Lenovo 3000 Y410 won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo 3000 Y410 won't boot

I was given this laptop to look at it if it's fixable. It's an old one bad in very nice shape.
    When I plug it in, one blue LED turns on between the mouse buttons.
    When I start it up, the fan turns on, the HDD light comes on for like two seconds and then the laptop shuts off. It seems like the mobo those it's thing, no?
    On the screen, nothing shows, not even the backlight.
    Did not come with HDD and power adapter. I have used just a random HDD around the house, not even sure if there is a Windows on it or not. HDD spins up though.
    It has a 1GB ram on the top slot.
    I have took it apart and found one of the USB port's pins(all 4) pushed in against a big SMD diode. Didn't seemed that they were touching any metal surface.
    I have found the CPU lock half way tight, so I have removed it, cleaned it and applied new paste and re-installed it, no change.
    I have checked any obvious fuses, voltage regulators and they seem fine.
    Power adapter is from another laptop, which I had around the house. 19V/3.42A.
    Not sure what else can I do with it.
    It's my first laptop repair attempt. I'm mostly, at the TV/monitor section on this forum.
    Last edited by tibimakai; 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM.

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 won't boot

I had a similar problem with a Compaq laptop. The solution was doing a reflow on the video chip.

Comment

I thought that the video chip issue is an HP problem.

Comment

No other inputs?
        Can be CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
          No other inputs?
          Can be CPU?
          well worth swapping Cpu if you got one
          even ram, also try botom slot
          those bent Usb pins you mention, you say they are not touching any metal, hope they are not touching each other as well
          you can remove hdd if suspect, it should still come up with a cant find error thou
          Last edited by trebo; 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Already tried the bottom memory slot, but I haven't swapped the memory yet with another. Will do it.
            The USB port may have had a short in the past, since all four pins were pushed in. Could this cause this problem? I'm think it could. The 5V is there though.
            HDD is just a random HDD that I had. PC did not come with one.
            If the graphics chip had problems, it shouldn't show any image on an external monitor? This one doesn't show anything.

Comment

check the CMOS battery if it failed the display may not work but the rest might.
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The voltage is 2.7V.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                  If the graphics chip had problems, it shouldn't show any image on an external monitor? This one doesn't show anything.
                  I agree with you, but that applies to the Cpu and ram as well

Comment

there are some possibilities, one of the secondary voltage regulator is short or a circuit is short connected to them. discrette or onboard vga needs reflow.

Comment

I could try re-flow too, but I have never done it before. There is a good how to somewhere?

Comment

In the first place, you'll need flux and a hot air gun, do you have them or do you know someone who can borrow them?

If you do, you'll have to disassembly the laptop. Cover the motherboard with aluminium foil except for the video chipset. Then heat for 3 minutes at 230ÂșC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjWXExWM4RU

When you assembly back again your laptop, remember to use thermal paste!

Originally posted by trebo View Post
                        I agree with you, but that applies to the Cpu and ram as well
                        Good to know but I think that pretty unlikely to happen, especially the CPU.

Comment

I have everything that is needed. I repair TVs and monitors.
                          What I do with the flux?
                          The laptop is already taken apart completely.
                          Unfortunately I don't have another memory or CPU. It has dual row memories, most likely is a low density type memory.
                          Those SMD caps on the chip and on the bottom of the mobo won't move away by heating it up the chip? I guess I have to use very low air flow.

Comment

Yes, sorry.
                            Spread flux on the sides of the GPU. When you heat it, it'll melt and get under the GPU.

Comment

I have tried the reflow, but it didn't change anything.
                              It must be something else. I will look for another CPU on Ebay, maybe I can pick one up for a couple of bucks. Maybe even a memory.
                              Cmos battery voltage is 2.6V, should I replace it? It should be 3V.

Comment

2.6v is enough.

Comment

I have purchased an upgrade one, T7250 for $5.38 shipped.
                                  This laptop uses PC2-6400 memory, but it seems that even PC2-5300 should work also.
                                  I may have some of those.

Comment

The laptop is running fine.
                                    I'm not sure, what fixed the problem though.
                                    I was using all this time an external monitor. Today when I have seen that is not turning on the monitor, I have tried it, with it's own screen and it worked.
                                    Now I don't know if the re-flow, or the replacement CPU fixed it.
                                    In the BIOS, it was selected only the laptop display, it wasn't on the Auto select.
                                    Important is, that is running.
                                    Thank you all who helped me.

Comment

Working...
                                    X