Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing caps on acer x241w learning experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing caps on acer x241w learning experience...

Well to be honest I have hardly ever worked with electronics before and only soldered a couple times in a class room so this is a big learning experience for me.

Basically my Acer x241w turns on but only after 15-30 attempts at turning it on and off.. very frustrating in the morning when I am trying to check something before work.

After reading online I found here to be a good source of information about this problem and how to rectify it.

Earlier today I decided to at least take apart my monitor and see what is up with the caps and sure enough some of them look bulged.

As far as I can tell I should replace cs11 cs12 cs13 cs16
    Does this seem correct?
    What company and type of capacitors should I get?(sorry for the very ignorant question)

This will be my first time soldering and expecting the finished product to work so I am going to practice a lot between now and when my caps arrive, hopefully can find some random electronics on garbage day.

Here is a potential problem.
    The soldering gun I have access to is a Weller 8200n this seems a little bulky for this job or am I wrong?
    Also the solder is .092 diameter, is that too big?

Thanks for any responses and all the information this forum and its members have provided me!
    Last edited by shinycaps; 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM.

Re: Replacing caps on acer x241w learning experience...

You need a 60 watt pencil type iron.
    For a one time thing a china-cheapie from ebay will do for uUnder $10.
    Make sure voltage is right for your country. [110 vac or 220 vac.]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290448150296
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350353346220

If you will do it all the time then a Hakko 926 or 936 with a 907 iron is nice.
    Have easy to find replaceable parts and tips.
    The 926&936 are the same specs&circuit. Just -look- different.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hak...286.m270.l1313

Need some solder braid to clean up the old stuff.

Solder should be .020 to .030 or so.

Depending on what series those CapXon are good replacements are Panasonic FC or FM series. Some series of CapXon are better grade than FC but most aren't.
    Fc and FM are available at Digikey.com
    When in doubt use FM. [Better and sometimes cheaper than FC.]

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      very helpful

Comment

If the monitor is more than 4 or 5 years old, you might as well recap everything. Caps are relatively inexpensive.

Also you will need a desolder pump or solder braid. I prefer the pump.

The soldering gun is overkill. I bought cheap solder irons off ebay. They work, but the quality is poor and the tips don't last long.

Originally posted by shinycaps
        As far as I can tell I should replace cs11 cs12 cs13 cs16
        Does this seem correct?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

At the very least all the CapXon need to go.
          Notoriously bad in LCD screens.

What other brands are on it?

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

taicon

Comment

Well I had moved the monitor to an area where I can mess around with it and sunlight was hitting it at an angle it never had before and it seems that there is actually a display and it is the backlight turning off after a couple seconds.
              Is this most likely the same problem? It is unclear in the threads I am able to find on the issue.

I have already ordered capacitors, solder, braid and a iron.
              Would like to figure out if there is anything else I should check before waiting for parts to get here.

Thanks again.

Comment

I had one monitor where bad caps did cause "2 seconds to black". Once I changed the caps, the problem went away.

Once you change the caps, there is a possibility that you will get 2 seconds to black. The bad caps in your monitor may have caused damage to other components? But the first step is to recap and test from there.

Originally posted by shinycaps
                there is actually a display and it is the backlight turning off after a couple seconds.
                Is this most likely the same problem?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here.

I had to do it by screen shot because BCN can't handle a PDF of any reasonable size.
                  Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

hey, sorry to relive this experience

ive been surfing for the acer x241w "repair" suggestions

yes same symptoms, menu "no signal" even though it gave signal, (says no signal but is showing the desktop) periodic black screens then it worked fine
                    finally it gave up and went all black
                    it sat awhile and was donated to me to fix as i fixed several GX270/280 dells and a dell 18inch monitor before

i had the same problem, blown caps
                    or so i thought

so it came with tons of crappy CapXcon blown all over the board and a few Taepo scuttled here and there.

I replaced them professionally with my little variable waller iron
                    also I found a blown 3amp fuse on the backlight inverter board
                    the first time i heated it too high because the solder removing it actually floated through to the other side
                    anyway, i got it all done!
                    those little pico 3amp fuses are easy to find

well i plugged it back in again and checked to see if the backlight came on
                    no backlight
                    i checked the high voltage plugs, no voltage... nothing
                    so the inverter wasnt even working either

i dissected it again and again checking with my trusty fluke MM all kinds of spots on the board for any shorts or faulty ohms
                    nothing i can find

plugged it back in again to check if it had screen with my flashlight and the stupid backlight inverter board didnt like having questions asked and quietly began catching a fire!!
                    a U chip on it had burned up two prongs and it was done

therefore i now have a good tested power inverter (plug) and a controller board (vga)

hopefully someone will want them

i am being horrified by the bad reports on this monitor
                    and the cheapest capacitors possible placed in critical high temp areas

makes me really want to rip up my two dual screen monitors to check if i need to recap them also! sheesh
                    if i ever experience a glitch with those ill be unplugging them immediately and spending the next 24 hours on my bench

Comment

Some of the Dells blow this pair of transistors and some other parts.
                      I haven't done one myself. I've just seen them in here repeatedly.
                      You can get the parts on eBay fairly cheap if that's it.
                      Use the search feature and search your model number HERE and see if anything comes up.
                      Someone may have done most of the work for you already.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Sorry for lack of updates, waiting on soldering iron to come in still.. hopefully sometime this week.

Little update on something I have found out. I don't actually have to sit here turning the screen on and off for a half hour or more.. All I have to do is turn it on and let it sit on but with no backlight for about an hour. Then I turn it off and back on and the backlight stays on. So it seems like its waiting for something to warm up.. Not exactly sure what that would be or what it means.

Comment

Before I begin.. SUCCESS!

Sorry about how long between updates as I have been very anxious about my first real soldering fix so it made procrastinating very easy.

I first broke apart an old radio and practiced unsoldering and resoldering components and grew confident pretty quick.

So with my enthusiasm i quickly took my monitor apart and got to work..
                          and then I made a rather large beginner mistake... I failed to notice the glue holding the one cap in place and ended up overheating the pad and surrounding board way more then i was comfortable with(started to look brown/burnt) for the next 40min of the project. But at this point all I could do was press on and hope for the best.
                          The soldering wick seemed to be effective but only if i used it once I had the cap out to clean the hole.

Soldering the new components in place was very easy and all but one of my joints I was very pleased with. I considered retrying the one joint but it was on the pad that I believed I had already pushed to its limit so I decided to let it ride.
                          I used 63/37 solder so I figured the joint probably was not non functional.

I decided not to replace cs14 and cs15.. I have the caps on hand but at the time I was very nervous about this project going south and decided to limit my chances at failure.

After putting it all back together and plugging it in I am now typing this post on it minutes after starting it cold.

Thank you all so much for your help.
                          and thank you to this forum in general.
                          You have saved me a lot of grief and provided a great learning experience.

Thanks again

Comment

Just would like to post the same experience from me: same monitor, same problem, even same 4 caps popping up. Went to store to get 4 replacements and soldered them back. My monitor is working like new again! Thanks for the great information.

Comment

Originally posted by nicetouch777 View Post
                              Just would like to post the same experience from me: same monitor, same problem, even same 4 caps popping up. Went to store to get 4 replacements and soldered them back. My monitor is working like new again! Thanks for the great information.
                              What store? What brand caps?
                              You might be doing it again soon.
                              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

My issue with my Acer X241W is that when it is powered down or on standby for a period of time, there is garbage on the screen for about 5-10 minutes. After which time the display appears to be normal. As long as the system does not poer down, the display works fine. If it powers down, then once powered up, the garbage is on the screen for another 5-10 minutes. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sounds like either a static build-up issue [while it's off] or a cap that needs to warm up before it works right.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by gamo62 View Post
                                    If it powers down, then once powered up, the garbage is on the screen for another 5-10 minutes. Any suggestions?
                                    Take it apart and look for bad capacitors. Also, please do not cross post in multiple sub forums.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I had the same problem, where the backlight will turn off after a second of turning the monitor on.
                                      I replaced the 4 capacitors as described in the original post, and now the monitor turns on.
                                      BUT, it is stuck in self test mode, where is shows a series of patterns(Gray-white-colors-gray-scale etc.) changing every second or so ...
                                      Any idea what caused it? or how to stop it?
                                      The monitor still recognizes the signal, and it goes to powersave when there is no signal, it just doesn't display the image ...

Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by yakirg View Post
                                        I had the same problem, where the backlight will turn off after a second of turning the monitor on.
                                        I replaced the 4 capacitors as described in the original post, and now the monitor turns on.
                                        BUT, it is stuck in self test mode, where is shows a series of patterns(Gray-white-colors-gray-scale etc.) changing every second or so ...
                                        Any idea what caused it? or how to stop it?
                                        The monitor still recognizes the signal, and it goes to powersave when there is no signal, it just doesn't display the image ...

Ideas?
                                        Maybe you should post some clear pic of the power supply board front and back. I am sure most of us can give u some advice.

Comment

Working...
                                        X