Chemi-Con KY to replace OST RLS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemi-Con KY to replace OST RLS?

Still getting the hang of finding good replacements when the spec sheets don't include all specs.

Would a Chemi-Con KY series be a good replacement for an OST RLS series?

1,000uf 10v.

If not, does anyone have any better recommendations?

Re: Chemi-Con KY to replace OST RLS?

The ideal replacment for RLS is Chemi-Con KZE, Rubycon ZL or Nichicon HD. KY has a higher ESR.

Btw, KZE is NOT affected by the problem that plagues KZG and KZJ.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      The ideal replacment for RLS is Chemi-Con KZE, Rubycon ZL or Nichicon HD. KY has a higher ESR.

Btw, KZE is NOT affected by the problem that plagues KZG and KZJ.
      Yes, assuming the same can size that is correct.
      Also Sanyo/Suncon WX, Illinois Capacitor KXM, and NIC Components NRSG.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

It looks like those are all 10x12.5 or bigger? The original here is 8x12.5. Thoughts?

Comment

I did just notice that I originally said 10v, but these are indeed 1000uf/6.3v. :S

Comment

Is it on a motherboard or a PSU? If it's on a motherboard, these will work just fine.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Motherboard from a Gateway E-2610D, ECS motherboard 945GT-GB V:1.1. Just a few are bad around the north/south bridge, but 14 of this same cap on board and will probably replace just the 14 of this particular cap. The rest all look fine and are other make - e.g. Ruby MBZ, etc.

I'm probably going to be doing a LOT of these boards in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
                It looks like those are all 10x12.5 or bigger? The original here is 8x12.5. Thoughts?
                Yes.
                Brush up on reading data sheets.
                The 10 Volt 8mm 1000uF RLS [should be] 16mm or 20mm long.
                Also ZL, KZE, KXM, WX, HD, and NRSG [in other words every series suggested] all have a 1000uF 10v 8x20mm.

If the height is a problem that's another story but it shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

~~~

That said, I falsely assumed c_hegge checked the RLS data sheet before posting.

The 8x16mm 1000uF 10v is only .090 ohms ESR and 818 mA for Ripple.
                The 8x20mm 1000uF 10v is only .067 ohms ESR and 1023 mA for Ripple.
                [If it's actually 12.5mm long as you said then it's a custom size and the specs will be worse in a smaller can.]
                -
                KY - 6.3v 8x15mm - .087 ohms ESR and 840 mA for Ripple
                KY - 10v 8x20mm - .069 ohms ESR and 1050 mA for Ripple.
                -
                In this size anyway KY is about as close to an exact match as you can get.
                The caps mentioned earlier would be a reasonable upgrade though.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1647-ND
                  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1486-ND
                  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1467-ND

Since you need many....
                  The 10v KZE would be my choice because it's an upgrade and only $0.255 each over 10 pieces.
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 05-02-2011, 04:07 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I'm probably leaning towards the KY's - it'd be around $65 for qty. 500 at Digikey for these, which seems decent, and also because the only 1000uf/6.3v KZE's that I see there are 10x12.5, unless I'm missing them.

I'd prefer purchase from Digikey if at all possible.

Comment

No, I didn't check the datasheets. I NEVER do. I just assummed that RLS = HD = ZL = KZE = WX, since those are about the highest ESR series I usually see on motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
                        I'm probably leaning towards the KY's - it'd be around $65 for qty. 500 at Digikey for these, which seems decent, and also because the only 1000uf/6.3v KZE's that I see there are 10x12.5, unless I'm missing them.

I'd prefer purchase from Digikey if at all possible.
                        See links above.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Went with the 10v KZE's.

I know they're compatible, but didn't think to search UP a voltage. I guess I was thinking that since the 6.3's were too big (10mm vs. 8mm), that a bigger voltage wouldn't be any smaller in size.

Comment

Yup.
                            Sometimes the sizes they choose to make don't make much sense.
                            Not even sure why they still make both 6.3v and 10v when a 10v will work for both.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Replaced 60 caps between 4 boards and all are working perfectly -- thank you for your help pcbonez!!!

Comment

You're welcome & Congrats!

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X