Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iiyama Prolite E430S click sound

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice on fixing a few broken LCD which I have. One of the LCD is a Iiyama Prolite E430S.

I have taken the monitor apart, on inspection the power supply board is emitting a constant click sound on power up. I have replaced two bulged caps C922 and C925 (1000uF 16V). The click sound still appears but I can't seem to locate where it is coming from. My suspicion is the ZD904 zener diode which might be broken.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Iiyama Prolite E430S click sound

Originally posted by llphat View Post
    I have taken the monitor apart, on inspection the power supply board is emitting a constant click sound on power up. I have replaced two bulged caps C922 and C925 (1000uF 16V).
    For this monitor and your LG in the other thread, it is always helpful to post clear focused top down view pictures of all your boards (both sides) as close to 2000x2000 resolution using the manage attachement. Please do not post inline.

The clicking sound is probably the smps trying to startup. The small cap proceeding it is likely bad. It is around 22uF 50V and does not have to bulge in order to be bad. It can be out of uF tolerance or have high ESR (ohms).
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Image of photo board now attached.

I have replaced two 1000uF 16V caps on the top right corner of the power supply board image.

Indeed there is a 22uF 50V cap next to the IC901 at the bottom right of the photo but I do not have equipment to test. I will find a suitable replacement to see if it solves the problem.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by llphat; 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Indeed there is a 22uF 50V cap next to the IC901 at the bottom right of the photo but I do not have equipment to test. I will find a suitable replacement to see if it solves the problem.
        Lucky guess on my part. They can range from 2.2uF to 47uF.

This board looks Benq-ish. In particuluar, check Q211 and its partner, Q209 and its partner for shorts.

BTW, the cap just right of J210 has the sleeve partially burnt off. Since caps are farily inexpensive (less than $1), I suggest you replace that one in case there is damage to it?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Indeed there is a 22uF 50V cap next to the IC901 at the bottom right of the photo but I do not have equipment to test.
          If you measure the voltage across this small cap, does the DC voltage fluctuate or is it steady? Please list the measurement.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Image of the back of the power supply board attached.

Initially I had suspected ZD904 at the top left of the image as it looks rather burnt.

I had just tried to measure the voltage across C907 the 22uF 50V cap. When I put a voltmeter across it the clicking sound slows down, reads around 15V steady but when it clicks (now slower) the voltage drops to about 10V.
            Attached Files

Comment

Initially I had suspected ZD904 at the top left of the image as it looks rather burnt.

When I put a voltmeter across it the clicking sound slows down, reads around 15V steady but when it clicks (now slower) the voltage drops to about 10V.
              1) You can measure ZD904 "in circuit" with the diode check function on the multimeter.

2) PlainBill talks about pulsing on the small cap ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...48&postcount=4
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
              X