Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo w701ds won't power with lcd cable attached.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo w701ds won't power with lcd cable attached.

Hi I have a odd problem that I am stumped with at the moment. I recently went to switch the main screen on a dual screen w701ds and now it will no longer stay on if the lcd cable is plugged in? It boots up just fine if the cable is unplugged. The cable itself is fine. My friend who needs his unit back asap is willing to pay for a new motherboard ;however , if the new screen somehow shorted the board I don't wont to repeat that event. When I changed the screen out the battery was not installed and there was no power to the unit. Does anyone have experience with these dual cable screens is there some simple step I am missing? Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Re: Lenovo w701ds won't power with lcd cable attached.

try replacing lcd panel first if LVDS cable has no short. i think that screen is shorted that is why the mobo does not start with the cable on.

one way to check if LVDS cable is short is to connect just the cable to the mobo without the screen panel. if laptop wont start, cable is shorted. if it works, lcd panel is shorted.

hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for your reply fddizon. That's the strange thing the laptop only posts without the cable even the new cable with no screen attached. There was no power to the board or battery installed when I switched screens. When powered with the new screen there was no odd metal contact to cause a short and no smell or spark. The old screen worked before I exchanged them. I believe the problem is with the board and I will likely order a new one but I don't wont to repeat the event that damaged the board the first time. My guess is that the new screen was the cause. How would I test just the screen?

Comment

Check the pins in the LVDS socket. I've had LVDS pins bend together a few times and cause all sorts of weirdness.
        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Looks like there is a small chip in the plastic but there does not appear to be any bent pins.

Comment

Working...
          X