Onkyo tx-nr509 receiver no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo tx-nr509 receiver no power

Hello, I recently started troubleshooting my onkyo tx-nr509 receiver that refuses to turn on.

I suspect the issue is the power supply, but all of the capacitors appear to be fine. The output I measured does not match the specifications on the board, however. The +12VD_ST and +10VS pins on the output both measure around +15v referenced to the GNDDG pin. Fuse is fine, primary side of transformer is receiving 115v ac, output of secondary is about 12.3v ac.

The output voltage has no ripple, but drops significantly when i add a resistor across the output to about 5v with a 1k resistor. The output of the secondary also drops significantly.

Since the capacitors look fine, I suspect the issue lies in the transformer or rectification diodes. Any ideas on what my issue could be? Am I on the right track? What would be my options for a replacement transformer?

Thanks!

Re: Onkyo tx-nr509 receiver no power

Originally posted by Wiil View Post
    Hello, I recently started troubleshooting my onkyo tx-nr509 receiver that refuses to turn on.

I suspect the issue is the power supply, but all of the capacitors appear to be fine. The output I measured does not match the specifications on the board, however. The +12VD_ST and +10VS pins on the output both measure around +15v referenced to the GNDDG pin. Fuse is fine, primary side of transformer is receiving 115v ac, output of secondary is about 12.3v ac.

The output voltage has no ripple, but drops significantly when i add a resistor across the output to about 5v with a 1k resistor. The output of the secondary also drops significantly.

Since the capacitors look fine, I suspect the issue lies in the transformer or rectification diodes. Any ideas on what my issue could be? Am I on the right track? What would be my options for a replacement transformer?

Thanks!
    Hi.

Please check the main relay (common issue) I believe, the relay's impedance should be around 300-330 Ohm.If it's more than this, replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by dobrykamil View Post
      Hi.

Please check the main relay (common issue) I believe, the relay's impedance should be around 300-330 Ohm.If it's more than this, replace it.
      The relay appears to be bad, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dobrykamil View Post
        Hi.

Hey, I replaced the main relay and now the unit clicks a few times when I plug it in, but there is no response to the power button and no display.

Any ideas what my issue is?

Comment

Check the transformer primary winding for open condition. There may be a small fuse in the winding that went open.

Comment

I had similar issues with other Onkyo receivers, where the ribbon cable(that comes from the front board) wasn't inserted all the way, into the HDMI board, or it was cut to thin(width is less) and it was inserted offset, into the connector. Pins in the connector were not aligned, with the ribbon pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiil View Post
              Hey, I replaced the main relay and now the unit clicks a few times when I plug it in, but there is no response to the power button and no display.

Any ideas what my issue is?
              Hello Wiil, have you solved your issue? I have similar with my HT-R990 where relay is clicking continuously and display is switching on and off repeatably.

Comment

Originally posted by marqo View Post
                Hello Wiil, have you solved your issue? I have similar with my HT-R990 where relay is clicking continuously and display is switching on and off repeatably.
                Some of those onkyos behave like that when the back plate is removed. It is used to distribute ground through the boards and without it they just do not want to start.

Comment

Working...
                X