Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got lots of junk, what should I do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got lots of junk, what should I do with it?

OK, here's another "I need advice" thread. Over the course of three years or so, I have managed to have sixty-some computers gravitate my way and I can't shake them off. (read: nobody wants to buy them) So what should I do with all the crap? Most of it is like Pentium 3-4 era, and half of it doesn't work, has missing pieces, or just plain trash. Although many of the boards still have viable components, I could desolder what I want and trash the rest. I couldn't donate them to a school or thrift store, because the schools have C2D's and Core i5's (I'm not joking, they do) and the thrift stores won't take them. Trash all of it? Sell it? Nobody buys it, they message me about it then never respond. Gaah! I've gotta downsize in 2 and a 1/2 years so we don't have to build such a big house. I might throw some stuff on ebay just to see if there are any takers, but I doubt it so much I just want some ideas.

Re: Got lots of junk, what should I do with it?

I still use Pentium 4 laptops - what do you have?

Comment

Maybe put an ad on craigslist or whatever is popular in your area and list them all for free? Just leave it outside on your yard and state "first come, first serve".
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Things ranging from 486DX-33's to Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz's

Comment

If you get desperate - And can resist the temptation to collect more
          http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Pennsylvania
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

I'd be buried alive if I didn't get rid of this crap periodically....never accumulated 60 systems though...unless you have a very big place, that has to be floor to ceiling cases and stacks of junk!!

Borrow a pickup and take it to the recyclers.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Here in Colorado, most of those computers are too new to get rid of. People wait until their computers are at least ten years old before they try to get rid of them, and then they won't sell them for less than $50. People actually buy them.

Comment

Sell the C2D... I still use stuff not as nice as that so in my opinion it ain't junk.

Anything older than P4 HT is probably junk unless there is something special with it (EATX, AOpen tube sound, etc.)

If you lived closer I'd have a field day. And a Van for you to borrow.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Sell the C2D... I still use stuff not as nice as that so in my opinion it ain't junk.

Anything older than P4 HT is probably junk unless there is something special with it (EATX, AOpen tube sound, etc.)

If you lived closer I'd have a field day. And a Van for you to borrow.
                  Too bad you live like 8 hours away, and too bad I can't drive!
                  Edit: Alright, more like 6 hours

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    Here in Colorado, most of those computers are too new to get rid of. People wait until their computers are at least ten years old before they try to get rid of them, and then they won't sell them for less than $50. People actually buy them.
                    Well then my crap would sell like hotcakes if they do that!

Comment

This forum has a FOR SALE area. Just post a list of some items....NOT ALL....and state that buyer pays the freight even if item is free. Give it a few weeks for response time (by way of PM). Include the question - are you looking for anything specific. Someone might be looking for a motherboard or power supply and not want to pay freight on entire computer. After that, post another list of items, then another, till all is cleaned up. Anything that doesn't find a new home can then be trashed.

I test my power supply repairs and experiments using old Socket 370 and socket A pentium 3 class motherboards. Power supplies generally don't care what kind of motherboard they are powering. So I don't consider older mother boards to be trash.

As for unusual items - I am on the lookout for a Bestec ATX-250 12E for doing some additional experiments. But...I am not willing to pay much for one. This power supply has some unique circuitry. Usually this is considered trash!

As for my last project, modifying 5vsb on a Antec TruePower330 using a NCP1200 pwm chip, here is a picture of the power supply under test using a Biostar M6VLQ with a pentium 3 cpu. Instead of trashing the motherboard, it is useful!
                      Attached Files
                      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

We're going through a similar situation at my place. Here are the steps that I follow when going through things:
                        Do I need it? If yes keep it, if no, go to the next question
                        Do I know someone that needs it? If yes, get in contact. If not, go to next question
                        Is it worth anything (either eBay, scrap yard, etc). It costs nothing to list it on eBay. If someone pays me $1 for a broken motherboard and pays shipping, then I'm ahead.

Comment

ebay

the processors and ram should fetch a few dollars buy it now for 30 days is like.. 50 cents.. or auction is for free...
                          the motherboards could also get you a few dollars but may be too much hassle due to big size and postage etc

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
                            Trash all of it?
                            Just so you are aware in PA it is now illegal to dispose of electronics such as computers in the trash and trash haulers have been instructed not to take such items.

Harrisburg January 23, 2013 - The Department of Environmental Protection is reminding consumers and businesses that on Thursday, Jan. 24, they will no longer be able to throw away their electronic devices with their trash.

Passed in 2010, the Pennsylvania Covered Device Recycling Act (CDRA) requires that consumers and businesses not dispose of covered devices, such as computers, laptops, computer monitors, televisions and tablets with their trash. This means that trash haulers will no longer take covered devices unless the municipality has a curbside electronics collection program that ultimately sends the devices to an electronics recyclers.

"This law is an important step toward further reducing the amount of waste disposed in our landfills," DEP Secretary Mike Krancer said. "There will be a host of positive impacts from this law, such as deriving economic benefits from precious metals found in electronics, eliminating heavy metals in the environment and encouraging environmental stewardship."

Under CDRA, the covered devices and their components must be properly recycled and may not be taken to, or accepted by, landfills or other solid waste disposal facilities for disposal.

The law also requires that manufacturers of the covered devices provide for the collection, transportation and recycling of these devices by establishing one-day events, permanent collection programs or mail-back programs for consumers. This is offered to consumers at no cost. Manufacturers must work with an electronics recycler that is properly permitted and certified to handle and process electronic waste.

Manufacturers must register their covered device brands with DEP and attach brand labels to those devices. Additionally, retailers who sell electronic covered devices may only sell devices with a manufacturer's brand that is registered with DEP.

Consumerscan also continue to recycle their electronics through a county or municipal electronic recycling program, if one is available. It is recommended that before taking any electronics to collection points or drop-off locations, consumers should first contact that location to see what types of electronics they accept.

Consumers can learn more about the new electronics recycling law and other important information on recycling in general at the 2013 Recycling Industries Congress on Tuesday, Jan. 22, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the East Wing Rotunda of the State Capitol Building in Harrisburg, Dauphin County.

This event, which is open to the public and media, will feature exhibits from 30 recyclers and producers of recycled products to showcase how the recycling industry plays a major role in Pennsylvania.

Secretary Krancer will speak about recycling in Pennsylvania at the news conference from 1 to 1:30 p.m. and will be available for questions after that. The event is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Waste Industries Assoc. and the Pennsylvania Recycling Markets Center.

Consumers can find more information on registered manufacturers and where to recycle their covered devices at www.dep.state.pa.us, keyword: Electronics Recycling.

Additional recycling information is available from county recycling coordinators, whose contact information can be found on DEP's website, keyword: recycle, or through the Recycling Hotline at 1-800-346-4242.

(From the DEP)

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                              Just so you are aware in PA it is now illegal to dispose of electronics such as computers in the trash and trash haulers have been instructed not to take such items.
                              I knew that. I meant "take it all to the nearest Goodwill computer center which is an hour away from where I live"

Comment

If you are just going to trash or donate this equipment, then I would be interested in the Core 2 Duo laptops. I will pay reasonable shipping costs.

Can you list some model numbers, and what state of functionality or missing parts for each?
                                Last edited by crtfool; 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crtfool View Post
                                  If you are just going to trash or donate this equipment, then I would be interested in the Core 2 Duo laptops. I will pay reasonable shipping costs.

Can you list some model numbers, and what state of functionality or missing parts for each?
                                  What C2D laptops?

Comment

I still use Pentium 4 laptops - what do you have?

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
                                    Things ranging from 486DX-33's to Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz's
                                    I asked earlier what you had, and you responded as quoted.
                                    Last edited by crtfool; 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I am a enthusiast of vintage pcs, if you have anything that is pre 386 era, I would be interested if the shipping is reasonable enough.

Also, I've been hunting for a couple of specific components, namely: a Guillemot PCI 12MB Voodoo 2 Maxi Gamer 3D2 add-on video card, ATI VGA Wonder ISA video card, SCSI hard drives less than 500MB, Black 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drives, Black AT tower cases, quality AT power supplies, Roland LAPC-I sound card, original Sound Blaster ISA sound cards, original Ad-lib sound cards, really any historically "significant" sound cards (I'm kind of a sound card enthusiast and collect them for curiosity's sake). If you have any of the above listed components, I may be interested in actually purchasing them from you.

Justin

Comment

I asked earlier what you had, and you responded as quoted.
                                        Oh sorry. I didn't know you meant laptops. I put both laptops and desktops there. I don't have any C2D laptops I would be willing to sell (those are my primary and secondary laptops)

Comment

Working...
                                        X