KB9028 Programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KB9028 Programming

The mb under repair is FAROE_Dis_X32_MB-MV 18742-1(HP). It came completely dead. Found 19V is not passing thru 1st dc-in mosfet. After diagnosis, replaced BQ24781 with BQ24780S and it solved that part of the problem. Next found +3V LDO is shorted, so removed the +3V PWM but still shorted. Removed KBC9028Q-c and short is gone. I've soldered new SY8286BRAC and KB9028Q-C(both new). DC jack is glowing now but mb doesnt turns on as kbc needs programming.

I've SVOD1 which doesnt list kb9028 as an option. Still tried selecting kb9022 but doesnt work. The support has ended from SVOD-so cant download new config file. Schematic is perhaps not avlbl for this mb. I've RT809F which i beleive is also not capable of programming 9028 kbc(it can program kb9012/22).

So can anybody give some idea how to program kb9028?? Please share config file for this mb. If anyone of sure of any other programmer which is capable of programming kb9028-i can buy a new one.

Please suggest way forward.

Re: KB9028 Programming

Hi. Personally have not worked with these components.

Are they not just SPI interfaced?

See here to see if it is possible with your programmer:

https://www.alisaler.com/rt809f-prog...free-download/

Do post your updates.

Comment

Vertyanov programmer lists it as this:
      KB_pins=32 LEFT DOWN 1MM KSO3=15 KSI4=28 KSI7=31 KSI6=30 KSI5=27 KB9028Q

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
        The mb under repair is FAROE_Dis_X32_MB-MV 18742-1(HP). It came completely dead. Found 19V is not passing thru 1st dc-in mosfet. After diagnosis, replaced BQ24781 with BQ24780S and it solved that part of the problem. Next found +3V LDO is shorted, so removed the +3V PWM but still shorted. Removed KBC9028Q-c and short is gone. I've soldered new SY8286BRAC and KB9028Q-C(both new). DC jack is glowing now but mb doesnt turns on as kbc needs programming.

I've SVOD1 which doesnt list kb9028 as an option. Still tried selecting kb9022 but doesnt work. The support has ended from SVOD-so cant download new config file. Schematic is perhaps not avlbl for this mb. I've RT809F which i beleive is also not capable of programming 9028 kbc(it can program kb9012/22).

So can anybody give some idea how to program kb9028?? Please share config file for this mb. If anyone of sure of any other programmer which is capable of programming kb9028-i can buy a new one.

Please suggest way forward.
        basically i have the same problem with the same motherboard, i didn't have ldo 3v, replaced pu453 SY8286BRAC not solved,
        replaced the kb9028q and returned the 3V and 5V ldo, power button 3V, but the board does not react, kb9028q not programmed,

i used a ch341a and i used points
        KSO3 KSI4 KSI7 KSI6 KSI5 from diagram kb9012q but I can't get it to write in kb9028q, I also have a tl866cs and ezp 2019 but they don't solve, for now I have no solutions, if you have any news let me know

Comment

Question:
          if a kb9012q arrives and we write correct and c could it solve?

Comment

RT809F claims to support KB9028. I haven't tried.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Does anyone have the pinout for the KB9028 ? Datasheet ?

Have the KB9012 datasheet now and appears to be normal SPI interface. What is the special case for the KB9028Q that cannot be programmed with a similar tool ?

@reset1986 - your last post references the KB9012q which is not the same as the kb9028q. I thought I saw some ads on ebay that mention pre-programmed controllers for sale.

If all of these devices are SPI interface, just use Total-Phase SPI bus analyzer to dump the transaction and then all secrets will be revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                Does anyone have the pinout for the KB9028 ? Datasheet ?

Have the KB9012 datasheet now and appears to be normal SPI interface. What is the special case for the KB9028Q that cannot be programmed with a similar tool ?

@reset1986 - your last post references the KB9012q which is not the same as the kb9028q. I thought I saw some ads on ebay that mention pre-programmed controllers for sale.

If all of these devices are SPI interface, just use Total-Phase SPI bus analyzer to dump the transaction and then all secrets will be revealed.
                i had read kb9028q and kb9012q have their own pinout, i couldn't find kb9028q datasheet

Comment

In SVOD3, you can create your own configuration file for the motherboard. If you have access to the EC pins, then you just meter it out to the SVOD (see attached pic). You just need to work out ribbon cable pitch, which is pin 1, if it's a drawer type connector whether it's top or bottom connection etc. I create my own usually as the ones in the online database frequently don't work.

Maybe update your SVOD? They have SVOD4 out now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

@reformatt4, if you create your own pin mapping, does the vanilla s/w function to perform the required r/w/e tasks ?

What is required to r/w/e the KB9028q in terms of hardware ?

The svod4 + which cable set ?

If known, which logic board makes use of the KB9028q ? Would like to source the proper tool and a logic board to experiment with.

Is the svod4 the lowest cost solution for the KB9028q programming ?

Comment

The SVOD comes with a breakout adaptor with various flip type ZIF connectors for each connector pitch. They also supply an assortment of ribbon cables of varying pinouts and pitchs. You select which one to use based on the ZIF connector on the motherboard you want to program, create the mapping and connect. Note there is a micro USB on the breakout board that you use to connect to the board via USB cable. This serves no function other than to connect the grounds together.

Initial connect is a pin check (this is intended with board unpowered as it can damage the internal FET's of the programmer), check ground, then you plug in the power to the board. If the +3V for the EC is active, you then press Read ID. If successfully connected, you get the ID etc and you can then Read, Write, Erase etc.

Did a search with FlexBV and got a couple of hits on Acers for KB9028Q

Acer Swift 1 SF112-32
                      Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N

There might be a few cheaper alternatives, but I believe the SVOD is the most versatile. The software programming interface is pretty intuitive...it needs to be as you get almost zero support from these guys on the forum. You can buy an adaptor to program the EC's in a socket but it's quite expensive (140 euros). The SVOD comes with the ZIF adaptor and the ribbons for 178 euros.

https://shop.svod-project.com/index....&product_id=54

Comment

Awesome! Thanks so much for the summary. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. @khaahk, the pinout given by you is correct. I tried my level best but couldnt program ec with SVOD1 with custom made config file as provided by @khaahk. However, i got the job done with RT8209F by manually soldering the pins on kbd connector and khaahk's input is verified ok.

@reset1986, KB9012/22 cant be replaced for kb9028. I already tried kb9022 on this very mb and it creates problem. KB9028 datasheet i couldnt find anywhere. I referred to Lenovo 330S schematic for basic understanding of KB9028.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. @khaahk, the pinout given by you is correct. I tried my level best but couldnt program ec with SVOD1 with custom made config file as provided by @khaahk. However, i got the job done with RT8209F by manually soldering the pins on kbd connector and khaahk's input is verified ok.

@reset1986, KB9012/22 cant be replaced for kb9028. I already tried kb9022 on this very mb and it creates problem. KB9028 datasheet i couldnt find anywhere. I referred to Lenovo 330S schematic for basic understanding of KB9028.

ok, I found a vendor who programs me directly kb9028q, I made a request in the forum to have a file for this motherboard,

in the end have you solved?

Comment

@mcplslg123, after you wired it up, did you program this component as the KB9028q or some other personality?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                @mcplslg123, after you wired it up, did you program this component as the KB9028q or some other personality?
                                as KB9028. RT8209F has this in list.

Comment

Originally posted by reset1986 View Post
                                  ok, I found a vendor who programs me directly kb9028q, I made a request in the forum to have a file for this motherboard,

in the end have you solved?
                                  Yes, I got display

Comment

Yes, I got display
                                    perfect👍

Comment

Yes, I got display
                                      excuse me one last question, when you replaced the new kb9028q the charger led lights up white orange or stays off?

mine stays off does not light up even if I have that ldo voltages

Comment

dc jack led glows orange without even programming but mb dont turn on . You need to program kbc. Are you sure u have +3V LDO on pin17 of SY8286BRAC(AWV)?? If yes, then post a clear picture of KBC9028 with surrounding components. may be some resistor is knocked off while soldering the kbc or kbc is not properly soldered and/or kbc is defective. You have +3V_EC at pin 96 of KBC?? Be very careful while measuring pin17 of sy8286brac. better not to measure on the pin directly.
                                        Last edited by mcplslg123; 02-14-2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X