Asus U47A Laptop - Power Supply Shorts Out + Smoking Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus U47A Laptop - Power Supply Shorts Out + Smoking Component

Got a laptop in with an odd power issue. When the power supply is plugged in the green indicator light on the power supply goes out. Tried a new power supply which does the same thing. Removed the motherboard to check for power jack or component damage and found nothing, but when I plugged the power in I found little wisps of smoke coming from one of the components. Tested the resistance on the component which read 1.1 Ohms one way and .7 Ohms reversed. Any ideas?

Higher Quality Image, Component Circled in Red
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PohTayToez; 11-25-2014, 02:59 PM.

Re: Asus U47A Laptop - Power Supply Shorts Out + Smoking Component

it just capacitor on main rail. u can remove it and it should work.
    or u can replace it with same size by any capacitance. its capacity is not important
    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 11-25-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Looks like a shorted capacitor - old dell 505s used to have a similar problem removing it seemed to get them working. If you cant find the value try something a similar physical size
      and capable of standing the voltage on the pads
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

When I remove it do I connect the two pads with solder or leave them disconnected?

Comment

Leave it disconnected. or replace with another capacitor.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

It is not critical. It's best to replace it with a capacitor of the same size taken from a similar location on a scrap board, but it will work without that capacitor installed. Shorted ceramic capacitors are way more common than you would think, especially if the laptop has been used in an area with high humidity.

DO NOT bridge the connections with solder - you've got a direct short across the power adapter, you're trying to remove the short, not make it worse.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance :P

Wanted to report that the laptop is in good working order now, thank you very much everyone for you help.

Comment

Hello, I had the same issue with the Asus Q400A. I tried 2 different PS and soon I plugged them to the laptop they would short out. Next I checked the voltage on 1 positive point and 4 ground points and it was reading zero also bad capacitor and it was reading zero. Removed the badcap and worked so far no issue. Thank You to everything who helped and kept the earth green from the waste. I have one question: does anyone know how to make the backlight work on the keyboard on Asus Q400A. I tried FN4 and F3 and F4 keys combination and it didn't work. Do I need to install some utility software for it?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by abshah847 View Post
                  Hello, I had the same issue with the Asus Q400A. I tried 2 different PS and soon I plugged them to the laptop they would short out. Next I checked the voltage on 1 positive point and 4 ground points and it was reading zero also bad capacitor and it was reading zero. Removed the badcap and worked so far no issue. Thank You to everything who helped and kept the earth green from the waste. I have one question: does anyone know how to make the backlight work on the keyboard on Asus Q400A. I tried FN4 and F3 and F4 keys combination and it didn't work. Do I need to install some utility software for it?
                  Thanks
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...43&postcount=5
                  4.4. Asus

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                  X