Raidmax RX-500S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raidmax RX-500S

Ahh, good ol' raidmax. You can always rely on them for a good, solid, honest unit on the cheap. *cough*

Well, at any rate, they can provide some entertainment when the fireworks on the 4th of July just aren't cutting it. Sure, some of their Andyson units are ok performers, if they weren't overrated and have corners cut. Their sunpro units are, of coarse, the fireworks.

(see: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=194)

Hmm. That part number, and that UL number. Well, lets open it up to see another typical gutless, small transformer, low value caps, 4 diode rectifier sunpro.

Ahh, a 120mm fan. Doesn't matter as it runs full blast all the time, right? No, actually, it is indeed temperature controlled and is actually very quiet. Questionable Te Bao Metallic Plastic co. brand fan though.

Here are the cables. 1 20+4pin motherboard connector, 1 4pin cpu connector, 1 6pin pci-e connector, 2x sata connectors, 4x molex connectors, 2x floppy connectors. Now, this is strange. These cables, there is something seriously wrong with them. They seem much more stiff than what sunpro usually uses. Ahh, now I see what the problem is. They used all this 18 gauge wiring. And look, the nerve! 16ga wires on the 20+4! How inconsiderate. Don't they know thick wires block air flow? The 3.3v sense wire is there as usual, but whats with this extra wire on one of the 5v wire? What, you mean there is a sunpro unit that actually has 5v sense? O_o.

NOW, before you view this photo, take into consideration I have already started work on this power supply. Recapping is not completely done as I need to get more stock. I'll point out the work I've done along the way.

Yes indeed, it's a sunpro safety series (*ah hem*, glass fuse). The input filter originally had a single .1uf X cap and that coil. Not too bad, but I replaced the .1uf with a .33uf and added another .33uf. The 6A, 600v bridge rectifier was there already. Two input caps are 680uf, 200v HEC brand. There is also no MOV's (for extra safety) Primary switchers are 2 D209L's from Jilin Sino Microelectronics. Transformer is a real ERL-35 size. PWM/protections chip is a AT2005B.

As you can see the secondary caps are in the process of being replaced. Originally had (all blown) GL and JEE caps. Now a word about the secondary silicon. The label promised 28A on the 3.3v. The silicon on the 3.3v is a 30A, 45v schottky. The label promised 38A on the 5v. The silicon on the 5v is a 20A, 45v schottky. Hmm. The label also promises 22A on the 12v rail, and the silicon on the 12v rail is two 16A, 200v ultrafast diodes. Wow. This power supply is full of surprises! Thick wiring, rudimentary input filter, bridge rectifier, good sized transformer, temp controlled fan, and overspec'd silicon for the 12v rail? If sunpro did this more often, I would be a bit more impressed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 370forlife; 09-07-2010, 07:31 PM.

Re: Raidmax RX-500S

WOW! Never thought I'd see a good sun pro.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i have that psu. its the best raidmax ive ever had quiet, runs without a hitch

Comment

It seem to be good for 300W.
        from HardwareSecret's maximum output current calculation theory,
        3.3V used 30A (2x15A) diode => 15/0.7 => 22A (72W) max.
        5V used 20A (2x10A) diode => 10/0.7 => 15A (75W) max.
        12V used 16A (2x8A) diode => 8/0.7 => 12A (144W) max.
        ~290W, plus 5VSB (2A => 10W) = ~300W total.
        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
        | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Not bad for a SunPro. Definitely one of the best I've seen from them so far.

How's the solder on the back side look, though? I'm guessing it's still very unimpressive. Just hope it's not like the cheap KY-480ATX - those have the wrong spacing on the primary side and are horrible in general.
          The AT2005B PWM controller suggests this is the same platform as their low-end units, so no OCP and OPP (and maybe even UVP and OVP).
          What about 5vsb - 2-transistor design?

At least the wiring is good, though. Very good actually. If that fan is temp controlled, I wouldn't be worried about it either. Heatsinks are of decent size.
          Maybe it won't do 500W, but 350W should be possible.
          Last edited by momaka; 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Double post, sorry.
            (maybe it's because it's post 666 ... evil )
            Last edited by momaka; 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

- no MOV's (for extra safety)
              - The label promised 38A on the 5v. The silicon on the 5v is a 20A,
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

^^

Right, its still far from a "good" power supply. It has UVP, OVP, and SCP. Soldering is better than expected. No big gobs or done-by-hand joints. No cold joints, either.

It seem to be good for 300W.
                from HardwareSecret's maximum output current calculation theory,
                3.3V used 30A (2x15A) diode => 15/0.7 => 22A (72W) max.
                5V used 20A (2x10A) diode => 10/0.7 => 15A (75W) max.
                12V used 16A (2x8A) diode => 8/0.7 => 12A (144W) max.
                ~290W, plus 5VSB (2A => 10W) = ~300W total.
                It uses two 16A rectifiers in parallel on the 12v. Also, because this is a half bridge design you don't have to worry about duty cycle.

So it could in theory do 384W on the 12v, 100W on the 5v, 99W on the 3.3v for a grand total of 593W with the 5vsb in there as well. Interesting as sunpro's part number suggests it is a 600W. Highly unlikely as something else will give long before that. Clubedohardware.com.br has tested a number of these that were called "wireless gamer, etc..." and most die around 440W.

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/ar...0-560-W/1697/8

They max out at around 400W before the ripple goes out of spec.
                Last edited by 370forlife; 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

The transformer is erl-35, so I don't think it can do more than 400W for a long time..

Comment

and-mine just exploded.
                    (sam exact psu)

Comment

Is it worth it to risk the home and life of your family just to save a couple of bucks on a power supply? When I order PSU's for clients, I don't even offer them the option of a cheap PSU.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

So we can establish then that this is still has underrated silicon on the 5V and 3.3V?

Comment

Working...
                        X