Need Suggestions - Dell Dimension 9200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Suggestions - Dell Dimension 9200

My Dimension has always been on a UPC battery backup. For the past couple of months the fan on the power supply has been making noises and then going away so I would clean it out with air and then it would be fine. We went away on a trip and came back and power was lost to the entire house but the computer was still running but it was froze at the login screen.
    I rebooted it and the USB ports would work during post but would not work inside of Windows 7 and it would power itself off after about 2 minutes. I removed all of the PCI cards and it would stay running a bit longer then power itself off.

I ordered a new power supply and the USB ports now work inside of the OS but it still powers itself off. So I started looking at the board and found 1 capicator that was leaking and the other next to it was buldging at the top. Before I go and order 2 new caps does anyone think I can just replace these 2 caps and it will solve the problem or could it be other caps or something else and not be worth my time and be better off just buying a new system as this computer is getting older. I have attached pictures to reference. Thank You

Re: Need Suggestions - Dell Dimension 9200

Any comments at all?

Comment

Yes, some caps got killed [damaged] by heat and/or a failing PSU.
      You may also have bad caps in the old PSU and the fan was obviously on it's way out.
      Power cycle was probably just enough to push the marginal PSU 'over the top'.

I also see what looks to be Chemicon KZG series in the back ground.
      Those will fail without bloating and they REALLY don't 'like' heat.

Replace the bloated ones and ALL the KZG and you should be fine.
      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

In addition to PCBONEZ's suggestions, I would advise you to also replace the rest of the Rubycon MCZ that are next to the north bridge heatsink. The small 6.3v 220uF Rubycon ZA next to the two bloated Rubycon MCZs also seems a bit bloated (although it may also be the picture).
        Normally, Rubycon are very reliable capacitors but it seems that this computer was either running too hot or ripple from bad caps in the old PSU killed them.
        I think it's worth repairing this computer. It's not *that* old.
        How did this thread not get noticed before ? Strange...
        Last edited by momaka; 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Is it just me or do those MCZs look a bit short for 10X20mm?

Comment

Yes, they look either too short for 20mm of too fat for 10mm.
            A custom ordered cap in a Dell wouldn't surprise me much though.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

So I had a friend of mine replace the 2 caps and so far the computer has been running great for 2 days now. Before it would just power itself off after 2-3 minutes so hopefully it was only these 2 caps, but I guess only time will tell now. Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                Yes, they look either too short for 20mm of too fat for 10mm.
                A custom ordered cap in a Dell wouldn't surprise me much though.
                Dell spending more money than the bare minimum surprises me, custom run is usually 15% more expensive. They probably originally used the Nichicon UHN0J222MPD3 6.3v 2200uF 10X16mm then wanted to switch to MCZ. How old are these machines? Wonder if it was the tail end of the HN issues that prompted the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by l8nighter View Post
                  So I had a friend of mine replace the 2 caps and so far the computer has been running great for 2 days now. Before it would just power itself off after 2-3 minutes so hopefully it was only these 2 caps, but I guess only time will tell now. Thanks everyone
                  What caps did he use? I'm curious if there is room to use a 10X20mm 6.3v 2200uF in there.

Comment

Originally posted by TCKTMB View Post
                    Dell spending more money than the bare minimum surprises me, custom run is usually 15% more expensive.
                    Dell doesn't manufacture motherboards.
                    They OEM their boards from Intel who sometimes outsources to Foxconn.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Dell doesn't manufacture motherboards.
                      They OEM their boards from Intel who sometimes outsources to Foxconn.
                      Yeah but the extra cost is passed to Dell and they most likely have a say in what components are used, and more importantly what they are willing to pay per board.

Comment

Contracts like that rarely specify individual components.
                        Intel HUGE, Dell medium.

It's more likely Dell came up with a screwy design and Intel was forced to go custom to get it built.

Presumably using a poly there wasn't an option due to some uF requirement.
                        If MCZ had to be custom to get ESR low enough then so would an HN.
                        Nichicon doesn't often do custom caps though.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Contracts like that rarely specify individual components.
                          Intel HUGE, Dell medium.

It's more likely Dell came up with a screwy design and Intel was forced to go custom to get it built.

Presumably using a poly there wasn't an option due to some uF requirement.
                          If MCZ had to be custom to get ESR low enough then so would an HN.
                          Nichicon doesn't often do custom caps though.
                          6.3v 2200uF HNs come in either 10X16mm UHN0J222MPD3 or 10X20mm UHN0J222MPD standard. Thats why I was guessing they designed it with those HNs in mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X