Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell 9200 PVR

Hi everyone
    Bell just swapped out my old PVR receivers with 2 new ones and I find myself with 2 500G hard drives that I figure would be great in my raid array, but I can't get my computer to see the drive, read a very brief article about ATA3 security or something, any ideas on how to unlock the drives? they are plain old seagate sata drives, no jumpers. I may have posted this in the wrong area, but maybe not
    cheers
    Dave

Re: Bell 9200 PVR

Have you re-partitioned them and formatted?

Comment

They are probably formatted with some special filesystem. I remember reading something about copyright regarding this - but I'm not sure if that was just a bogus response from a PVR company (Humax.)
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Do the drives spin up in your computer? Some drives require a spin-up command.

One thing I harp on constantly is the quality of help we give will depend on the quality of information we receive. "plain old seagate sata drives" is hardly a detailed description.

Also, for what it is worth, I have never seen a SATA drive without a jumper block. I HAVE seen some where no jumper options were listed on the label.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well, just because they don't show up in My Computer doesn't mean that they aren't being recognized. If it's a strange filesystem, you have to Initialize them then Format them before they are usable. Right click on My Computer ("Computer" in Vista/7"), click Manage, then go to Disk Management on the left side, then see if any disks need to be initialized

hope that helps
          -shovenose

Comment

Hi
            Sorry, plain old seagate ST3500830SCE, jumper block but no jumpers installed, it does spin up but not seen in any management consoles or anything. I have some really rare movies on them in mpeg2 format i was hoping to salvage before wiping them or partioning.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
              Also, for what it is worth, I have never seen a SATA drive without a jumper block.
              There you go..

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 series
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                There you go..

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 series
                That's a twofer. I'd never seen a SATA drive with a molex power connector, either.

Technically, I still haven't. Many things can be done with Photoshop.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by uberplasma View Post
                  Hi
                  Sorry, plain old seagate ST3500830SCE, jumper block but no jumpers installed, it does spin up but not seen in any management consoles or anything. I have some really rare movies on them in mpeg2 format i was hoping to salvage before wiping them or partioning.
                  If the bios recognizes them, but Windows doesn't, the posts suggesting they have a file system Windows doesn't recognize would be correct. Try a real operating system like Linux.

PlainBill

Comment

That's a twofer. I'd never seen a SATA drive with a molex power connector, either.
                    All the early ones had it.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      All the early ones had it.
                      What can I say? I'm in no rush to adopt new technology until I need it.

PlainBill

Comment

This was ages ago so I don't remember all the details but I have run into drives that are locked by way of requiring an encrypted code from the BIOS [or system firmware] before they would start.
                        I think all modern drives have the feature/capability it's just rarely used.
                        Bell may have used it to keep their software from being stolen/hacked.
                        In the case of the drives I had [formerly X-Box drives] there was a hack on the web to turn that feature off.
                        Once it's off it will work in a normal PC without issues but you'll probably have to [full] wipe it first to get rid of non-standard partition tables and MBR.
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM.
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

I'm in no rush to adopt new technology until I need it.
                          Same for most stuff.

I finally got some SATA drives about 5 months ago. Two of them are Hitachi Deskstar HD728040PLA320 SATA 40GB drives made in 2005 with molex power connectors.

I can't complain because I got them for $1 each and they make good external drives for backing important data. I think of them as large USB sticks!

I also got several 512MB DDR2 sticks and 7 other 40GB SATA for $1 each from the same seller.

They all work fine so far and I ran all the drives and memory sticks through various burn in programs.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Actually, most SATA drives don't actually need the 3.3v line - users of cheap power supplies should know, as there are molex -> SATA power adaptors and there's no orange wire on them, yet the drives work just fine.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                            X