Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
    What have you done to be certain that the copper plate is sitting flat on the CPU die?
    I like to test fit it with only a small amount of thermal paste then take it back off to see how evenly the paste has spread.
    Its possible but not very likely that the heat pipe has stopped working. There would need to be a hole or a crack to let the refrigerant fluid out.
    It's lying well on the cpu and only noticed a deep cut on the heatsink itself but i dont think it's enough to let the fluid out since when working with Microsoft word the temperature stays at about 60º, only pushing it to 100% cpu it gets hot very quick.
    I've noticed another cap 220uf inside cpu socket and wonder if that one needs changing too.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
      It's lying well on the cpu and only noticed a deep cut on the heatsink itself but i dont think it's enough to let the fluid out since when working with Microsoft word the temperature stays at about 60º, only pushing it to 100% cpu it gets hot very quick.
      I've noticed another cap 220uf inside cpu socket and wonder if that one needs changing too.
      I don't think its a capacitor problem. Some others disable the CPU drivers as a temporary fix for the original crashing problem. This will also cause high CPU heating.
      To test the heat pipe.
      If the CPU plate is heated with a soldering iron or something other, all parts of the heatsink assembly should feel the same temperature, also the GPU plate.

Mine idles at 45C. How do you test 100% usage? When I search, all I find is how to fix 100% usage.
      Last edited by rievax_60; 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

when loading a facebook game or runing a stress test for cpu it gets hot quick.

Comment

I ran "IntelBurnTest" on my A200. The temperature went to 60C.
          When I stopped the test, the temperature went back to 45C in 15 seconds.
          Are the CPU drivers enabled? You will find them under "processors" in Device Manager.
          Is the fan working?
          Does hot air come out of the vent? I would expect it to be very hot like a hair dryer when the CPU is 100C.
          Last edited by rievax_60; 07-31-2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Yes warm air but hot if I touch the base of the computer with my hand.
            cpu is enabled maybe I should uninstall and reinstal the drivers to make it reset itslef.

Comment

my laptop is toshiba satellite A305-s6903. and when i connect the charger it freezes and power off. i replaced the nec tokin ic behind the processor with the same number nec tokin ic. but the error is still there. please help me regarding this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nilendra View Post
                my laptop is toshiba satellite A305-s6903. and when i connect the charger it freezes and power off. i replaced the nec tokin ic behind the processor with the same number nec tokin ic. but the error is still there. please help me regarding this matter.
                Maybe the nec/tokin capacitor was damaged by soldering heat. How did you solder it?
                Do you have an oscilloscope to check for ripple on the Vcore rail?

Comment

Originally posted by Nilendra View Post
                  Have you tried a different charger? If it has failing caps in it, it may be sending lots of ripple into the computer.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Shihab757 View Post
                    Actually You Don't Need Any BGA Rework For Removing Bad CAP From MOBO,And Never Try Pull It Completely Using Sharp Edged Tool ..Simply Break The Upper Cover Of NEC/TOKIN (You Can Also Melt The One Side Of Upper Cover With Some Hot Sharp Edged Tool )
                    Yep, I just spent 10 minutes with the hotair machine to no avail, even preheated the board - then I went ballistic and did the physical approach, worked much better/quicker and with less potential for damage from excessive heat.

+1
                    YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
                    FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Anyone know if the HP Pavillion DV9000 suffers the similar problem? Client just dropped off a machine (beaten to hell alas), no POST, routinely power cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by inflex View Post
                        Anyone know if the HP Pavillion DV9000 suffers the similar problem? Client just dropped off a machine (beaten to hell alas), no POST, routinely power cycles.
                        They are VERY well know to have an issue with the nvidia graphics chip, try reflowing that and see what happens.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                          They are VERY well know to have an issue with the nvidia graphics chip, try reflowing that and see what happens.
                          Thanks Ben7, greatly appreciated.

In other news, I did order a bunch of the NEC/TOKIN caps to replace the ones I removed - though I must admit, I'm going to be very interested to see how well it reflows in the oven, might put it on a slightly longer preheat/soak phase.

Comment

Thanks Ben7, greatly appreciated.

In other news, I did order a bunch of the NEC/TOKIN caps to replace the ones I removed - though I must admit, I'm going to be very interested to see how well it reflows in the oven, might put it on a slightly longer preheat/soak phase.
                            Others report short lived results after replacing with another NEC/TOKEN capacitor. Its best to read more of this thread.
                            I prefer to use 10x GRM31CR60J107ME39L ceramic capacitors.
                            I scored some for a reasonable price on Aliexpress.

Comment

I'd be curious as to why the replacement NEC caps would fail prematurely after the originals lasted 4~6yrs to date? Old stock perhaps?

Locally the 100uF 1206 Murata caps are about $5/each. Has anyone made up a small PCB that can be used to load up enough small caps and then solder it on in place of the existing NEC/TOKIN cap.

Comment

I prefer to use 10x GRM31CR60J107ME39L ceramic capacitors.
                                I scored some for a reasonable price on Aliexpress.
                                That would be for OE128, right? What about OE907, same?

Comment

Originally posted by zhilla View Post
                                  That would be for OE128, right? What about OE907, same?
                                  They all have been OE128 so far. Tolerances of all these capacitors are so large, one can not be totally certain what is being replaced by what. Its all experimenting.
                                  The 10x GRM31CR60J107ME39L should be an even more suitable replacement for the OE907 because its 900uf.

Comment

hi there-is there anyone on this thread near manchester, england who could do this for me on a eqium 200 please

Comment

This is a long shot. Try “De-Aging” the ceramic capacitors. http://www.johansondielectrics.com/t...de-simple.html
                                      All right sounds intresting.

Any ideas how to do it? +125°C for 1-1.5h

Quote from Wikipedia:
                                      Soft solder is what is most often thought of when solder or soldering is mentioned and it typically has a melting range of 90 to 450 °C (190 to 840 °F).[citation needed] It is commonly used in electronics and plumbing. Alloys that melt between 180 and 190 °C (360 and 370 °F) are the most commonly used. Soldering performed using alloys with melting point above 450 °C (840 °F) is called 'hard soldering', 'silver soldering' or brazing

If I am about to try this how to do it? Hot air pistol?

Comment

Toshiba official info about some caps

Found some info about Toshiba official info about some caps on the net.

Does it belong to this thread?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I'd be curious as to why the replacement NEC caps would fail prematurely after the originals lasted 4~6yrs to date? Old stock perhaps?
                                          Or they were installed with too much heat/too long. Reading the datasheet suggests that they're quite sensitive to heat.

Comment

Working...
                                          X