Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 REV: E - Shorted TPS65988CE

Hi All,

We've got a HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 REV: E in last week with a no power no charge light presentation. Device at first would pull 20V .6A and you could see the TPS 65988CE getting quite hot. But before I could complete checking all USB C ports and both sides of the cable it seems like the TPS has died out as now I'm only getting 5V .2A. I found there was a short on most of the caps around the TPS so I decided to remove it and retest which removed the short.

I've done some googling and have found a lot of people posting about this chip and after they replaced it the system still did not power on, and there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the TPS65988CE requires programming or not. Has this been discovered yet?

Also how do you differentiate between the variants of the TPS65988? It seems like there are 3 variants, but it seems like all 3 have different datasheets and they all have the same package type/size so I'm having difficulty differentiating between the variants. Ali Express seems to be the only one listing them as TPS65988CE, id rather order them from digikey or even better someone locally like RS components or element 14 if I can but there labeling them as TPS65988 DH,DK,or DJ, RSHR.

Thanks for the assistance.

Re: HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 REV: E - Shorted TPS65988CE

Yes, this power delivery controller requires firmware to function.

This firmware is perhaps injected by the external smbus master using the I2C interface as per attached document.

Lenovo brand, for example, offers a dedicated firmware file to reflash this controller for their logic board.

See attached on a firmware document.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Ok thanks for the confirmation. In that case I'll order in a new board. I haven't ordered any programmers yet and I've got a bad feeling the board has further faults other than just the TPS as it was originally getting 20V but still wouldn't boot/give a charge light. For instance one of the resistors next to the thunderbolt controller (at least I think that's what it is, looks like Titan Ridge on the Macbooks, the large chip Alex from Northridge always has to replace) is reading as if it has the outside leg away from the chip is on ground which I've never encountered before.

Comment

TPS65988CE is not available at electronics retailers, datasheet is not available either.
        It's a different chip from the other (publicly available) TPS65988 variants, footprint is not the same.
        Only available on eBay/Aliexpress, and the amount of fake/dead ICs on there is very high.
        I think it can be taken from any donor board with that IC, but at the same time it's possible the donor board is a donor because this IC is bad, would need a donor with just a dead CPU for example… Also hard to find a donor for cheap.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Fair enough, thank you Piernov. I thought it was a customized version since the data sheet was nowhere to be found. Nice to see the trend of manufactures copying literally everything Apple does is still going strong

I've ordered a replacement board instead to be safe. As I mentioned above, I've got a strong suspicion there is more wrong with the board apart from the TPS so I would rather order a new board and wait 3 weeks than order a replacement chip and find out A it does not solve the problem, B is a fake, C requires programming and I do not have the tools let alone god knows where you get the firmware from.

I'll put the board aside to have a play around with when I get some free time. I've also got a Dell Inspiron with what I suspect is another fried USB C controller, (original owner plugged it into a USB C power bank and that instantly shut off the machine and refused to turn back on) so I'm guessing that shorted the USB C controller as when I did a IPA test the IC was literally boiling. Hopefully two easy fixes when I get some free time to look at them.

Comment

Fitted the new board seems to be working ok, just wanted to ask is it normal for bitlocker recovery key having to be entered multiple times? Last time I did a board swap every time I rebooted the laptop I had to enter the bitlocker recovery key like 5 times each after a reboot than it eventually went away.

This one I've entered the key, and windows has disabled the login pin so I have to wait till the customer comes in so she can reset that up. I'm assuming you have to enter windows and reboot a few times before it removes the bitlocker requirement?

Comment

HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 any one please help me, Please uplode Usb type C controller firamware file.

Comment

Originally posted by binoyroy View Post
                HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 any one please help me, Please uplode Usb type C controller firamware file.
                Bios/firmware requests go here -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40 .Did you read this whole thread,see posts 2 and 4.
                Go to HP support,enter the laptop serial number to find drivers.Firmware downloads are sometimes listed seperately.

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  Bios/firmware requests go here -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40 .Did you read this whole thread,see posts 2 and 4.
                  Go to HP support,enter the laptop serial number to find drivers.Firmware downloads are sometimes listed seperately.

thankyou for your replay but there are no any type c controller firamware listed in hp site.

Comment

Working...
                  X