Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epic P4 Overclock

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    Um... it gibberished the screen. I know it's not the PSU (Antec 650W)
    I didn't think you had any PSU problem. I remembered that occurring when I added a PCI video card and had 2 HDDs on a tiny Gateway PIII Celeron 1.0 Ghz with what looks like a PSU just barely bigger than my hand lol.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Gateway those little PSUs were silly...
      had an HP Celeron 300MHz at some point it had one of those...

Comment

I had one of those Gateways. It had a Newton Power 200W power supply with all Japanese caps. At least it isn't as weird as the power supply in my Compaq. It functions like an ATX power supply, but it uses three 6-pin power connectors instead of a single 20-pin connector. Also, its +12V rail is only rated for 2.1A.

Comment

Welp, it was smaller! I think it was 90W or around there lol.

It was so bad I had to remove the other HDD.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Lol there are two of those 90-watters sitting on the PSU shelf at work.
            But the one in HP was 100w. And when the computer stopped working I realized why...bad cap in PSU but instead of fixing it I junked the computer (just took RAM, CD, and HDD out)

Comment

I still have good DDR400 512mb and 1gb if you need it for this. If you want I will test 3gb (2x1GB and 2x512MB sticks in Dual channel) and see how high they will overclock but it will be on a good board so I cant say you will get the same on your board.

Comment

I ordered another ram module for mine off ebay, identical to the one in there right now that was bringing me such good luck.
                So I don't think I will need those. But thanks for the offer and I will let you know if I do indeed need it.
                2GB should be plenty of this PC I think, 3GB is too expensive

Comment

Get a rich family member to buy you a new PC. You need it for school or something...right? A nice four core and 8 gigs of ram would make you happy! My foot warmer used to be and over clocked Cyrix based PC. It lasted most of the winter then it burnt out.
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                    Get a rich family member to buy you a new PC. You need it for school or something...right? A nice four core and 8 gigs of ram would make you happy! My foot warmer used to be and over clocked Cyrix based PC. It lasted most of the winter then it burnt out.
                    Hehehe...
                    I don't need more computers

Comment

Core 2's OC well too..

For example my ex-main PC

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=600052

1.8GHz @ 3GHz ... and that wasn't even the maximum I could reach stable.
                      I chose 3GHz because of the standard FSB of ~333MHz (1333MHz Quadpumped), so my RAM wouldn't run over- or underclocked. Disregarding the RAM, I was able to reach ~3.4GHz (382MHz FSB * 9), but my RAM either ran at less than DDR2-800 speeds (being a noticeable bottleneck) or way over that (almost DDR2-1000 level, which I wasn't able to get 100% stable).

So yeah.. the smallest model Core 2 Duo you were able to get at the time running at close to double its rated speed.. I certainly won't complain about that lol

edit: oh and yeah.. to not be completely off-topic, back in the late socket 478 days I overclocked a Celeron D 2.8GHz to slightly over 4GHz just for fun. Obviously wasn't stable but it was still cool to see that number
                      Last edited by Scenic; 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

My Prescott 2M P4 that I used to have in my HTPC would hit 72C+ and when it was in the high 60's/low 70's it never throttled down. Always stayed at 3400MHz. Hot little bastard

Comment

your name is horribly inefficient.
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway, this motherboard is sitting on the shelf because I have no good case for it.
                            So I'll update this thread when I eventually bother buying a nice case for it...

Comment

had a pentium d 805? 2.6? running at 4.1ghz for several years 24/7.folding,ect all that time.
                              ran hotter than a blast furnace.5 pound copper heatsink and 120mm fan.
                              really pissed of one of my business partners at the time since he could not get his new amd to oc much but this board and cpu that came in with recycling fodder free not counting the polys i fixed it with would fold 24/7 with that oc.i could have gotten more by taking off the heat spreader and running a waterblock.sombody with more money than sense wanted it badly and paid well to own it and its bragging rights.

Comment

805 was 2.66

how long ago was this? Jesus I can't get my i7 (B0-reason why) running that high with my modded V8. 4ghz was a high as I got

the reason he coulden't OC was cause the crappy MB.

that and the efficiency between AMD and intel at that perticular time was so different he wouldn't have to overclock much to kick your 805's ass. Probably 3.2-3.5. but with a shitty board, that would be impossible
                                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

32-bit x86 architecture is getting close to 30 years old (the 80386 debuted in 1985), it's time to move on.

You could have a P4 at 12GHz if it was possible, but it still wouldn't beat a decent spec modern system when the going gets tough (e.g. when you're not simply browsing or using a word processor).

Comment

Nothing wrong with having fun overclocking an old CPU. Plus you can still use a P4 for a lot. I have one in my Linux router, my file server, and one of my HTPC's. You don't need an overclocked core i7 extreme edition to host files.......and all Pentium D's were 64 bit

Comment

i7 continues the 386 tradition. Do folds per watt hour justify continuing to use a P4 at any clock speed, let alone at nuclear fusion temps?
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

I doubt it would kill to give 1.6V on a Pentium 4 and 4.2 Ghz.

Even though Core 2 Duo is much more efficient, my Conroe seems to be a struggle.

It would be nice to get 3.5 Ghz out of it, but I'm afraid that it's gonna require 1.5V or close to that!

It would be nice to hit 4.0 or real close with air at 39 F and less!
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-11-2012, 08:49 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

^ With a good motherboard it's piss easy
                                          Low-end ones don't have all the settings to get it stable, especially RAM dividers and such, so you'll end up either overclocking the RAM with the CPU (running into a brick wall cause the RAM limits you) or due to the lack of intermediate multipliers, you'll underclock your RAM (DDR2-800 at DDR2-6xx levels or something), which makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

On Core2-based CPUs, it's pretty much always possible to bump the FSB to the next higher standard speed, i.e. from 200MHz (800) to 266MHz (1066) without even increasing the voltage, or just a miniscule increase of 0.1-0.25V if you've got a "bad" one.
                                          On my old C2D E4300 1.8GHz, that would bump the speed up to 2.4GHz, and that even worked on the crappy but still kinda cool ASRock 4Core Dual-VSTA with a Via PT880 chipset (the last desktop chipset Via released, just BTW), which had no options apart from setting the FSB and two RAM speeds (DDR2-533 or -667).

If you want a board that overclocks well, look around for used ones based on the intel P35 Chipset. Especially Gigabyte ones, like the (E)P35-DS3(R) series and variants. Stay away from Gigabyte boards with an "L" in their model number though. Those are crippled "Lite" boards, with less hardware and BIOS options

I've got a little OC experiment coming up soon. Basically I'm gonna try how far I can push the fastest Core2-based S775 CPU I've got, which is a Pentium Dualcore E6300 (2.8GHz, 1066MHz FSB (= 266MHz) and a 10.5 multiplier), which I got sent after buying a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) on ebay dirt cheap as a test-CPU. Gotta love it when sellers don't know what the heck they've got lol.

Got several boards to try this with

Gigabyte EP35-DS4 (specs ; pic)
                                          Abit IP35 Pro (PDF ; pic)
                                          Abit IP35P (not really an OC board, but does pretty well.. ; PDF ; pic)
                                          and a brand new never used Asus P5K (specs ; pic)

The Asus is brand new cause it's a warranty replacement. It took 2 1/2 months to arrive here. I had already replaced it with a Gigabyte in the customers computer, so it just sat here unused for 2 or so years. I've tested it and it seems to work fine, but I just don't trust it. Even less for a customer computer.

But yeah.. I bet this is going to get interesting :3
                                          Last edited by Scenic; 06-12-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X