Razer Blade Pro 17 2019 Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Razer Blade Pro 17 2019 Dead

MOD EDIT: Posts split to new thread from https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95054

Sorry for necro bump but what exactly was the fix here? I have the exact same issue ... seems like my "C1" completely blew/fell off though.

Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-07-2021, 03:19 PM.

Re: Razer Blade 15 Advanced (2019): BIOS Programming gone wrong

C1 will not be missed in the operation of this flash IC. It is common practice for digital designers to apply a local despike capacitor to suppress regional noise on the power line. While it is nice to have, it is not critical to have.

Often the part is 0.1uf and any voltage rating of the capacitor > than the operational voltage will work. For example, 4v or 6v3, etc. is fine.

Guessing from the pictures, it is 0402 or 0603 in SMD size.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      C1 will not be missed in the operation of this flash IC. It is common practice for digital designers to apply a local despike capacitor to suppress regional noise on the power line. While it is nice to have, it is not critical to have.

Often the part is 0.1uf and any voltage rating of the capacitor > than the operational voltage will work. For example, 4v or 6v3, etc. is fine.

Guessing from the pictures, it is 0402 or 0603 in SMD size.
      Again my bad for necro bump - I am not able to make my own thread yet. I've experienced the exact same turn of events as OP and I've ended up with a dead machine - techie I left it in with says there is damage here but does not know what to replace it with.

EDIT: Forgot image:

https://imgur.com/a/qNTbfYy
      Last edited by amihail; 10-04-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

doublepost
        Last edited by amihail; 10-04-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

The missing C1 may even be 0201 in size. They are dirt cheap and available @ Arrow.com but as noted, this will not stop the proper operation of the flash device.

Hope you still have the flash device?

If you really want to source the C1 cap (or equivalent), send me a PM and should be able to drop ship them. Again, guessing that it is 0201/0402 in size - one of these has to fit the pads.

Comment

u can try with 0.1UF 0201 capacitor on vcc pin 8 and 33omh 0201 1/20 watt resistor on pin 7

Comment

The missing C1 may even be 0201 in size. They are dirt cheap and available @ Arrow.com but as noted, this will not stop the proper operation of the flash device.

Hope you still have the flash device?

If you really want to source the C1 cap (or equivalent), send me a PM and should be able to drop ship them. Again, guessing that it is 0201/0402 in size - one of these has to fit the pads.
              Thanks for the reply!

Haha yes, the chip was removed to verify contents with original Razer ROM - it is showing the same contents in CH341A software & flashrom and sha256sum.

Are you certain that's what missing in the photo? Techie says there is a component missing here and BIOS chip is not receiving any power at all preventing boot up - it is not a BIOS chip contents issue he says.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by amihail; 10-04-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                u can try with 0.1UF 0201 capacitor on vcc pin 8 and 33omh 0201 1/20 watt resistor on pin 7
                Are you saying you think 2 parts are missing? :S

Comment

See attached,
                  Attached Files

Comment

See attached,
                    Maybe there's some confusion - the photo in the bottom right is just the area you've drawn a green box around zoomed in further - as far as techie says voltage is 0 going into the chip.

Comment

Got it. Then we are back to the single 0201 (most likely in size) despike cap only that is not required.

Post the voltage of the resistor in the same picture on the right side. Do you see a voltage going into this resistor?

From your tech, there is no voltage on pad # 8 of this flash device ? (it is the same pad that is missing the capacitor). The capacitor should be +V on pad # 8 and ground on the other side of the pad.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got it. Then we are back to the single 0201 (most likely in size) despike cap only that is not required.

Post the voltage of the resistor in the same picture on the right side. Do you see a voltage going into this resistor?

From your tech, there is no voltage on pad # 8 of this flash device ? (it is the same pad that is missing the capacitor). The capacitor should be +V on pad # 8 and ground on the other side of the pad.
                        Techie is saying chip receiving voltage today but doesn't know why :S - 3.3v coming in on that pad as should be ... still no life about the laptop though, no screen keyboard lights or fan spin up - maybe chip contents after all? Will the machine boot with a lower version of ME externally flashed on there?

Comment

Or is it possible for CH341A to read/write a chip that's actually been burnt out by it's 5v output?

Comment

Bump - still a dead board and out of ideas. Techie gave it back for free and couldn't fix.

Comment

Rewriting chip now shows keyboard lights but turns off immediately !?

EDIT: This chip showing as empty (all FFs) most definitely need a dump from this machine to compare to now.

https://imgur.com/a/u5hqVXM
                              Last edited by amihail; 10-07-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Re: Razer Blade Pro 17 2019 Dead

google "razer blade pro 17 bios dump"
                                first link has a tutorial to get bios from razer site, extract and program with asprogrammer and ch341

Comment

Working...
                                X