can measure R7012 and report back please?
                        Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-25-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks it measures 0v at R7012

Comment

Thanks it measures 0v at R7012
                            Thanks ok so that covers the majority of the things it could have been, i think we possibly have left a couple of things to explore here. I need you to do another thing can you also inspect the charging port for any debris and burn marks. I do not think it wil be this anyway because you are getting a green light on occasion but I want to make sure. If you find any debris remove them with tweezers and if there is any marks clean them up, you can use Isopropyl Alcohol (99.9%) and cotton buds. Make it nice and clean and report back please. Remove battery power before doing this.
                            Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-27-2022, 08:12 AM.

Comment

What does PPBUS_G3H and PP3V42_G3H measure with a genuine magsafe and a knockoff? If both measure ok, then you need to troubleshoot backwards on the one wire circuit (SMC_BC_ACOK, U7000, U7001).

Comment

Working...
                              X