Fixing a DAC-19M005 Power Supply - check my DX:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing a DAC-19M005 Power Supply - check my DX:

Here is my proposed fix of the DAC-19M005 power supply found on a number of 19" LCDs, mine is an ACER1916 WA . The unit had no power, no lights, and no sound. On dis-assembly I found only one bad cap, 161V on the main filter capacitor, and no blown fuses. Following are my diagnoses, testing, and proposed parts list.
    1. I replaced all 7 caps with matching Panasonic FM series, although several had very low ESR. These OEM's were Capxons KF series made in before mid-2007.
    2. On boot the same symtoms continued. I then tested the DC output voltages and found 0.0 instead of 5V, and less than 1V instead of the 13.8V expected. Checking the bridge rectifier (DB100) with the power off I got about 20 ohms on 5 leg pairs but pair 2-3 (the A/C's) was 0.0 ohms. So this component is bad.
    3. Next I checked the pair of Mosfets Q205 and Q206 and pulled the one which seem to be shorted, and on retesting found the fet had about 25 ohms with the gate charged, but would not discharge to the touch. Since one failed and the other is the same make and age, I will replace both of these units.
    4. Since I couldn't get any voltage readings out of the Shottky diodes D102 and D103 which should be the 5V and 13.8 volts spec, I pulled one and tested it on the bench this way....black on cathode, red on anode looks open, reverse read 25 ohms....looks then to be good, but not sure about this VOM test and the one still on the board, so will order one of these just in case.
    5. I found an SMD fuse on the back of the board, F200, which had not blown, F103 fuse was still good too at zero ohms, and I finally also checked the transistor Q102 with 20 and 50 ohms so figure it is OK too.

Here is the parts I want to now replace with new ones I'll be ordering from Digikey :

DB100 is marked D2SB 60A which is a 600V 2A Bridge Rectifier ; will order Digikey no. KBP206GDI-ND

Q205+ Q206 marked 40T03GP which traced to form TO-220 N channel 30V 40A Mosfet; order two 497-3187-5-ND

D102 or D103 marked SBT 150 10 is Schottky diode size 10 100V 15A ; order one 869-1025-ND

F200 SMD fuse in case I blow the repair testing, .125"x.035"with a 5(?) on it; order 1206SFF500F/32CT-ND

Please critique my diagnoses, testing, and of course the parts to be ordered for accuracy...and A Big Thank You !

Re: Fixing a DAC-19M005 Power Supply - check my DX:

Originally posted by kingofcoins View Post
    Q205+ Q206 marked 40T03GP which traced to form TO-220 N channel 30V 40A Mosfet; order two 497-3187-5-ND
    Why don't use the original one?
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

1. I replaced all 7 caps with matching Panasonic FM series, although several had very low ESR. These OEM's were Capxons KF series made in before mid-2007.
      Capxon doesn't have the greatest reputation here regardless if they tested good on the ESR meter.

Checking the bridge rectifier (DB100) with the power off I got about 20 ohms on 5 leg pairs but pair 2-3 (the A/C's) was 0.0 ohms. So this component is bad.
      20 ohms, in my books, is enough to indicate a short. If you measure a working bridge rectifier, you will see the ohms measurement is much higher.

Since I couldn't get any voltage readings out of the Shottky diodes D102 and D103 which should be the 5V and 13.8 volts spec
      When there is no voltage at the Schottky diodes another possibility might be that the SMPS controller is not starting for a number of reasons. Look up the part number of the SMPS and find the datasheet. Compare the voltages found with the datasheet.

I finally also checked the transistor Q102 with 20 and 50 ohms so figure it is OK too.
      In my books, 20 ohms suggests a shorted transistor.

Here is the parts I want to now replace with new ones I'll be ordering from Digikey :
      In the future, it would help forum members if you could provide links/urls to the existing datasheets and the digikey part numbers. It saves us time by not having to search for datasheets.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-21-2010, 11:18 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

4. Since I couldn't get any voltage readings out of the Shottky diodes D102 and D103 which should be the 5V and 13.8 volts spec, I pulled one and tested it on the bench this way....black on cathode, red on anode looks open, reverse read 25 ohms.
        I usually test those diodes this way. Set multimeter on diode test. Pin 2 is middle.

a) red on pin 1, black on pin 2
        b) black on pin 1, red on pin 2
        c) red on pin 3, black on pin 2
        d) black on pin 3, red on pin 2

One way should read open, "1", or 0L. The other should read something between 0.3 and 0.8 V.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Data sheet links

Here's what I found on OEM and Digikey data sheets:
          40T03GP Mosfet OEM sheet.... Can't find
          DIGIKEY :
          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...8448f1f7d5.pdf

SBT 150 10 Shottky diode oem sheet (same make as Digikey) :

D2SB 60A Bridge rectifier oem Sheet is at: http://kazus.info/datasheets/102915/D2SB60A.html
          DIGIKEY :

F200 fuse ...'S'on oem no schematic available, size 0.126" L x 0.063"
          DIGIKEY SHEET:https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...29bd6ba8e7.pdf

Comment

equevarae...regarding the oem Mosfet, seems to be a no-name generic make and couldn't find any links anyway to 40t03GP.

Retired...regarding the SMPS controller, since I've no schematic, so am I to look into part U102 a 4 pin chip labeled L0649 817B ?

Originally posted by eguevarae View Post
            Why don't use the original one?

Comment

One request, could you post photos of your board.
              Some questions, when you checked the bridge rectifier did you remove it from the circuit?
              There is another fuse you did not mention, it is F102 it is by the SMPS coil close to Q102.
              Al.
              F102 is coverd with white, I guess glue?
              Last edited by alexanna; 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM. Reason: added something
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

equevarae...regarding the oem Mosfet, seems to be a no-name generic make and couldn't find any links anyway to 40t03GP.
                Google brings up over 6000 hits. There are 26 auctions for them on eBay.

Retired...regarding the SMPS controller, since I've no schematic, so am I to look into part U102 a 4 pin chip labeled L0649 817B ?
                The 817B is an optocoupler, not the SMPS controller. The SMPs controller is an 8 pin IC mounted on the bottom of the board near the SMPS transformer.

I note that you seem to be 'shotgunning' this (throwing a bunch of parts at it, hoping that one fixes the problem). While that is a way of fixing it, it's not an efficient way. One of the truths of electronics repair is that most failures are caused by a single component. Cascading failures are not impossible, but they are rare. And they follow a logical pattern.

Note the links in my signature. Pictures of the power supply board, top and bottom. Also, the part number of the SMPS controller.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill,This monitor may be the exception to several failures ,What I have noticed is that failing capacitors cause a two second to black problem. The owner can get the monitor to work by pushing the power button multiple times and the monitor works until it goes to sleep,and the owner will repeat the power button process multiple times until it starts to work. Eventually the monitor quits altogether, and things get really fun to try to repair.
                  I agree with your systematic diagnostic process, Start with why there is no 164v to the large capacitor and build from there.
                  Al.
                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

BILL:
                    Sorry for the confusion on parts and data sheets...this P/S was an old 'learning trial' I want to re-use. If you look closely at my attached pics, you should find several mistakes...one serious one on top and some goofs on bottom. As I recall not only was there one original failed component as you point out, but then as a newbie tester I made a few sparks, and blew my VOM fuse. That's why I pulled and tested so many parts now.
                    The 8 Leg SMPS controller is U 104, part DAP8A PWKJ.
                    Yes I found all the links to 40T03GP, but was at a loss to find such at my favorite Digikey (they don't carry AP's and I'm not a fan of FeeBay).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Al...
                      My sentiments exactly. The parts list my be overkill, but I'll have them to re-build as needed.
                      Also for that F102 fuse you asked about, would you please check my pics and point it out...can't seem to find it on my 19M005 board. Thank You !

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                      PlainBill,This monitor may be the exception to several failures ,What I have noticed is that failing capacitors cause a two second to black problem. The owner can get the monitor to work by pushing the power button multiple times and the monitor works until it goes to sleep,and the owner will repeat the power button process multiple times until it starts to work. Eventually the monitor quits altogether, and things get really fun to try to repair.
                      I agree with your systematic diagnostic process, Start with why there is no 164v to the large capacitor and build from there.
                      Al.

Comment

Al...
                        My sentiments exactly. The parts list my be overkill, but I'll have them to re-build as needed.
                        Also for that F102 fuse you asked about, would you please check my pics and point it out...can't seem to find it on my 19M005 board. Thank You !
                        look right next to the center leg of Q102
                        Al

Comment

Thanks Al, F102 looks like a resistor in my Ver 01A! It measures about 100 ohms...but I can't tell
                          the band colors, do you know the spec ?
                          Did you happen to have found a schematic of this board ?

look right next to the center leg of Q102
                          Al
                          Last edited by kingofcoins; 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks Al, F102 looks like a resistor in my Ver 01A! It measures about 100 ohms...but I can't tell
                            the band colors, do you know the spec ?
                            Did you happen to have found a schematic of this board ?
                            I scraped some of the white glue away, the board is marked F102.The component is gray in color with some different colored bans on it.
                            I guess the board could be mismarked or could this be a fuse resistor?
                            Al.
                            no on the schematic
                            Last edited by alexanna; 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Has 5 bands but the 5th band is black....so I'm guessing a fuse resistor...I think its orange, black, orange w/ gold....but it could be red, green, red ...either way its way more than 100 ohms.
                              What does yours measure ?

I scraped some of the white glue away, the board is marked F102.The component is gray in color with some different colored bans on it.
                              I guess the board could be mismarked or could this be a fuse resistor?
                              Al.

Comment

Has 5 bands but the 5th band is black....so I'm guessing a fuse resistor...I think its orange, black, orange w/ gold....but it could be red, green, red ...either way its way more than 100 ohms.
                                Well i am sorry but my reads open,
                                Al.
                                Did you have voltage to the large cap?
                                Last edited by alexanna; 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM. Reason: added something

Comment

For your 40T03GP, an IRF540 is an excellent alternative.

Comment

Thanks but I think I may want to stay with the 30V 40A spec...I see the
                                    IRF540 is rated at 100V 36A.
                                    However Digikey has a 60V 43A version, is this a better choice than either the 30 V or the 100V ?
                                    https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0e3ce33550.pdf

Also I have corrected the F200 fuse choice to a Bourne 2 amp, cause that '5' is not what's on my fuse , its a capital 'S"...and S in Bourne=2amp
                                    My Digikey choice is now:SF-0402S200-2CT-ND

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                                    For your 40T03GP, an IRF540 is an excellent alternative.
                                    Last edited by kingofcoins; 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I have a good Delta DAC-12m033 board. It has the same gray component next to Q102 it is
                                      Orange- black- orange-gold-black assuming my eyes are correct in the colors and its measuring 98.2 ohms.
                                      Al.

Comment

Even 36A is some current rating, for a simple PSU/Inverter.I have used the IRF for the last three years, with no returns,AND these are used on other Boards as well.Its your choice of course,but 'the proof is in the eating'..as they say in some places in the world,and I have proved these are fine.Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                        X