Inductors in parallel, technically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inductors in parallel, technically

I know that in theory, it works just like resistors so it's fine. So, in practical life, is there any problem why inductors in parallel should not work?

I'd like to do a heavy filtering curcuit, basically with all the things which are usually in transient filter in PSUs, just make it external as I have my doubts about some PSUs filtering efficiency even if there are all components which should be in there. The reason is I'd like the PSUs I am measuring to not get interfering with high-frequency noise from the network, and also them not to send noise back to my equipment (O-scope and so).

I have whole bunch of input filter coils harvested from PSUs and I'd like to re-use them, but I'd also like it capable of say 2 kW of power flowing through, so that's why I think it would be better to use some in parallel. I'll measure their actual inductance and pick up only the same ones for this task of course.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Inductors in parallel, technically

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...calculator.htm

EDIT Hmmm whilst the calculator seems to work i dont think their formula is correct - before I email them - am I right?
    Last edited by selldoor; 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I know that. I am asking if it works in reality. You can theoretically combine diodes and transistors as you want, too, but in reality, they differ a bit piece from piece. You will quite often be surprised what happenes if you combine them and relly on their theoretical overall power capability.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

One hassle with paralleling inductors, is that you get unwanted mutual coupling. The flux from one inductor couples with it's neighbor's flux and you get less inductance than expected, due to transformer action. If they are shielded cores, or mounted at right angles to each other on the PCB, it's not a big deal.
        Also I'm not sure how much current-hogging you'd get, due to unequal resistance and inductances- I think that if even one inductor saturated it would ruin the group's performance.

Comment

I plan doing several complete filter-groups in a row so hopefully they'll be able to somehow split the filtering and prevent saturating.

I'll try the 90° trick, good point

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...calculator.htm

EDIT Hmmm whilst the calculator seems to work i dont think their formula is correct - before I email them - am I right?
            There's nothing wrong with their formula.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
            Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Working...
            X