Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

The proadlizer capacitor can be pried from the PCB with a thin sharp knife. I found the solder to be brittle.
    The + terminal strips usually stay attached to the PCB and have to be removed seperately.
    I have been using eight of "GRM31CR60J107ME39L CAP CER 100UF 6.3V" from X-On.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
      The proadlizer capacitor can be pried from the PCB with a thin sharp knife. I found the solder to be brittle.
      The + terminal strips usually stay attached to the PCB and have to be removed seperately.
      How long did it take to pry off? I know this would be an ideal way of removing a component but I do not have the equipment to remove such a thing properly. Any other details to help remove it.

Also 8 x 100 , that is a heap less than the original - so it still works fine?

Comment

Another question regarding the oe907. People here are saying dont replace it with the same just use single 330uF caps. Why is that? Why wouldn't Toshiba had done the same, originally, if it is a better choice?
        I can see the singles would be easier to solder back rather than the eo907.
        Just wondering?

Comment

maybe it's a design flaw or maybe not...

Comment

I repaired the 8th one yesterday.
            The two (-) terminals are actually part of the same metal plate which lifts off easily when the knife point is inserted as shown.
            The edge of the knife is then used to first lift the ends of the remaining (+) strips from the PCB, then are easily peeled off.

Watch out for fine tracks nearby that might be damaged by the knife.

I see some ripple with 6 capacitors and very little with 8 fitted.
            Dont mistake Vcore voltage changes for ripple. I have seen it change from about 0.7 to 1.1 volts, hundreds of times in one second when its power saving.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rievax_60; 05-27-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks all.

The OE907 is removed, now waiting for some Caps to arrive from RScomponents - Capacitor,tantalum,SMT,T520,case V,10%,2.5Vdc,ESR0.009, 330uF.
              So I will end up with about 2.5v 1300uF ESR 0.002 - pretty close to the original in V and ESR (original is 0.0015) but with 400uF higher cap.

rievax, shouldn't you be trying to have 1200uF total seeing OE128 is that value - you have 800uF (not sure of esr of the caps you have)?

Comment

I might have less than 800uf because the capacitance decreases with applied voltage with these ceramic capacitors.
                I dont know the ESR. Ceramic capacitors usually have very low ESR.
                I have decided to keep all 8 of the A200 laptops for now for testing.
                I have seen no sign of instability yet.
                Surface mount ceramic capacitors can crack with temperature cycling. I hope this will take a very long time to happen.
                I like the Toshiba Satellite A200 alot because of the high sound quality. I had to replace the H/K speakers in 2 of them from EMPR.
                Last edited by rievax_60; 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I've been having this problem with my Acer Travelmate 6293 since 4 months ago and I'm glad I finally stumbled upon this forum. Ah.. new specialization eh? well.. so it begins

Comment

I used to leave the proadilizer capacitor in place and add 2 large electrolytic capacitors to the Vcore rail. I think this is the reason for the Vcore regulator failing in one of the A200s I did this to a year ago.
                    One of the high side MOSFETs had gone short circuit, attempting to apply the whole 19v to the CPU causing the power supply to overload and shut down.
                    I replaced the MOSFET and all is working well, the CPU had survived. Also replaced the proadilizer with the 8 100uf ceramic capacitors.

Comment

I have the EXACT same problem. Did you get a solution for your ISKAA LA3481P REv 2A?
                      This is the model that NOT have the NEC TOKIN.I got 15 small and one even smaller.

I have a PSAE4E-039018N5
                      Last edited by freeman300; 06-07-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Could not get the pics right in the past post so:

I have the EXACT same problem. Did you get a solution for your ISKAA LA3481P REv 2A?
                        This is the model that NOT have the NEC TOKIN.I got 15 small and one even smaller.

I have a PSAE4E-039018N5

Comment

This is news to me. Ceramic capacitors excepting NPO type, decrease capacitance with age.
                          http://www.johansondielectrics.com/t...de-simple.html

Comment

This is news to me. Ceramic capacitors excepting NPO type, decrease capacitance with age.
                            http://www.johansondielectrics.com/t...de-simple.html
                            about a 25% decrease over 1000 hours - so me using 4x 330uF would still have it above the nominal amount of the original.
                            The original last 3 years, if I get another 2 now it will be time for a new laptop anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by coaster View Post
                              about a 25% decrease over 1000 hours - so me using 4x 330uF would still have it above the nominal amount of the original.
                              The original last 3 years, if I get another 2 now it will be time for a new laptop anyway.
                              That article only applies to ceramic capacitors.

Its been a while, have you received and fitted the 4x 330uf ?
                              How much do they cost ?
                              The ceramics caps that I use are about $1.10 each plus $16.00 freight.
                              Last edited by rievax_60; 06-09-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biancocf View Post
                                i help this help others , thank's
                                wow it really helps

Comment

hi Greetings, I am a new person on this forum, I also had the same problem with the L300 and I'm looking for a solution to fix it and I've found this forum, thank you for the solution I will try this weekend

Comment

hi Greetings, I am a new person on this forum, I have a problem with hp cq20, restart when going into windows by using batarai or with an adapter, if I turn off the divice manager on the core functions of the safe mode the laptop will work fine, so the solution please , tanks, if one asks apologize

Comment

Originally posted by dede View Post
                                      hi Greetings, I am a new person on this forum, I also had the same problem with the L300 and I'm looking for a solution to fix it and I've found this forum, thank you for the solution I will try this weekend
                                      Have you read the whole thread? There only seems to be a solution for models that use the proadlizer or NEC/Token type of capacitor.

Comment

That's nice work with those caps. So how long have the laptops been running with that setup reliably?

I just did my first A300, used the 4 x 330uf tantalums but they are awkward size.
                                        When you did your soldering did you remove the board and CPU? I could not get those pads to heat up enough to do a good job but I did it insitu without taking the board out. It works but not the tidiest job.

Also maybe RS would be better for supply. Free post and $1.70 per unit (packs of 5. $15 postage is a big whack for something that could be sent in an envelope.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p...633D424F544826

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                          That's nice work with those caps. So how long have the laptops been running with that setup reliably?

I just did my first A300, used the 4 x 330uf tantalums but they are awkward size.
                                          When you did your soldering did you remove the board and CPU? I could not get those pads to heat up enough to do a good job but I did it insitu without taking the board out. It works but not the tidiest job.

Also maybe RS would be better for supply. Free post and $1.70 per unit (packs of 5. $15 postage is a big whack for something that could be sent in an envelope.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p...633D424F544826
                                          The oldest has been ok for 3 months. The 9th and final one would restart once only on cold mornings then be ok all day. Because I have run out of the ceramic caps, I have temporarily added an electro to the Vcore rail.
                                          So looks like I should be using 10x 100uf ceramic caps.

I have left the CPU in the socket and there is no real need to remove the board from the lower case.

No problem with the soldering using a 900M-T-3.2D tip with my Hakko 936A clone.

Comment

Working...
                                          X