Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

820-2914-B Macbook EFI reset to wipe password, now no power??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

820-2914-B Macbook EFI reset to wipe password, now no power??

Greetings! I got a 17" Macbook Pro that I tried resetting the EFI password on. The computer still turned on and charged.

I was able to read and verify three dumps from the EFI chip, then I modified it removing the two $SVS sections and flashed it to the chip successfully.

Now the laptop won't show any lights on the charger, or the battery status lights, and nothing happens when I try to turn it on.

I did not remove the EFI chip from the board when doing my work. I followed this guide: Mac EFI Password Removal (Github)

What did I do : ( What do I do now? I'm willing to dig in with a multimeter, fine tip soldering iron, and micro heat gun

I've attached the original and my modified bins.

Thank you!

Machine Info: A1297 Macbook Pro 2011 i7, board 820-2914-B, EFI chip Micron 25Q064A
    Attached Files

Re: 820-2914-B Macbook EFI reset to wipe password, now no power??

i delete only first $svs block, also perform pram reset on first start after reflashing bios.
    Last edited by zpi; 12-10-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply; Unfortunately I just tried only replacing the first instance of $SVS from the bin, verifying every read and flash along the way with md5sum. Still, no signs of life on the laptop or charger

Comment

Originally posted by drnict61 View Post
        Thanks for the reply; Unfortunately I just tried only replacing the first instance of $SVS from the bin, verifying every read and flash along the way with md5sum. Still, no signs of life on the laptop or charger
        1st) in case you use jumper method than check voltage on pin no 8 if it is present (if jumper method went wrong can be cause to dead)

2nd) if you have make backup of original dump before flashing than you may try the original backup and check if laptop back to the life
        Last edited by qayyum786; 12-10-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Magsafe LED is completely unrelated with SPI ROM.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Measure pp3v42_g3h when magsafe connected, also check sys_onewire

Comment

pp3v42_g3h measured at c5750 and c5755 and c6908 0.0v

sys_onewire measured at r6929 0.0v

doesnt seem to change with any combination of magsafe + battery

Comment

So your problem pp3v42_g3h, it is first rail to power up after dc in rails. Measure U6990 pin7, pin4 only with MagSafe connected. Also measure resistance to ground on L6995 without charger.

Comment

U6990 measured 16.8v
                  L6995 w/o charger multimeter beeped at me on both sides of the inductor

Inductor bad?

Tysm

Comment

Inductor never goes bad . You have short on your pp3v42_g3h rail.
                    Do you have lab power supply ? If no, you have to lift one side of L6995 and measure resistance to ground in ohms on both sides, only one will show low ohms, let me know which one.

Comment

Lifting it! Pin 2 beeps, nothing on pin 1 : )

Comment

Ok, so something is shorting on output of pp3v42_g3h, you have to inject 1-2volts in L6995 pin 2 (probably will be some capacitor) and try to find hotspot. You also can open boardview (i assume you have it) and inspect all places where pp3v42_g3h goes.

Comment

Working...
                        X