ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
        Here's an image I found not majorly long ago:
        ROFLMFAO

I actually clicked the wrong button when I voted in this poll... I've recapped a few Dell's.... Older ones (P3's), nothing too recent.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Dell......
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX270 - multiple bad cap failures

I have replaced 3 sx270 motherboards in the last 2 months because of dead caps, with another going bad right before I left on vacation and anothor that has that has bulging and leaking caps but hasn't shown signs of failure yet. So thats 5 SX270's that have failed or are failing in a lot of less then 20 sx270 in our offices.

I can not believe dell is not doing a recall on the SX270.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Dimension series of computers are being affected? i haven't seen any dead Dimensions but we have a fair amount at the university that I work at (roughly 100-200 or so). The ones we have are Dimensions 4500-4900 models that I am aware of.

I haven't seen any bad caps on those models or really had any issues with them but I want to be aware if there could be an issue.

Comment

Have you checked the Dell forums...

wait they may be like the MSI forum....if it doesn't tow the line = DELETED
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

We're a State entity that ordered 3000 GX270's from Dell about 18 months ago. Over the past three to six months we've seen approximately 300 motherboard failures and that number increases every day. Our usual failure indication is the video going black. Sometimes you can reboot and the problem goes away but typically not. When we call into Dell sometimes the techs will go right to the caps (are they bulging/leaking) but other times you have to jump through all their hoops (swap this, check that, run diags, etc) before they'll even mention checking the caps. We've been raising a fuss with Dell but are getting "your failure rates are within normal parameters" types of response. Makes me want to use white-box clones for our next batch!!!

Good luck everyone!!

Comment

Makes me want to use white-box clones for our next batch!!!
                    the best method. but also not a good idea to make the whole batch exactly the same components. spread the risk.
                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I've just bought a DELL GX270 desktop from my company with the badcap problem. Can anyone advise me what capacitors should I use to replace the old ones? Can I use caps with exactly the same parameters except the brand? Or ones with a higher voltage? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Read the FAQ. it's there for a reason.

--Randy

Comment

monzol : what values of HN or HM series nichicon you have on the board?

Comment

It's nichicon 1500uF 6.3V

I found the following capacitor to use as a replacement:

type: Aluminium Electrolytic
                            brand: Panasonic
                            Manufacturer's part number: EEUFC1A152
                            Voltage: 10V(dc)
                            Capacitance: 1500
                            Leakage Current 0.01 CV or 3 µA Whichever is Greater
                            Diameter: 10mm
                            Lead Diameter: 0.6mm
                            Length: 25mm
                            Life Expectancy At 105°C: 3000H

Can you please confirm if this is OK?

Comment

you gotta replace ALL the HN or HM series nichicon on the board, even some of them look fine they will ALL fail later. others said there were :

3 x 1500uf
                              3 x 1800uf

so check again.

in response to your question. yes it is ok to replace a 1500uf 6.3v with a 1500uf 10v. The Panasonic FC that you have chosen are excellent caps. The only problem which is a common problem in sourcing caps is that those caps will be 10mm width and not 8mm width like the existing ones on the board. It is pretty difficult to get 8mm width caps anyway. so if you are installing them in positions close together you might have to angle the caps or bend the leads so they are flat on the board. it looks bad but works fine.
                              Last edited by willawake; 07-25-2005, 04:12 AM.

Comment

On this motherboard there are 5 x 1500 uF nichicon caps and all the 12 x 1800uF are Rubycons. This motherboard has four memory slots, so probably this is why the two extra 1500 uF caps. I've ordered the five caps, so in a few days time I'll let you know the results.

Comment

Replaced the five nichicon caps and now the PC is stable. Before, with the bad caps, I had to switch the pc on at least 30 mins before I wanted to use it to warm it up so that it doesn't fail during the POST process. Now it's all stable and I'm glad I found this website. Thanks for it.

Just a tip for the removal operation:
                                  After removing the old caps using the tilting method, I used desoldering braid (copper wick) to soak the solder from the wholes. It's quick and probably less hussle than using pump and needle, and leaves the wholes completely clean from solder.

http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/Produ...DESC=12%2D6050

Comment

I've used the same thing, but I also have access to gear that will get it sparkling clean...
                                    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Now I've got two of my colleagues who also bought GX270's from the company. I'm doing the replacement for them. Just re-ordered the capacitors. One of the motherboards is a smaller one that has the 3x1500 and 3x1800 caps. I only could find 1800uF 25V capacitors, the diameter of which is 16mm that might be a bit bigger than that of the original ones. Hope I'll be able to squeeze it in between the heatsink and the connectors.

Comment

You guys want word straight from the mouth of the monster here it is, this is Dells official stance for the known GX/SX 270 capacitor issue (as well as any future and past ones)

Problem: Technicians voice to the customer that there is a KNOWN ISSUE

Description: For an hypothetical example: Customer calls in saying that they have read on the internet that there is a known issue about GX270s capacitor having issues. If we state that there is a known issue, Dell can face legal action. Not to mention that it would cause sales to plummet down because people will lose confidence in Dell products.

Solution: If it is found that a technician has stated to a customer that there is a "KNOWN ISSUE," that technician will be directed to his or her manager and GTSA for formal coaching.

and----

DO NOT!!!! Voice platform / component issues with the customers directly, or indirectly!!!!!!

There have been issues with technicians voicing to the customer either directly, or in an indirect verbiage that there are issues with motherboards / HDDs / etc.

I am resending this TAM alert that was sent in early May. A Technical Account Manager will be coming around to visit with you if you are messaging any platform, or component issues to customers.

(THESE ARE EMAILS SENT TO DELL PHONE TECHNITIANS IN RESPONSE TO THE GX270
                                        CAP ISSUE )
                                        I cannot say who I am but I can say this is the real deal, but in short they want us to lie to customers
                                        (TAM STANDS FOR TECHNICAL ACCOUNT MANAGER)

Comment

this is typical with big business.a friend about got turned off forever on computers due to the bullshit and stonewalling dell put him thru trying to get a new system to run stable.after all the runaround dell customer nonsupport gave him he asked me over the local 2m repeaterwhat to do with the system other than take it to the shooting rage as a target.
                                          the fix was easy.
                                          flash the bios.
                                          guess the monkeys with scripts in india dont know to tell ya that.
                                          and supermicro denied and lyed through their teeth about their cap issue too.
                                          had a customer with 6 new supermicro boards that were unstable at any speed/os
                                          they blamed everything in the book for the issue.
                                          the guy was ready to trash them when i told him to bring them in for recap.
                                          they are still in operation today 24/7/365 with no problems.
                                          i guess there are enough sheep to fleece and stay in business awhile longer with the current business model..
                                          i do everything i can to discourage newbies from buying hp/dell/compaq/ect.

Comment

Working...
                                          X