Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

thank for respon..
    My L300 no display then I replace the NEC 907 with 2 x 470 uF/2.5 V and successfully boot but it freeze when using the AC adapter. Then I added another 2 x 470 uF/2.5 V. Now successfully boot with batt or use charge but only about 1-2 minutes, can help me..
    Last edited by Awfa; 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awfa View Post
      thank for respon..
      My L300 no display then I replace the NEC 907 with 2 x 470 uF/2.5 V and successfully boot but it freeze when using the AC adapter. Then I added another 2 x 470 uF/2.5 V. Now successfully boot with batt or use charge but only about 1-2 minutes, can help me..
      What is the part number of the capacitors so we can see the ESR spec in the data sheet.

Comment

I scored a faulty Satellite A200 via eBay.
        The proadlizer had already been replaced with 4 yellow surface mount capacitors. I measured the ESR of one of them at 80mΩ.
        Does anyone recognize the type of this capacitor?
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttps://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1342226613
        Attached Files

Comment

They look like Tantalum caps.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
            They look like Tantalum caps.
            Well, that's a worry because it means they have limited life also.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
              Well, that's a worry because it means they have limited life also.
              I thought Tantalum capacitors didn't lose capacitance in the way Class II (along with III especially and worse) Ceramic and Electrolytic capacitors do? D:

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                I thought Tantalum capacitors didn't lose capacitance in the way Class II (along with III especially and worse) Ceramic and Electrolytic capacitors do? D:
                The main problem is the ESR being too high. I have not been able to find the data sheet to see what the ESR is supposed to be.
                Maybe the ESR was always high.

Comment

I have not been able to find the data sheet to see what the ESR is supposed to be.
                  That is most likely TPSY337*002#0040, which is AVX TPS Series Tantalum Cap, 330uF, 2.5V, 40mΩ:
                  http://www.datasheetarchive.com/TPSY337-datasheet.html
                  This cap seems similar to RS Stock No. 548-3337, which did not work on my A200.

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
                    That is most likely TPSY337*002#0040, which is AVX TPS Series Tantalum Cap, 330uF, 2.5V, 40mΩ:
                    http://www.datasheetarchive.com/TPSY337-datasheet.html
                    This cap seems similar to RS Stock No. 548-3337, which did not work on my A200.
                    Thanks. That makes sense.
                    I replaced them with 10x 100uf ceramic caps and its working fine.

Comment

I just scored a motherlode of Kemet T520 "V" case caps for a great price ("V" case is lower in height than "D" case - 2mm vs 2.5mm). They're 4V 330uF and have an ESR of 0.009 and a ripple ratting of 4600. My A200 has had some random (Albeit rare) crashing.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I might have less than 800uf because the capacitance decreases with applied voltage with these ceramic capacitors.
                        I dont know the ESR. Ceramic capacitors usually have very low ESR.
                        Your ceramic caps apparently have 1mΩ ESR, which will give a much lower total ESR than the original OE128 or OE907 ( http://translate.google.com.au/trans...ed=0CG8Q7gEwBg ). However, the cap's upper operating temperature limit is around 85C, which could be a problem in hot summers for some people.

It may be worth noting that people have successfully replaced their Proadlizers with small caps of total capacitance from two-thirds to around two-and-a-half times the original value. The safest approach appears to be the exact value to one-and-a-half times the original value but perhaps there is not much risk involved in extending those limits further. It would have been good if we knew the upper limit for ESR as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          I just scored a motherlode of Kemet T520 "V" case caps for a great price ("V" case is lower in height than "D" case - 2mm vs 2.5mm).
                          Both OE128 and OE907 with a Case Code of F25 have a maximum height of 2.5mm so any small cap up to that height should be fine (Case D tantalum caps with a height of 2.8mm are not really suitable anyway). However, especially in Toshiba Satellites that have a metal plate covering the top of the Proadlizer, the lower the height the better it is. Toshiba's designers might have been drunk when designing this metal plate because it conducts heat from the CPU to the fan thus compelling the poor Proadlizer to cope up with this additional heat apart from its own heat and whatever comes from the pads below. In other words the Proadlizer remains in an oven as long as the laptop is on (perhaps it is a good idea not to leave it on for long periods unnecessarily). I had once even considered cutting off the portion of the metal plate that runs on top of the Proadlizer but dropped the idea thinking this might reduce the heat removal from the CPU. After all it is much cheaper/easier to replace the Proadlizer than the CPU.

Comment

Yea, you're right, Case D is 2.8mm, not 2.5mm. I thought everyone was using Case D... Another important thing to consider is the ESR... I checked a lot of Tantalum caps and a lot of them have a pretty high ESR.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I measured 2.8mm of space under the aluminium plate but extra clearance might be needed for soldering.
                              Extra gasket thickness could be placed under the CPU heatsink bracket plate, shown in post 263.
                              The same thickness of metal shim will need to be placed on the northbridge chip.
                              Last edited by rievax_60; 07-19-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

hi everybody

I got one acer aspire 2920 got symptom like the toshiba,using nec/tokin OE907.can somebody guide me how to repair the problem.what type/value capacitor I must use.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by farid multintech View Post
                                  hi everybody

I got one acer aspire 2920 got symptom like the toshiba,using nec/tokin OE907.can somebody guide me how to repair the problem.what type/value capacitor I must use.Thanks
                                  I'm not certain if I am able to help much.
                                  I prefer to use ceramic capacitors. Others prefer to use tantalum capacitors.
                                  Read this thread for details.
                                  Have you located a faulty capacitor in your Acer?

Comment

Well, I opened up the A200 (PSAE6C I think), and it didn't have that cap, but a bunch of tiny ceramics under the CPU and a couple of polymer SMDs. I put in some fresh thermal paste, hopefully that will solve my problem.

Comment

I'm not certain if I am able to help much.
                                      I prefer to use ceramic capacitors. Others prefer to use tantalum capacitors.
                                      Read this thread for details.
                                      Have you located a faulty capacitor in your Acer?
                                      I googled and found out that acer aspire 2920 has same problem with the toshiba,nec/tokin cap got problem

Comment

Originally posted by farid multintech View Post
                                        I googled and found out that acer aspire 2920 has same problem with the toshiba,nec/tokin cap got problem
                                        If you have decided to take the risk of changing the cap then my suggestion is to buy two of either 737-2832, 147-651 or 147-639 and five of either 692-5762 or 692-5766 from http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/ and use some or all of them, as necessary (I would use all the 7 caps to keep the total ESR low). On some websites 737-2832 is being shown as not in stock but actually UK has plenty in stock. It may be better to call RS and check with them before going for the costlier alternatives.

Comment

Sorry, made a mistake in reading the ESR of Case A caps suggested above. In view of this the options I can think of now are (1) 3 or even 4, if necessary, of 737-2832, (2) ceramic caps suggested by rievax 60 or (3) a new OE907 (which may not last too long but safest choice as it will surely work).

Comment

Working...
                                          X