Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

My Toshiba L300 Repaired My Self ! ! ! Instructions For Beginners (Like Me )

Actually You Don't Need Any BGA Rework For Removing Bad CAP From MOBO,And Never Try Pull It Completely Using Sharp Edged Tool ..Simply Break The Upper Cover Of NEC/TOKIN (You Can Also Melt The One Side Of Upper Cover With Some Hot Sharp Edged Tool )Below You Can See 5 Aluminum Layers Just Remove Layers One By One With Your Hand For The Last Layer You May Find Little Difficulty, Just Pull That One Also ,COMPLETE ... Now You Can See 4 Parellel Lines There ,Clean In The Surface . .

Try to Get 4x330 2.5 CAP From Local Market ,May Not Get New One ,Go For Scratch CAP From Repair Shops Or Chipset Level Service Centers (Scratch Means Old But Working CAPs In Unused Boards, ) ,For Me It Cost 3 $ (160 INR ), Well He is Not My Friend

Before Placing New New 4x330 2.5 Tantalum,For Beginners Like Me Must Know That The 4 Lines Includes Both Positive and Negative Lines ,2 Inner Lines Are Negative and Others Positive ,and For Fixing CAP Just A Soldering Iron Is ENOUGH ...You Don't Need To Have Any HOT AIR GUN or Blower ...

Still After Replacement It Remains Goes Off On A/C Plugged Just Disable 1 Core From BIOS Not From Control Panel ,and CPU DYNAMIC (UNCHANGED)

Last edited by Shihab757; 07-22-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

That's because you probably used tantalum caps with an unsuitable ESR.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Shihab757 View Post
        Still After Replacement It Remains Goes Off On A/C Plugged
        The probablility of any randomly picked caps working as a replacement for NEC/TOKIN Proadlizers is extremely low. One has to match the cap's specs, especially its ESR. The ones that I have shortlisted so far, as a replacement for OE128, are RS Stock Nos. 737-2832, 147-639 and 147-651 . The 737-2832 (6mΩ each) should also work for replacing OE907 but one has to take the risk and try. You can get them from http://in.rsdelivers.com/companyinfo/contactus.aspx in your country.

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
          If you have decided to take the risk of changing the cap then my suggestion is to buy two of either 737-2832, 147-651 or 147-639 and five of either 692-5762 or 692-5766 from http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/ and use some or all of them, as necessary (I would use all the 7 caps to keep the total ESR low). On some websites 737-2832 is being shown as not in stock but actually UK has plenty in stock. It may be better to call RS and check with them before going for the costlier alternatives.
          ok thanks,i will try

Comment

Originally posted by farid multintech View Post
            ok thanks,i will try
            I hope you have seen my corrected suggestion in the very next post. In a day or two I will also post if 737-2832 (Case V, 470uF, 2.5V, 6mΩ each) work well as a replacement for OE128 in A200 as I have just received 4 of them from RS (Made in Thailand).

Comment

I have soldered 4 of RS Stock No. 737-2832 in my A200 (a bit shabby work) and it is working fine now. I strongly recommend using 4 of these for replacing OE128 or OE907 though RS Stock Nos. 147-639 and 147-651 will also most likely work at least for OE128 if not OE907. Please see my photobucket for photos: http://gs138.photobucket.com/groups/q251/S1BXDWUERU/

Comment

So many helpfull solutions on here but mine persists read next post.
                Last edited by fabiog; 07-25-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                  I think that this is the reason why my computer is overheating when reaching over 95º and shutting down.
                  I have 4x caps 330 2.5 ESR 7 which gives a value of 1.7 mOhm instead of the original caps 1.5 mOhm.
                  I will try to add another cap to reduce the total to 1.4m and see if my problem stops.
                  There is no harm in trying to add another cap but 1.7 mOhm is such a marginal increase from 1.5 mOhm that I would have expected it to work. Next time try to also use a multimeter and check that the cap terminals are shorting well (almost zero resistance) with the respective pads after soldering and there is no shorting between the positive and the negative pads.

My OE128 that worked perfectly for nearly 8 months without any trouble was obviously making a good contact with the pads. However, it simply came off when I touched it as if it was just sitting there without any bonding. Although I had tack soldered it at 8 locations, just one each at a positive and a negative pad would have been sufficient for it to work. I checked the resistance between the pads when nothing was connected fom the top and got zero resistance between the two positive pads and between the two negative pads implying that they are internally connected. Also, I did not find the positive and the negative pads open and got around 5 Ohm resistance between them suggesting that some component is internally attached between them, which is probably not surprising.
                  I tried to add one and then another cap but problem still persists ,laptop reaches +95º and then shuts down when cpu running 100% I have intel T2390 cpu and threshhold seems to be 100º before shutting down.
                  I will have to try the multimeter method and see what results I get.
                  wondering if my fan (running fine) or heatsink (sounds strange I know) is no longer working that well.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                    I tried to add one and then another cap but problem still persists ,laptop reaches +95º and then shuts down when cpu running 100% I have intel T2390 cpu and threshhold seems to be 100º before shutting down.
                    I will have to try the multimeter method and see what results I get.
                    wondering if my fan (running fine) or heatsink (sounds strange I know) is no longer working that well.
                    What have you done to be certain that the copper plate is sitting flat on the CPU die?
                    I like to test fit it with only a small amount of thermal paste then take it back off to see how evenly the paste has spread.
                    Its possible but not very likely that the heat pipe has stopped working. There would need to be a hole or a crack to let the refrigerant fluid out.

Comment

Originally posted by benmah View Post
                      I have nec tokin Oe128 replaced with 4x 330e75 tantalum cap (i believe it a 330uf 2.5V cap). It works perfectly without fail after one yrs but I think it has cause my build-in multi card not to work any more from the beginning. Then I replace it with the orignal nec tokin 0e128. It still works but 2 month till now it starts to show sign of failing. It happen few days ago 3 times cut off suddenly. Now I plan to put back the 4 x 330e75 cap. Don't waste time on the 0e128 cap as it is not durable. I believe it has a 5000hrs life span on a ideal condition from the datasheet. Take a look at the pic. I use only a normal soldering gun. I just break the 0e128 with a test pen and small long nose pliers carefully. Clean up the contacts. Then carefully solder. Hope this helps U guys out there.
                      Hello benmah
                      Thanks for the solution. I have taken out nec tokin 128 with screw driver n cleaned the contacts with 60 watt soldering gun. Waiting for caps 330uf 4v esr 0.012 ohms. Just wondering when I was cleaning the contacts surrounding PCB area became hot around 80 degrees but I cooled it after by blowing air is 80 degrees temp can be harmful to other parts offcourse I took out CPU and all other removable parts
                      Thanks
                      rkn8677

Comment

Originally posted by rkn8677 View Post
                        is 80 degrees temp can be harmful to other parts offcourse I took out CPU and all other removable parts
                        SMDs are meant for reflow soldering where temperatures could reach around 250C (for short duration) so 80C, which is sometimes reached even during normal operation, is just peanuts. As such there was no need to remove any parts. The maximum operating temperature of T7300 is 100C and your CPU's too could be around that. However, it is good to remember that higher the operating temperatures the shorter will be the service life of many components.

Comment

Notsosure,

I found some caps on Mouser that exactly meet your preferred specs but in a Z case format (H=1.7mm).

Given the small height, is this any harder to solder using conventional soldering iron?

Would you recommend those compared to the C and D case components you have been using?

Kemet-T528Z337M2R5ATE008

Also found that the processor and the NecTokin are mounted on opposite sides of the Mobo in my A205 Satellite. NecTokin is accessible after removing top case (keyboard) while motherboard has to be removed from bottom case to access processor. Do I have to remove the processor to do this work? I note your comments to RKN8677 above but not sure it applies to the processor?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cedward138 View Post
                            Would you recommend those compared to the C and D case components you have been using?
                            Kemet-T528Z337M2R5ATE008
                            They seem even better in terms of height and ripple current and almost the same in many other respects. However, their operating temperature range is shown as -55 to +85C. The V case ones (1.9mm height) that I have been recommending are -55 to 105C, which I would definitely prefer. Ultimately it is your call.

Personally I am not in favour of using heat guns, which heat up a lot of things unnecessarily. That being the case there is absolutely no need to remove anything else except the Proadlizer. What is shown in my photobucket is what I did both the times - nothing more. Btw CPU is the central processor, the other one being GPU (graphics processor).

Comment

A friend dropped off her A300 yesterday that has the same issues described in this thread. After some googling, I discovered the capacitor issue. Would four of these do the trick? About the best match I can find here in Canada.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...51-1-ND/639136

Comment

Those will do fine, but ouch, $3.22 a piece. There's also no guaranteeing that your A300 has this proadlizer cap. You should open it up and inspect it first.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Those will do fine, but ouch, $3.22 a piece. There's also no guaranteeing that your A300 has this proadlizer cap. You should open it up and inspect it first.
                                  Thanks for the reply. I've already opened it up and the NEC is there.

Comment

People who do not want to open their laptops straight away can first do some research on the Internet by visiting various sites such as http://www.irisvista.com/tech/ to see if there is any Proadlizer in their model. A300 does show OE907 at STEP 15/16 here http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...-process-1.htm.

Ideally one should use 4 caps of maximum 6mΩ each to get the total of 1.5mΩ, which will perfectly match OE907 but, I believe, 4 caps of any single digit ESR cap (in mΩ) should work fine. Of course one has to look at other specs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mconway View Post
                                      About the best match I can find here in Canada.
                                      http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...51-1-ND/639136
                                      I would say T520V337M004ATE007 and T520V337M2R5ATE007 are somewhat better selections but digikey.ca probably does not have enough stock.

Comment

I would say T520V337M004ATE007 and T520V337M2R5ATE007 are somewhat better selections but digikey.ca probably does not have enough stock.
                                        I can get T520V337M004ATE007 from ca.mouser.com. Better because of the lower ESR?

Just checked the shipping and I'm not paying $20 to have 4 caps shipped
                                        Last edited by mconway; 07-29-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mconway View Post
                                          Better because of the lower ESR?
                                          Yes, go for it. I like RS maily because they ship them free. I had paid around AUD3 per cap for RS Stock No. 737-2832 but there was no shipping charge even though RS Australia had to source them from UK.

Comment

Working...
                                          X