Harmon Kardon HK490i no output left channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmon Kardon HK490i no output left channel

I was given a Harmon HK490i receiver years ago and it worked awesome. I was forced to store it for a few years and when I got it back out the left channel was really fussy cutting in and out but if I fiddled with the balance knob I could get it to work fine. I used some air in a can to blow out the balance knob but it did not help. Had to store it again and now the left channel is gone. If I have the volume knob all the way down the right speaker is silent while the left you can hear the input source very faintly (like someone has their headphones up loud across the room) but if I even slightly turn the volume up the left goes out and its all gone. I have the service manual I will attach hopefully someone can help me out.
    Attached Files

Re: Harmon Kardon HK490i no output left channel

Blowing air at the controls won't do anything. You need to use some DeOxit cleaner on your front panel switches and controls.
    Is it plugged in?

Comment

Ok, I'll give that deoxit a try, any specific one I should use?

Comment

Deoxit D5.
        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Thanks, on order now!

Comment

SUCCESS!!!! Thank you so much Longbow and rhomanski, the deoxit worked wonderfully...took a few treatments and a bunch of working the knob back and forth but it works great now. I went ahead and gave every knob and switch a shot of it and they are all dead silent now! Now all it needs is a dead lamp replacement and she will be shinning like a diamond.

Comment

Working...
            X