Jetway V266B still good??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetway V266B still good??

I have a Jetway V266B PCB v.3.0 "blue coloured" motherboard running a Duron 750MHz with 512MB of SDRAM and it's filled with GSC caps everywhere except for the VRM output caps which are OST.
    The VRM input caps are 4x GSC 1500uf 6.3v, scattared in other areas of the board are GSC 1000uf 6.3v and some OST here and there.

I got it for free earlier this year when the original owner of the PC decided to upgrade. Now, the PC runs practically 24 hours a day as a network/file server for the last 10 months or so.
    The old owner had powered the Jetway V266B board off an FSP PSU, but that was used during the upgrade, so now I have a recapped DEER PSU in there.

Only problem is that the GSC caps will not bulge at all or show any visible signs of damage.

My PC is also under constant load the whole time because it sends and receives files etc, but it has never crashed etc.... sometimes it needs to be restarted because of some Windows errors but that's about it.

Because this PC is mission critical sometimes, I think it would be wise to recap the board.

So i've checked my drawer and I have some caps left over from my PSU recap, but they are Panasonic FJ 2200uf 6.3v and not 1500uf 6.3v.... will they be safe to use on the VRM input??
    I also have Hitano EXR 1500uf 10V caps, but I heard that thier ESR is higher than the Panasonics.
    For the 1000uf 6.3V caps, I have a bunch of Sanyo WG caps here which fit perfectly.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 11-05-2007, 05:57 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Jetway V266B still good??

Originally posted by stevo1210
    will they be safe to use on the VRM input??
    There should be no problem by bumping up the capacitance by one level. It is generally better to go up in capacitance rather than to go down.

In fact with age the capacitance will lower, eventually it will reach 1500 uF one day.

Comment

Humm well with the VRM you can bump it up
      (to me, thats with in reason)

Went looking fo a decent pic but didn't find one, so just working off what you said

So if you replace the 4 X GSC 1500uf (total is 6000 uf) your going up by 25% +
      with 4 X 2200 uf 8,800 nominal

I think you will get away with that no worries

GSC well I guess they are going to go sooner then later so yeah recap since you wanting like 24/7 out of it

As to the other well depends on what there being used for
      The Sanyo WG would be my preferred choice over the Hitano's

If its not a heavy duty area you could use the Hitano's I suppose

(although I know of one computer that has them running in the VRM for a couple of years or more and they were OK, its on a lot of the time so they are possibly better then they use to be, Hitano )

You want to make sure you got good ventilation to keep the heat down cause thats a cap killer as well

Also I dont know if the caps are aqueous or non-aqueous FJ or the WG.
      (I got a feeling the FJ is aqueous But dont know for sure)

If you have been following the discussions on that it maybe an idea to find out
      as non-aqueous type probably would be the better choice (by the looks of it) in a 24/7 operation.
      (non-aqueous can tolerate heat better)

Just a point you may want to consider really

Anyway regardless you are aware of the issue so its really just a matter of checking from time to time and watching for strange things happening regardless of type.

thats my thoughts on it

unless anyone can see a possible reason why not

BTW the only pic I found seemed to show 4 caps 6 fets and 7 caps near cpu is this the arrangement?

I think you will be OK

Cheers
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

This is how i did it.
        The 16V caps can be exchanged by 6.3V though.

Comment

That board BEGS for a heatsink on the FETs.
          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Thanks for the very nice photo Phenos.

Since its there I note not all positions are populated

So stevo like my Gigabyte as you can see 4X 3300 uf is used instead of 7 1500uf
            (only I went the other way with the FM's , pulled 4 3300 uf Sanyo WG and used 9 2200 uf))

The only thing I may have done a bit different there was put the centre one of the 3 (blue) caps in the P4 position to allow a little more air flow around them
            It might put it electrically closer to a fet pair (phase) too
            (balance it up a tad)
            Which may not be a bad idea

Probably "neither here nor there really"
            but might just help a tad.

Heat would be my main thought, thought

Heat sink, well keeping thing cool is always a good idea I think

If you can use 6V3 (red) then it must be a +5 volt VRM (I think)

From what I can see looks like a HIP 6301 VRM controller

You will find some pdf's HERE if your interested.

So humm there you go Stevo, good luck with it and post a photo of your pride and joy when its done mate

Cheers
            Last edited by starfury1; 11-06-2007, 03:45 AM.
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
              Went looking fo a decent pic but didn't find one
              I forgot about the pic. I have some pics of the board that was previously posted in a different thread. The board still in the exact same condition as the picture I previously posted.... though it is a bit dusty now.

The pics are about halfway down the page on the thread.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3861

[QUOTE=starfury1} If you can use 6V3 (red) then it must be a +5 volt VRM (I think)

From what I can see looks like a HIP 6301 VRM controller
              [/QUOTE]

Starfury, you are definitely correct. The VRM is a 5V VRM because the board can be powered by an ordinary ATX PSU without the extra 12V CPU power cable.
              I can see in Phenos image that the board will be able to work with 2200uf caps on the VRM input. I will use the Panasonic FJ 2200uf caps I have left over from the PSU recap.
              I don't have enough 2200uf caps for the VRM output, but I have a bag full of Hitano EXR series 1500uf 10V caps. I've used Hitano EXR on a VRM on an IBM motherboard for over 12 months now and they hold up quite well. Though I am not sure if they should be used in a mission critical server.

Thanks.
              Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Well if you got something better using them would be my preferred Idea.

but as above They seem to be lasting in a P4 units VRM, which is mostly on
                you will just have to make sure you check them once in a while
                (keep the case well ventilated)

Noticed on your pics the chip had a different number not that i've compared them
                (but considering they aren't going to revamp the MB design (unless they got no choice) its must be same dog different name)

6301 20 pin......... 9237 28 pin device

Here the PDF on the Richtek RT9237 Controller

Grab it Stevo, have a read and keep it for reference.

Cheers

Stevo's pic linked for reference

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...achmentid=5726

Oh and yeah taking the caps up a bit wont hurt at all, I don't think considering what your planning
                But not the guru on this
                Last edited by starfury1; 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM.

Comment

(but considering they aren't going to revamp the MB design (unless they got no choice) its must be same dog different name)
                  6301 20 pin......... 9237 28 pin device

might need to look at the controllers a bit closer
                  (or possible support circuitry)

Anyway

Comment

I got the same board today, nice board! It is free from my friend, luckly this version V266B is maximum support AXP 2600+ (133MHz FSB). Problem is unstable, but still can boot, worth to recap it. Soutbridge VT8233A is not support USB2.0 is the only dissatisfy for this board.

Latest BIOS Ver A13 can source here --> http://216.185.128.200/temp/jetway0c...b/v266bA13.BIN
                    Attached Files
                    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
                      Soutbridge VT8233A is not support USB2.0 is the only dissatisfy for this board.
                      True. I am also disatisfied about that. Also, if you take a look at the USB header pins on the motherboard, the 5 pin side of the 9 pin arrangement of the USB pins is on the opposite sides to other boards so a regular USB bracket header will not fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X