Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suitable replacement for Nichicon HM series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable replacement for Nichicon HM series?

Hi,

My Antec power supply popped very loudly several times and bit the dust big time, and took out my Gigabyte K8Ns Ultra 939 motherboard. I verified the motherboard and there is also one cap that has popped on it. The top is vented. The cap is a 1000 uF 6.3 V Nichicon HM series. I just purchased a HE series cap from Digi Key thinking it was a good replacement since it was rated for 5000 hours. I just realized that the HE series has higher ESR compared to the HM series. HE has a rated max ripple of 840, and HM 1140. The impedance is 30 mOhms for HM compared to 87 mOhms. Is the difference significant enough to casue issues in this motherboard? I.e. will the HE series cap be good enough for this?

Thanks for any help and advice

Re: Suitable replacement for Nichicon HM series?

The Nichicon HE will probably be ok for a while, e.g. to make sure the board isn't totally fried, but I would replace it with something else if you plan on actually using it again. I recommend Panasonic FM from digikey, or Nichicon HZ from Mouser. You might be able to reuse the HE though, if you plan on recapping the power supply.
    Good luck!

Comment

I'd use Panasonic FJ, Ruby MBZ, Another Nichicon HM (As long as it's newer than 2005 date code) or Sanyo WG as they are all equivilant ESR and ripple to HM. Your HM probably had a bad date code (before 2005) or was popped by the PSU.

Also, check for any Chemi-con KZG caps around the CPU socket. I've seen them vented on a few Gigabyte Skt. 939 Motherboards
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

As mildy referenced:
        Nichicon HN and HM series made from sometime in 2001 thru sometime in 2004 were defective. Those with date codes of 2005 or newer are fine.
        Date code is - letter + 2 digit year + 2 digit week of year, as so:
        H0322 - would be week 22 of year 2003.
        -
        Yes, Chemicon KZG will fail with no bloating. They don't like heat.
        [And a bad power supply can heat 'em right up.]
        -
        I also agree with c_hegge as recommended replacements.
        Adding Panasonic FL to the list.
        -
        FM is more ESR and less Ripple than HM. [Worse but not as worse as HE.]
        -
        Rubycon MCZ, or Nichicon HN are a grade better than all of the above for ESR/Ripple.
        HZ is a grade better yet but uncommon and so reliability is unknown.

Badcaps.net has Rubycon.
        https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22

Mouser sells HN and HM again. [They quit for a while after the fiasco.]

Any of the above can be found on eBay but be advised there are a lot of counterfeit Sanyos [and some counterfeit other] coming out of Hong Kong and China.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Thanks everyone. I replaced the bad cap with the HE cap and all is well now. There are no other broken parts except for the cap. That was a lucky one. So I only lost a power supply.

Comment

>>I'd use Panasonic FJ...<<
            >>Adding Panasonic FL to the list.<<

@c_hegge & PCBONEZ -
            Neither series exist in current production. Panasonic's 2/2009 production catalog doesn't show them. Digikey doesn't list either series.

Perhaps an older variety that is NLA?

@lmcancu -
            >>So I only lost a power supply.<<
            So far...

You only replaced 1 cap? By using a higher ESR and ripple rated cap (HE), you may be transferring the load onto the other caps (HM) in the circuit. If there are others in parallel with it, they have the lower resistance and higher ripple handling and will take on more than they had been handling originally.

I would seriously look at recapping that board correctly in the near future.
            Tomorrow's a good day.

Hope it holds!
            Toast

EDIT: Where was this cap located? Next to CPU?
            Last edited by Toasty; 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM.
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Wrong guess Toasty, it's all marketing.
              Panasonic's Catalog has NEVER showed either one and here's why:
              -
              FJ and FL were never released/sold -except- directly to manufacturing channels.
              - They don't go to distributors for resale.
              Unless you buy in 100's of thousands on a contract Panasonic won't sell them to you.

Any you find for sale are some factory's overstock or some company that decided to make a little extra $ on the side being a distributor without Panasonic's approval.

Data sheets are only available as Engineering Draft documents which are 20-30 pages long and are never released to the public.

I have the one for FJ but it exceeds the upload size limit here at BCN.
              I've found the specs for a few random FL in schematics and ads and so far they've matched FJ in so far as Ripple and ESR.
              [I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe Endurance Lifetime or Leakage. ??]

FJ and FL both still show up in new Dells with Intel/Foxconn boards so I doubt they are out of production.
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-09-2009, 03:03 PM.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

And for the record. A ball-park or thumb-rule or whatever.

Panny FJ in 10mm are an exact match to MBZ for Ripple and ESR.
                Panny FJ in 8mm are an exact match to MBZ for Ripple but the ESR is lower [better] and is about 1/2 way between MBZ and MCZ.
                ~ That assumes the same can size of course...

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Good info. Thank you for the clarification.

I too have the FJ datasheet, but lacking suppliers other than eBay's egekecu, PCMCS, and leemoom611, there's no reliable source, is there?. Certainly not one with reliable spec information. The one's I've seen for sale are missing either Z or ripple info. (or both)

A statement to use such components, I think, is misleading/misguided here. At least without validation of a source and a "I've used them and they're great" statement.

Purchasing them from reputable distributors such as Digikey, Mouser, RS, Farnell, Newark, et al. gives the customer a more secure feeling about the quality. They handle enough of them and have their info sources (industrial as well as the other distributors) that alert to component problems sooner than we would hear about. As you said, Mouser dropped the HN & HM lines when the cap problems arose.
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

I did a quick look about and found info about this board and the caps on a review site:

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/mainbo...9-nforce3.html

"The 6-phase switching voltage regulator of the processor incorporates six 3300 uF capacitors and seven 1000 uF capacitors. The board also contains voltage regulators for AGP bus (six 1000 uF capacitors) and for memory (six 1000 uF capacitors)."

With this info, I stand by my earlier comments about recapping the board properly.

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toast! I was following etnietering's advice to use it to figure out if anything else went on the board. Right now I haven't put it in service yet and plan to keep this board as backup/spare, as this was my sister-in-law's board and she decided to upgrade after it went. I have the exact same board for my system. I plan to order the right parts from Mouser (Nichicon HM series). Note, that both the northbridge fan and the vga cooler fan went as well. I'm not sure if the fans went because of the power supply or the fans went first and caused the power supply to go. Also, I only replaced the one cap because it was the only one that was vented. The others looked fine and I'm leaning towards the power supply going bad and taking out the cap rather then the other way around since I had the same power supply (Antec truepower 380) go on my identical system. Note, I'm sure this cap was part of the AGP circuit since there was no display and it seemed like the other components were working well. And it kinda makes sense that the 12v fans were taken out. The VGA card seems fine and the display worked when I tried it. Thanks again.

Comment

Antec Truepower -> Motherboard Killer!
                        Loaded with Fuhjyyu capacitors!

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

FJ appears to have been replaced by FJS and FL over the last 3 years. IMHO, FJ was more durable than both FJS/FL, of which I've seen numerous slightly bulging examples, but none vented. There are pics in these forums showing vented FLs, so they're probably like KZG - won't tolerate heat and high ripple-current simultaneously. No FJ failure has been reported yet.

Comment

If I've seen any, I've only seen bad FL in Dell Roaster ovens [USFF and SFF cases] but those -BURN UP- every kind of cap, even Rubycon.
                            -
                            Bad PSU's will also blow any kind of mobo cap so when you see a cap you wouldn't expect to blow you need to investigate further and find out what the PSU was.
                            -
                            Me too, I don't remember ever seeing a bad FJ.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

I have used Nichicon HE capacitors on motherboards without any issues.
                              My gaming PC:
                              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

HE has it's applications but HE are rated way below HM and aren't suitable as replacements for HM.
                                - Unless the HM were over-kill in the first place, which does happen.

On average HE is rated for around 2/3 the Ripple of HM and the ESR is 3 to 4 times higher.

I certainly would not use HE in a VRM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I agree, HE are not good for VRM. I often use them in PSUs, though.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I have used all Nichicon HE series capacitors on the CPU VRM area of my old VIA P4PA-UL motherboard, and for a couple of months now it's been running perfectly stable with no issues.

I agree Nichicon HE isn't the best for the CPU VRM, but I used them in one and it's so far working fine for me.
                                    My gaming PC:
                                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Do you remember what the specs were for the original capacitors that you replaced? i.e. ESR and ripple ratings?

Comment

I just saw that Toasty asked where the bad cap was. The cap is near the northbridge and the battery. See image below.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X