Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bose recall on several older Acoustimass, Liefstyle, Companion model subwoofers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bose recall on several older Acoustimass, Liefstyle, Companion model subwoofers?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Bo...to-Fire-Hazard

Anyone happen to know what the exact failure mode is? Is it a Rifa?

Re: Bose recall on several older Acoustimass, Liefstyle, Companion model subwoofers?

no, from the description i would suspect something like bad soldering on the mains inlet.
    that's what caused the original xbox fires - they changed the mains inlet after that.

it could also be a bad arcing power switch but they are usually loaded with bromide to prevent combustion.

Comment

Re: Bose recall on several older Acoustimass, Liefstyle, Companion model subwoofers?

if it were a power switch it would have been used on other devices and there'd be more than just these? But soldering is possible, curious if anyone knew exactly what fails and what can be learned from it...

Comment

Thanks for posting this here, eccerr0r.

The people who are currently staying (temporarily) in my parents' house have a similar Bose system. Not sure if it's an Acoustimass, but it's from before 2006, IIRC (I set it up for them and noted it looked quite dated.) Won't be able to get a chance to take a look at it until at least a few months or more from now, but it's good to know. Hopefully I remember to check which one it is... and if it's one of the affected models, to open it and see what the issue might be.

Given the recall failure appears to be on units that are over 15 years old now, I don't think the issue would be a switch or a plug. More like insulation failing somewhere or perhaps another case of the conductive glue biting back at us?

Comment

Working...
        X