Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP OMEN-X 17T-AP000 not turning on

Hello Everyone
    I have the laptop mentioned in the title that is turning on then turning off after a few seconds. (fan spinning)
    Board number is:
    DA0G3CMBCH0 Rev H
    I have not found any boardview or schematic.

I have found that GPU line is 0.0 Ohm shorted, but the VRM mosfets are not shorted.
    YES indeed the short is 0.0 Ohm in resistance mode.
    I have lifted all the four GPU coils and found that the GPU line is 0.0 Ohm shorted.
    After this I have injected 0.9V and the board drawes 0.56A
    The problem is That no matter how much time I inject voltage, nothing gets got.
    I would guess the problem is one of the GPU capacitors but since nothing gets hot i do not want to remove all of them one-by-one.

Do you have any idea How could i found the source of the problem?
    Last edited by questore; 09-18-2023, 02:10 PM.

Re: HP OMEN-X 17T-AP000 not turning on

First short your multimeter probes and see the readings. Then put black to GND and red on GPU coils-What is the exact resistance?(meter should be in 200 Ohms scale). GPU coils may show resistance as low as 0.2 Ohms depending on the GPU. So are you sure your GPU is shorted?

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      First short your multimeter probes and see the readings. Then put black to GND and red on GPU coils-What is the exact resistance?(meter should be in 200 Ohms scale). GPU coils may show resistance as low as 0.2 Ohms depending on the GPU. So are you sure your GPU is shorted?
      Thank you for your time to answer.
      + My Probes are premium kind so it has 0 Ohms resistance when I short them together
      + Multimeter shows 0.0 Ohms when touched to GPU coil end. Sometimes it goes up to 0.1Ohms for a second. (nvidia 1070m)

Also some more info:
      After lifting the GPU coils the laptop still starts when power button pressed and after 3 second the latop shuts down.

Comment

With an nvidea 1070 chip, you can expect 0.1 ohms as not shorted. Take your pick.

Comment

With an nvidea 1070 chip, you can expect 0.1 ohms as not shorted. Take your pick.
          Ok thanks that explains the amperage draw not going higher.
          Then I start from the beginning.
          + No more coils that are low on ohms so I start by measuring the coils before and after power button pressed and POST you the result.

Comment

These new gen GPU's are confusing many technicians. people who are working in this field for a couple of years, usually has an idea that 0.1-.03 ohms resistance is short as that used to be the norm earlier. But now things are really way different. yesterday had an asus amd ryzen gaming laptop with GTX1060 and gpu resistance was 0.1 ohms. I fixed the board and gpu was fine. So thumbs up from me for post#5

Comment

These new gen GPU's are confusing many technicians. people who are working in this field for a couple of years, usually has an idea that 0.1-.03 ohms resistance is short as that used to be the norm earlier. But now things are really way different. yesterday had an asus amd ryzen gaming laptop with GTX1060 and gpu resistance was 0.1 ohms. I fixed the board and gpu was fine. So thumbs up from me for post#5
              I think I have to by a new multimeter that is more accurate and can show resistance until decimal characters of 3.

Comment

When Plugged in the following voltages are present on coils:
                3.3v and 5V
                When power button pressed, one more 3.3v, 1.0v and a 1.25v is present on more coils.

- I found that as soon as I plug in the charger (no button pressed), the GPU coils has 0.3V. Is that normal?
                G1 is 0.3v on the mosfet.
                GPU Mosfets are:
                E6930 dual mosfets
                https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/1...tors/AOE6930/1
                If i understand N channel mosfets datasheet right then G1-D2=0.3V-20.1V should be between 1.3 and 2.1V but it is minus 19,8V so it should be turned off right? (G1=0.3, D2=20.1V)
                Last edited by questore; 09-25-2023, 07:19 AM.

Comment

For N-channel mosfets, the GATE voltage to ground should be higher (boosted) than the voltage being passed between source & drain pins.

Often used for DCin mosfets where the adapter voltage is ~19 volts and the boosted voltage as applied by the BQ (BenchMarq / TI brand) charger ICs is:

ACDRV = adapter voltage + REGN voltage = 19v + 6v = 25 volts to enable the N-channel mosfet via the GATE pin.

If you suspected a defective mosfet, check its resistance.

Remove all power -> meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance across:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                  source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                  gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

* above pin #s are for a typical 8 pin mosfet.

Post each measurement. If the measurement is too low, the mosfet is most likely defective. Do flux and remove with care - be patient. Then test the removed mosfet after it has cooled down to see if the results remain similar or not.

Comment

I'm still just collecting informations, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but since alll GPU coils are driven by individual gates, and all of them have 0.37v on the coil and on all high side gates , thats shouts for a problem elsewere so I thought maybe the driver chip is the one to blame. So after searching a while i found a Up9511P Datasheet:
                    https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datash...I/UP9511P.html
                    After poking the pins I found that Ref voltages and 5VCC are present, but Enable and PGOOD are 0v and still the PWM1,PWM2,PWM3,PWM4 outputs are 0.37v.
                    It seems to me that this chip is need to be replaced. (Chip is not heating or anything)

Please confirm my theory.
                    Last edited by questore; 10-05-2023, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Personally i see no reason to dig somewhere in as long as it wasn't clarified whether all the other buck converters are enabled, have the correct voltages and healthy resistances to GND.

For example: The CPU needs to be fully powered before concluding any issue with the GPU
                      Last edited by Sephir0th; 10-05-2023, 11:41 AM.
                      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                        Personally i see no reason to dig somewhere in as long as it wasn't clarified whether all the other buck converters are enabled, have the correct voltages and healthy resistances to GND.

For example: The CPU needs to be fully powered before concluding any issue with the GPU
                        I would agree if i would search for the power up sequence. But the values above are present as soon as i plug the charger. No power buttom pressed yet.
                        Also when i press power button, no voltages on CPU so you are right on that one.

Comment

Checked CPU PWM mosfets, there is 3 type of it (someone changed it multiple times maybe) marked TYPES on the top:
                          PMHE86903917c
                          PMKP86903112C
                          MPGP86901733B

Top view schematic and layout from this forum:
                          thread was:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1063196

All Mosfet gets:
                          + 1.45V on the PWM pin (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)
                          + 3.3V on VCC pin (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)
                          + 20v on VIN pin
                          + 2.8V on BST pin (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)
                          + 1.23v on CS pin (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)
                          + 0212v on VTEMP/FLT (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)
                          + 3.3v on SYNC (ON PWR BUTN PRESS)

BUT no voltage on the sw coils.
                          Coils have 1.8 Ohm resistance by default

Comment

Resistance to GND could be fine for 7th gen i7...

however, you have again digged way to deep. i mean i have no problem with that, but it is basically waste of time. Ist the System Agent powered at least (+VCC_SA)?
                            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                              Resistance to GND could be fine for 7th gen i7...

however, you have again digged way to deep. i mean i have no problem with that, but it is basically waste of time. Ist the System Agent powered at least (+VCC_SA)?
                              Where should I check VCC_SA? no schematic or boardview.
                              CPU PWM manager is an MP2949A
                              (MP2949A datasheet)

Comment

Where to check next? Where is VCC_SA? Should I post pictures of the board 2 side?

Comment

Can Anyone help me where to go next?

Comment

Looking closer on the board on MP2949A i have noticed that on ADDR_P pin there is two missing resistor. These two controls the PMBus addressing and the default is a 0Ohm resistor to ground, and no stuf on the 1.8v line, but as i see pictures of the motherboard on the internet, they both present. There is a table for the values but what values should i use for the correct address?

Comment

MP2949A Controller voltages after power button press:

1-12 CS: 1,2v

13-23...not measured since the PWM-s are still in tri-state
                                      24 IREF: 1,2v

25 ADDR_P: 0v
                                      26 VDD18: 1,81v
                                      27 SCLK: 1,02v
                                      28 SDIO: 1,02v
                                      29 ALT#: 126mv-> 1,02v
                                      30 VRRDY: 3,37v
                                      31 VRHOT#: 1v
                                      32 SDA_P: 3,36v
                                      33 SCL_P: 3,36v
                                      34 STB: 3,28v
                                      35 SLP_S0#: 3,36v
                                      36 PE: 0v

37 EN: 3,28v
                                      38-43: 1.41V
                                      44 VDD33: 3,29v
                                      45 TEMP: 213mv
                                      46 PSYS: 0v
                                      47 VIN_SEN: 1,2v
                                      48 CS6: 1,2v

Comment

Should I change the MP2949A Controller ??

Comment

Working...
                                        X