HELP A1989 screen with dimmed brightness issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP A1989 screen with dimmed brightness issue

Hi guys. I bought a MacBook A1989 screen assembly from Alibaba, and after replacing it, I realized that I was scammed. The screen is dim, and the keyboard backlight doesn't work. I have researched and found that there is a software called SteelLite-ervds _v3-06 LCD EEPROM Programming that can fix this issue. However, I have been unable to find a place to download or purchase this software. If anyone knows where I can download or buy this software, please kindly help me. Thank you very much.

Attached Files

Re: HELP A1989 screen with dimmed brightness issue

Have you contacted the vendor through Alibaba for support? I would attempt this as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Have you contacted the vendor through Alibaba for support? I would attempt this as soon as possible.
      yeah, I sent support but no one replied

Comment

How was it paid? Through a credit card?

If yes, file a dispute of the charge immediately.

We are currently disputing a purchase from WCH for parts for a new product design. The parcel was never delivered due to a damaged label and is stuck in Hong Kong. Yet, AliExpress is refusing to listen and has released the payment to the store. Have an open case with the credit card company.

Comment

How was it paid? Through a credit card?

If yes, file a dispute of the charge immediately.

We are currently disputing a purchase from WCH for parts for a new product design. The parcel was never delivered due to a damaged label and is stuck in Hong Kong. Yet, AliExpress is refusing to listen and has released the payment to the store. Have an open case with the credit card company.

can you tell me where to download or buy this SteelLite-ervds _v3-06 software to fix my problem ?

Comment

Not sure but you can ask the stores on AliExpress. You should list the store on Alibaba that sold this bad display for others to avoid.

Is your camera working?

Is the display bright with the logo till the login screen? Then goes dim?

Comment

Not sure but you can ask the stores on AliExpress. You should list the store on Alibaba that sold this bad display for others to avoid.

Is your camera working?

Is the display bright with the logo till the login screen? Then goes dim?
              I have exactly the same problem. New compatible screen, bright on boot then goes dim....

Do you have a solution?

Thank's...

Comment

I think this is your problem?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...hes+after+boot

The LCD backlight controller is a ghetto house marked one from TI (former National Semiconductor group). Respectively, no public datasheets I could find in a quick search.

From the schematic, this controller is configured over I2C (aka SMBUS) interface using the SCL / SDA lines.

Have a few ideas for a fix but are 'hacks'.

Hack idea #1 -> allow for the unit to boot with the bright screen and before logging in for the dim backlight intensity, strap eith the SCL or SDA line LOW (ground). Doing so will halt further I2C bus communication so any further attempts by the host I2C bus master to dim the display will be rejected. This is safe to do but is a hack. If you get a chance and with care, consider to test it. Post your feedback on the attempt.

Hack idea #1 -> use an I2C bus analyzer to monitor the communication from the host to this I2C slave. Review the logs (ie. Total Phase tools are good for this) to learn how the display is being dimmed.

Then use a low cost microcontroller (WCH has some parts for around $0.10 USD) -> they have lots of code examples + free GCC compiler -> use the I2C code example and target this I2C slave address -> apply the micro's SCL/SDA lines onto the existing ones on the logic board.

Using a time delay or pushbutton, etc., allow for this micro controller to send out the I2C bus packets to dial up the intensity again, back to normal. The value of the backlight can be user defined.

Personally do not have the setup to test out the above.

Comment

Hack ideas #3 - use a low cost circuit to assert a logic low after a small power on delay. The output of this circuit will be open drain (hi-z) upon power on. This will allow for the backlight i2c circuit to drive the lcd display but the addon circuit will lock down the same settings since i2c communication will fail if the SCL or SDA line is stuck with a logic low. This idea may be best and should be under $1usd to implement.

Comment

Read the comments from just1ed posted here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...en+replacement

Comment

Thank's... Experimenting....

Comment

Originally posted by dongthoai9xvn View Post
                        Hi guys. I bought a MacBook A1989 screen assembly from Alibaba, and after replacing it, I realized that I was scammed. The screen is dim, and the keyboard backlight doesn't work. I have researched and found that there is a software called SteelLite-ervds _v3-06 LCD EEPROM Programming that can fix this issue. However, I have been unable to find a place to download or purchase this software. If anyone knows where I can download or buy this software, please kindly help me. Thank you very much.
                        Any body have info about SteelLite-ervds _v3-06 ? where can buy it?

Comment

I have this software !

Comment

Please post it here to assist future repairs.

Comment

This is the software you are looking for !
                              In my memories this software works on High Sierra
                              I just tried it on montrey but I can't launch it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

It seems to works only on Mojave !

Comment

Hello, to solve the brightness problem do the following. Start the macbook with catalina or bigsur, open the steellite app and in the second tab change the value of the id panel to A039 then click on write to eeprom, close the steel and restart the macbook, with that the system applies the correct values at startup and the backlight level is corrected. I advise you against playing with the eeprom and its values and always make a copy of the eeprom before touching anything. Luck.

Comment

Thank you roxu31 for your post on the details. Very much appreciated!!

Comment

hey guys. I didnt get the app work on catalina. Is there any other version of it ?

Comment

Working...
                                      X